HDS Systems EDC #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
When you do not know which light to take with you...take three...decide later.

Three light holster/pouch from Thors Custom Leather:

three.jpg

clip.jpg

Wow yes that is a great setup you have there. Nice job

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back. I shot stuff. I feel better.

InvisibleFrodo. No, it wasn't you and your questions are legitimate. As are your questions regarding filters.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in the CPF forums on and off for over six years. What I have learned is that folks in the HDS forums tend to know quite a bit about flashlights from experience owning and using many different kinds of lights including HDS. Unfortunately, that knowledge base attracts many to the HDS forums. It has come to the point that all posts from certain members I simply do not even read because, well, you know. Actually saves a lot of time. Now, if there is a picture I may stop and look at the post if it is a shiny picture but I still will not waste time reading the post....

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
White balance in the head is an interesting thing. Now I was with a friend when I was descending from the 16th floor - they turned off the light, I turned on the flashlight and saw that it was warm yellow light, as if 4000K, but it's standard 6000K, how is color temperature outside?

In general, as I think, a high CRI is just a cherry on a big cake, but some people just want blackberries or strawberries instead of cherries, forgetting what could be worse, much worse))

For example, I bought these diodes and put them in a module, it's like a neutral light 4300-4750K

together xenon 65 lm

Maybe the resulting light has 4300-4750K, but in reality the center is bluer than some old diodes with 7000K. I saved this module and sometimes turn it on to remember where we could be located without new developments Cree, Nichia, Seoul and other.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's jogged a memory of something that went through my head a few weeks ago.
High Noon in Tuscon must me much brighter (cooler) than High Noon in North Norfolk due to the difference in Latitudes.
Which explains why Dan likes 5700k and I prefer 4500k. Mind you I wouldn't kick one out of bed.
P

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a little offtopic, but bright blue light is very important for children, it does not allow myopia to develop. Although it is even better to keep them on the street more time, under the action of blue light, dopamine is released in the set part of the eye, which causes it to grow and remain round (this does not work if myopia has already begun to manifest).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4585532/

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in the CPF forums on and off for over six years. What I have learned is that folks in the HDS forums tend to know quite a bit about flashlights from experience owning and using many different kinds of lights including HDS. Unfortunately, that knowledge base attracts many to the HDS forums. It has come to the point that all posts from certain members I simply do not even read because, well, you know. Actually saves a lot of time. Now, if there is a picture I may stop and look at the post if it is a shiny picture but I still will not waste time reading the post....

You can click on someone's name... and the 3rd line down... there is this option...
screen-shot-2019-03-01-at-07-18-19.png
:naughty:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,
What about a dedicated "Release Thread" which is always locked, unless you unlock it to post news of a new release. Then people who are tired of the cut and thrust (I think that's irony) of the main thread, can still keep in touch with what's going wrong without maxing out their Blood Pressure Monitors.
It would be a public service.
P

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can click on someone's name... and the 3rd line down... there is this option...
screen-shot-2019-03-01-at-07-18-19.png
:naughty:

Wow. Did not know it existed. Thx.

Update: Name still pops up on the thread with bold type that attracts even more attention. So, not so good.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened

LOL! I need to get this choice in my psyches database...two of my daughters came back from college...transformed somehow...strange values and weird talk about "mysoginists" and "toxic masculinity"...

But...one of their friends was here the other day...a person as far away from my worldview and moral compass orientation as you can possibly get...seriously. She noticed my little flashlight collection and expressed interest in them so I took out the rotary High Noon and the rotary 35k, demonstrated the rotary function and gave her a brief rundown on the differences in color temps, CRI etc. I elaborated a bit further on its super reliability and how she was now holding what many consider to be the best flashlight in the world. She was genuinely impressed and said "I've always loved little flashlights, I'd love to have one of those, that is so cool!" For that little moment, we were united! We were relating!

So...The HDS has now been used to bridge social and political division! What a light!

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Did not know it existed. Thx.

Update: Name still pops up on the thread with bold type that attracts even more attention. So, not so good.
You have to excercise some self control and not click it open, but once you get used to it you can avoid a lot of stress.
P

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't used it.

LOL! I need to get this choice in my psyches database...two of my daughters came back from college...transformed somehow...strange values and weird talk about "mysoginists" and "toxic masculinity"

Have them watch "The Red Pill" and careful with your lights. You have many and she has none so she should have one of yours!

