HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone use their HDS in a headband as a headlamp?

The Malkoff head-strap is what comes to mind first, and I am wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with this.
I have this set up and while the light does have some weight to it, it was not too heavy for this.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just scored an HDS EDC Ultimate 60xr mint here on CPF. I'm super stoked. Can't wait for it to arrive. Love the old natural HAIII. Does anyone else still edc one? If so what has it been like to use a piece of HDS history?

Bought mine in 2007 or 2008... Still one of my most used light. I changed the LED to an high CRI SSC in 2010 and I'm still amazed by the nice beam and tint of this combo. I admit, not very bright compared to modern lights but built like a tank, exceptional runtime on low and with a nice PEU trit bezel, this light is still awesome after all these years.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses :)

RCS1300, what kind of work on what kind of passenger vehicles?

I work on my two vehicles. Completed jobs including new heads, timing chains, cv axles, fuel pump, timing belts, alternators, starters, wheel bearings, struts, brakes, radiators, sensors, etc. Engines include 4.7L V8 and 3.0L V6.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Bought mine in 2007 or 2008... Still one of my most used light. I changed the LED to an high CRI SSC in 2010 and I'm still amazed by the nice beam and tint of this combo. I admit, not very bright compared to modern lights but built like a tank, exceptional runtime on low and with a nice PEU trit bezel, this light is still awesome after all these years.

Who did you get to mod it? Do you have any pictures? I might considering having that done if I can find someone...

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who did you get to mod it? Do you have any pictures? I might considering having that done if I can find someone...

I did this exact mod myself. Of all of the HDS designs, this one is the easiest to mod, especially with an SSC. The SSC is a straight drop-in for the Luxeon, and the anodized heat sink provides isolation for the SSC base, which can't contact the ground in the light.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this set up and while the light does have some weight to it, it was not too heavy for this.

Thanks!

I work on my two vehicles. Completed jobs including new heads, timing chains, cv axles, fuel pump, timing belts, alternators, starters, wheel bearings, struts, brakes, radiators, sensors, etc. Engines include 4.7L V8 and 3.0L V6.

Ah, very nice!

midget

Enlightened
Does anyone use their HDS in a headband as a headlamp?

The Malkoff head-strap is what comes to mind first, and I am wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with this.

i wear my hds periodically w/ the nite ize headband. i wear it over a ball cap. the light naturally points higher than your line of sight unless you tilt the band to point downwards, but that is more of a critique of the headband than the light itself.

overall the hds fits securely in the elastic holder and is not too heavy. the headband is not bulky -- compact enough that i just carry it around at the bottom of my edc bag and its there when i need it. it was worth the $7 that i paid.

Last edited:

moltenmag

Enlightened
I did this exact mod myself. Of all of the HDS designs, this one is the easiest to mod, especially with an SSC. The SSC is a straight drop-in for the Luxeon, and the anodized heat sink provides isolation for the SSC base, which can't contact the ground in the light.

Sounds awesome. Did changing the LED affect the runtime at all? What did the tint look like?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wear my hds periodically w/ the nite ize headband. i wear it over a ball cap. the light naturally points higher than your line of sight unless you tilt the band to point downwards, but that is more of a critique of the headband than the light itself.

overall the hds fits securely in the elastic holder and is not too heavy. the headband is not bulky -- compact enough that i just carry it around at the bottom of my edc bag and its there when i need it. it was worth the $7 that i paid.

I've thought about making a leather headband for the HDS, but haven't had much time to work on it. Elastic just wears out. I don't care for Velcro either, so the fastening issue presents a wee bit of an issue.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, midget!

I'm pretty excited for my first HDS, but my timing is terrible as I've been getting more and more headlamp use instead of flashlights, so it's good to hear that there are options.

ven

Flashaholic
I've thought about making a leather headband for the HDS, but haven't had much time to work on it. Elastic just wears out. I don't care for Velcro either, so the fastening issue presents a wee bit of an issue.

That would be awesome, just dont get it wet and stand in Tucson sun!!!!!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds awesome. Did changing the LED affect the runtime at all? What did the tint look like?

Hmm... looks like my reply is lost in cyberspace. Again:

The tint is awesome, as those HCRI SSC's that Technocowboy got for the group buy were just beautiful, neutral CCT and one of the best CRI LED's I've seen. The only gripe about them is they are a little uneven between the hotspot and spill, but only a white-wall issue.

The run time can't change, the power is calibrated to give the stated lumens for the original emitter. So I get identical run time at higher brightness, as the SSC is a newer, more efficient emitter. Now, I can program settings to a lower level, and get close to the same brightness I had before, with more run time. For my mod, two levels down will get me very close to the old levels for each setting, as it about doubled the brightness.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think you need to worry about the longevity of elastic as it lasts plenty long enough considering the price. I have elastic headlamp headbands that are several years old, with likely multiple hundreds of hours of use on them and they still work just fine. Considering they cost like $5, I think I got my moneys worth even if they failed tomorrow lol.

I am not a big fan of velcro either but, it definitely works great for certain applications even if it does need to be replaced periodically.

All products and solutions have a lifespan. While some have a longer one then others, the price and effectiveness of a particular product must be considered. Sometimes it is worth trading longevity for a product that works better imo.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you need to worry about the longevity of elastic as it lasts plenty long enough considering the price. I have elastic headlamp headbands that are several years old, with likely multiple hundreds of hours of use on them and they still work just fine. Considering they cost like $5, I think I got my moneys worth even if they failed tomorrow lol.

I am not a big fan of velcro either but, it definitely works great for certain applications even if it does need to be replaced periodically.

All products and solutions have a lifespan. While some have a longer one then others, the price and effectiveness of a particular product must be considered. Sometimes it is worth trading longevity for a product that works better imo.

I don't much care about price. Factoring in time is what I look at. The time to replace. The time involved in ordering it. Also, "works better" is very subjective. I've been using headlamps daily in the leather shop since I started doing leather work as a hobby. I generally get six months out of an elastic headband. I don't expect more. I spend the next six months just dealing with it, until I buy a new headlamp with better efficiency so it won't shut off in the middle of something. It's why I have really wanted HDS to come out with a headlamp.
I won't use elastic or Velcro in anything I make because I offer a lifetime warranty. My lifetime. When I'm dead, your warranty ends. So I try to make everything so it will last longer than me, and unfortunately, according to my family gene pool, I'll be around to my mid 90's though I'm doing just about everything in my power to avoid staying on this spinning rock that long much to the dismay of my doctor.
For me, a lot of the goods I buy, I only want to buy once unless it is disposable. Even my water filter is good for 6000 gallons, and at a gallon a day for drinking, I won't have to replace the filters for 16 years. Damn. I'll have to replace them in another 6.

ven

Flashaholic
I'll be around to my mid 90's though I'm doing just about everything in my power to avoid staying on this spinning rock that long much to the dismay of my doctor.
For me, a lot of the goods I buy, I only want to buy once unless it is disposable. Even my water filter is good for 6000 gallons, and at a gallon a day for drinking, I won't have to replace the filters for 16 years. Damn. I'll have to replace them in another 6.

How many filters will you have to buy, till you pop your clogs when in your 90's.......:poke:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't much care about price. Factoring in time is what I look at. The time to replace. The time involved in ordering it. Also, "works better" is very subjective. I've been using headlamps daily in the leather shop since I started doing leather work as a hobby. I generally get six months out of an elastic headband. I don't expect more. I spend the next six months just dealing with it, until I buy a new headlamp with better efficiency so it won't shut off in the middle of something. It's why I have really wanted HDS to come out with a headlamp.
I won't use elastic or Velcro in anything I make because I offer a lifetime warranty. My lifetime. When I'm dead, your warranty ends. So I try to make everything so it will last longer than me, and unfortunately, according to my family gene pool, I'll be around to my mid 90's though I'm doing just about everything in my power to avoid staying on this spinning rock that long much to the dismay of my doctor.

I am not sure how you are using your elastic headbands or what brand you are buying but, mine last for years and I am not just sitting in a leather shop(although maybe you put more hours on them working in the shop day in and day out). Mine are used in all kinds of weather conditions while rock climbing, backcountry camping, hunting, hiking, and fishing as well as while doing mechanics and carpentry. Are you using them around a lot of chemicals? Do you use a headband with a top strap? How tight are you wearing them? As for efficiency, you don't have to wait for an HDS headlamp to get that. There are plenty of very efficient models out there and many are significantly more efficient then what HDS's current drivers offer.

I understand why you wouldn't want to offer elastic or velcro if you were making them to sell considering your warranty. I was more thinking from a personal use perspective. And, I like to buy things that last too but, having a few spare headbands on hand doesn't bother me as they cost like $5 and buying them in numbers(bulk) means no more time needs to spend ordering or waiting for a replacement. Plus, then if one gets damaged while using it in harsh conditions I am only out a few bucks.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
So, I was playing with my hcri 200lm Clicky last night, and had forgotten that a six click from off command resulted in true tactical momentary on max level. Is there any way to exit that other than removing the battery for 60 seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.