HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is 20/12 that's correct and maybe I can get to 20/10, that's like hall vision almost I think.
No I ve not decided, either the 5700 or the sw45... I have a 5700 Tactical already, thinking of making it a tactical but not sure yet... then I have a tactical already also in the Seal 250. Do I need 2 of the same? Not really and by the way 4k isn't too warm for me... I just remembered the 4k 325, I loved that tint but didn't care fir the throw... I think that's why I didn't like the 5k 3' o clock... 250 out threw it noticeably.

I have found the HDS lights to be perfect EDC pocket lights and not throw lights. However, my guess is that the 250 lumen HDS light will throw a beam further than a HDS 200 lumen high CRI light. So, if throw is your thing with the HDS lights I might suggest going with the 250 lumen emitter. If rendering colors - reds, browns, blues, etc is your thing I would go with a HDS high CRI emitter. Check out the emarkd post #1812 for the tint variations (although, I think the 219c version yields a yellow tint and not a green tint as emarkd suggests, but I may be blind to color :)).

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[emoji3]Good news first, I have just had confirmation that my HDS groupbuy lights and custom Thor's Hammer leather pouch has arrived at the post office. Now the [emoji35]bad news I have got to pay £139.38 customs charges. If I am lucky enough to score a Titanium Rotary I wonder what the import duty will be on that[emoji50]

Probably the same. The package was marked as "gift" and the total cost on the package was a good deal lower than the actual cost. We list the "value" as the insured amount, and the cap on insurance was less than half the actual value.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but this thread is moving so fast that I have motion sickness. 18650 battery tubes available tomorrow?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'll try to keep tabs today on the forum but will be at what I thought was going to be "C word" but the g/f's pronunciation or my hearing is not so good and we are going to "Sea World". Big difference. Not sure if I should be disappointed or happy.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general all my goods I buy overseas will at least be picked up by me at customs. I know the custom rates, and how much I need to pay @ customs. I only buy overseas if the item is cheaper with the included customs duty, or I buy it in my country.

In General in most countries, there is a max. value that will be free of customs, regardless if it is marked as gift or not. Even if it is a real gift by friends or Family, you must pay customs if the value is over this max. Limit of the item value. The regulatins will be different in the particular Country, but in the EU it is more or less the same.

In my case my HDS parcel value with my "Low K" Lights is far beyond the max. free customs value, herefore I know I will meet the People @ customs. I will take a bunch of CR123 with me to customs. Also this People like to Play with Flashlights. :D

Last edited:

jruser

Newly Enlightened
What LED's are going to show up tomorrow? Is it just the F89HG and the high noon?

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Is there any scenario where more people will be able to place F89HG orders than the number of LED's available? If the order goes through, does that mean we were fast enough?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any scenario where more people will be able to place F89HG orders than the number of LED's available? If the order goes through, does that mean we were fast enough?

As far as I know, when the supply of emitters is gone, it is gone at least for this round. There may or may not be more emitters available but that could be months from now.

Orders that were successfully placed, as I understand it, will have an email confirmation sent to them either Friday or Saturday - most likely Saturday though. I do believe that it is a manual inventory system meaning that there may be more orders taken for emitters than emitters available before the website can be updated. Time stamp of order is important. If I recall correctly, HDS will contact you if that is the case and give you an opportunity to update your order so you do not have to start over. There are three posts in the last few pages with specifics from Hogo at HDS.

Post # 1599 re: oversells
Post # 1603 re: options
Post # 1608 re; timestamps

Basically, place your order carefully and make all choice selections - emitter, button, lens, etc - as quickly as you can after 12 noon Tucson, AZ time.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
[emoji3]Good news first, I have just had confirmation that my HDS groupbuy lights and custom Thor's Hammer leather pouch has arrived at the post office. Now the [emoji35]bad news I have got to pay £139.38 customs charges. If I am lucky enough to score a Titanium Rotary I wonder what the import duty will be on that[emoji50]

Bout £165 approx

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, when the supply of emitters is gone, it is gone at least for this round. There may or may not be more emitters available but that could be months from now.

Orders that were successfully placed, as I understand it, will have an email confirmation sent to them either Friday or Saturday - most likely Saturday though. I do believe that it is a manual inventory system meaning that there may be more orders taken for emitters than emitters available before the website can be updated. Time stamp of order is important. If I recall correctly, HDS will contact you if that is the case and give you an opportunity to update your order so you do not have to start over. There is a post in the last few pages with specifics from Hogo at HDS.

Here is exactly how orders work at HDS.
You place the order. We get an email from PayPal and it shows up in the PayPal system in the order they are placed.
Henry manually enters the order into the accounting system in the order it is received from PayPal.
Henry sends a confirmation email to the person who ordered (sometimes people have incorrect or out of date email addresses in PayPal and they bounce back. That's on you.)
This is the sequence in which orders are filled.

On Friday, Henry will be at the computer from noon until around 3, then he has to leave and won't be back until Saturday morning... when I will be back as well, but may not be at HDS until Monday.
Henry will have to keep a manual count.

I've been working hard to secure more "stuff" so that at least the folks who order tomorrow don't get disappointed. It will depend on demand. The smallest number of emitters we have are the 3 O'clock High. You could count those on two hands if you get my meaning.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Orders that were successfully placed, as I understand it, will have an email confirmation sent to them either Friday or Saturday - most likely Saturday though. I do believe that it is a manual inventory system meaning that there may be more orders taken for emitters than emitters available before the website can be updated. Time stamp of order is important. If I recall correctly, HDS will contact you if that is the case and give you an opportunity to update your order so you do not have to start over. There are three posts in the last few pages with specifics from Hogo at HDS.