Dan,
What about a dedicated "Release Thread" which is always locked, unless you unlock it to post news of a new release. Then people who are tired of the cut and thrust (I think that's irony) of the main thread, can still keep in touch with what's going wrong without maxing out their Blood Pressure Monitors.
It would be a public service.
P

Now that is a very good idea! But then other folks won't get to feel my pain...

Next time we have a release, I'm going to do this... though we do keep the horrible web site updated with that info as well.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
He wont see your reply thermal guy................probably this reply to your reply as well haha j/k

I dont get involved too much , but i will say HDS probably has the most passionate of users(or shelf queen'ers lol) Either way, hogo you have made a huge difference for sure, and all positive imho. You have allowed many to get pretty much their favourite flavour of choice, in their bullet proof light. So hats off, i tend to read more than i post here but do enjoy the forum. Malkoff has a lot of passion over there to, in fact, quite a few members frequent both with passion.

Thanks for all you do, i know i speak for many and i know its far from easy. What one wants, another wants different. The choices in metals was the icing on the cake. Maybe one day i will be lucky enough to own a nice special HDS. But if we all got what we wanted easy and every time, there would be nothing to aim for or appreciate as much, once owning.

Enough waffle by me, thanks again for everything:rock:

I use my 219b 4k quite a bit, however i have decided the 18650 body is not quite me. Granted it will run for ever, but i prefer the "cant put down" shape/size/feel of the 16340 body. I have many lights, yet the tank build, rotary UI is well up there as an all time love. Lights will come, some will go...................HDS forever!
5GzVlR4l.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I think part of the reason there's so much passion and discussion is there are SO many choices today. An unbelievable time to be a Flashaholic. Choices weren't always the way at HDS, and some have gotten used to other makers/builders/manufacturers bending over backwards to cater to every individual who drops in on a thread or wants to place an order.

We have, today, responsiveness and involvment of someone actually at HDS that's orders of magnitude above what we've had before. Info, choices, special runs, responsiveness to questions or concerns, etc. way beyond what was there before. It could be like Mr. Ford said back in the day- "Any color you want as long as it's black". And there was a rabid fanbase for HDS in those days: go back and look at the threads. Let's cut Hogo some slack and appreciate what he's done to change communication and transparency for us lunatics. And yes, the "ignore" feature is pretty cool. I personally can't use it, but it would save some anguish if more people did. My $.02...

ven

Flashaholic
Agree 100%, very nicely said, hogo is a hero imho for HDS and does an amazing job. Something i could not do.................well unless i had copious amounts of rum, but hen i would probably tell every one to *beep* off lol

I have always loved HDS and henry's work and years of refinement, hogo has brought it to his customers(and potential ones) front room. Its easy to type out and post a want, but it is not so easy getting it done!!! Hats off to HDS

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... i tend to read more than i post here ....

Well that's a lot of reading ... and congrats on 20K posts, by the way ;) :eek:oo: :party:

.... And yes, the "ignore" feature is pretty cool. I personally can't use it, but it would save some anguish if more people did. My $.02...

But then what would we do with all of our extra free time ? :thinking:

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think part of the reason there's so much passion and discussion is there are SO many choices today.

Absolutely! When I decided to purchase my first HDS light the wait was months, if that fast and deadlines were being missed often -- that was back in 2013-2014. My first HDS Tactical Rotary light was purchased from Brightguy.

Fast forward to this year. What a difference. I was able to purchase four different lights within a span of 6 months and one light - the 5700 High Noon was delivered within 7 days of it being ordered! What an outstanding time to be a HDS enthusiast.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
We interrupt this program to announce that I'm an idiot. (Some of you may have already suspected as much, but let's not have everyone speak up at once.) Last night I separated a bezel/reflector assembly for the first time. Partially because of ignorance and partially because of high gravity beer, I reassembled it incorrectly, without the lens and O-ring sandwich. After spending half of the day trying to take it back apart, it finally acquiesced. Then, just as I had all of the parts lined up correctly, I fumbled and dropped everything in such a way that the lens got trapped between the falling steel bezel and a granite table top.

CRACK!

So I broke my first lens. Now I have an order in with Unique Titanium for a new glass lens (at least it wasn't sapphire!) and I got a spare reflector, in case I muck something else up. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.