Post # 1599 re: oversells
Post # 1603 re: options
Post # 1608 re; timestamps

Basically, place your order carefully and make all choice selections - emitter, button, lens, etc - as quickly as you can after 12 noon Tucson, AZ time.

You are awesome!

d13avo

Enlightened
Probably the same. The package was marked as "gift" and the total cost on the package was a good deal lower than the actual cost. We list the "value" as the insured amount, and the cap on insurance was less than half the actual value.

Yes Dan thank you for that. I did notice you entered gift and you didn't put the correct amount to try to save me some money, cheers. 50/50 chance sometimes they come straight to my door and other times they get held by customs. Let's hope if I'm lucky enough to snag a Titanium it sneaks through but if not then I'll be down to the post office as soon as they open to pay my customs charges.

tyu

Newly Enlightened
Remember the wish list from not so long ago? Every last thing that gets mentioned IS noticed and IS discussed. <snip> If it has been mentioned on the forum here, it has been discussed by Henry and I... and there are even a few things people may have forgotten about (as I haven't heard them for awhile) but are in the planning stages).

I searched and found some mention of ramping the light up and down, but nothing that quite matches the ramping UI of the Emisar D4 which has a single electronic switch.

I would love to have a ramping UI as an option for my Executives. This would combine the toughness of the clicky with the task-oriented tuning of the rotary. Anything like that on the list?

For those unfamiliar with the D4, I'll try to summarize from memory:

From Off:
click: on to last-level (in memory)
press-and-hold: on to minimum (release when light comes on)
press-and-hold, and hold: on to minimum, then ramp up to maximum
double-click: maximum

From On:
click: off
double-click: toggle between maximum and last-level
press-and-hold: ramp up or down stopping at minimum or maximum. release, press-and-hold to switch directions

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll politely suggest that the current UI on any flavor of HDS has been developed from years of practical use, and is unlikely to change anytime soon. While the D4 UI is fun to use, the HDS programming is pretty awesome.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched and found some mention of ramping the light up and down

you can ramp an HDS during the customization of a preset
but HDS exits ramping automatically after 10 seconds.. it will not stay in ramping mode indefinitely like the D4.

the HDS ramping is designed to give you access to the 24 modes, so you can choose 4 of them as presets. Some people leave their light in Programming mode, and when they want to change a preset, they customize its level on the fly.

For example, the lowest level on an HDS is 0.02 lumens. You can assign a preset to that level. This could be useful when going into a movie theater. But once you exit the dark theater, they might want to reset that lowest preset to a different lumen level, for example 5 lumens (Level 14 or 15 depending on model)

during customization, the User would ramp from the level 1 to the level 15 (or vice versa), and then save that level as one of the 4 presets. Most users will just save the lowest level they want to one of the 4 presets, and set other levels to the other presets.

Next you will probably want to know what the factory presets are. I do not think anybody knows (I double dog Dare somebody to post the correct answer), but you could figure it out by entering programming mode and looking for the double flash that indicates what the preset level is, during customization.

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/EdcClickyAdvUsersGuide.pdf
"Follow these steps to customize a brightness preset:
• See Enabling Customization (section 11) to enable customization.
• Turn on your flashlight and select the preset you want to customize.
• Triple-press-hold-release. Your flashlight will display the current brightness level. If the current brightness level is the minimum or maximum level, the displayed level will start with a double-blink.
• Click to move to the next brightness level. Double-click to reverse direction and move to the previous brightness level. The menu is circular – the last item is followed by the first and the first is preceded by the last. When you get to the minimum or maximum level, the displayed level will start with a double-blink.
• Press-and-hold the button to select the current brightness level. Your flashlight will display a dim-to-bright sequence to indicate you are setting the brightness level. Release the button after your flashlight turns off and your flashlight will return to the selected preset with the newly selected brightness level.
• N o t e : your flashlight will exit the Brightness Menu with 5 rapid flashes without changing the preset if an error is detected. Possible errors include entering an unknown command, not entering a command for 10 seconds and not holding the button down until your flashlight turns off when selecting a brightness level.
"

there is a chart on page 11 that lets you figure out the lumen value of each of the 24 steps:
41409437160_6a1240b3c1_h.jpg

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched and found some mention of ramping the light up and down

Ramping as one of the programmable presets on the Executive (click only models) does sound pretty cool. So, for example, on programmable setting one a person could program the HDS light for a ramping mode instead of a lumen level. Starts at moonlight and ramps to the highest level at the rate of one level per click and backs down one level per click after two clicks. Of course, easy said...

tyu

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, and maybe my low post count has helped to muddy the waters. I've been lurking a very long time (since 2008?) and I've reprogrammed my Executives (and recent rotary) many times. I understand how all that works. My question was whether or not a ramping UI was a possibility on the wishlist Hogo has made.

Either the greater toughness of the clicky is an asset or it isn't.
Either the ramping light levels of the rotary is an asset or it isn't.

On more than one occasion I have wished the clicky in my hand were differently-configured. I know I can leave them all in programming mode and adjust them as-needed on the fly, but that takes (a little) time.

Wouldn't it be a great to combine those assets (as an option) for the best of both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts