HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question, did HDS reduce the reset time when the head is disconnected from the tube (power supply), compared to older models? I think the manual states about 60s to reset, but my latest light resets after like 25-30s. I measured around drain with power connected, which seems about normal, but the lower reset time concerns me...last time I had that in a light, it was my legacy Hi CRI, and it had to be replaced :(

There is variation in the reset time and 60 seconds is stated because all the lights should reset in that time frame. 5µA is well within spec.

nbp

Staff member
Rotaries really are perfect camping lights. I’m camping this weekend and so far my lighting consists of a propane lantern for the picnic table to light the site when necessary (still like that warm 360* Incan glow), a small dimmable Black Diamond Mobi LED lantern hanging in the tent for getting settled before bed, and my silvertail NLT 325 Rotary for everything else. It is doing everything I could ask of it.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
In case anyone is interested Little CNC Shop has some satin Ti bezels in stock. The inventory on the website was messed up.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Sorry for the delay. This samsung is probably my favorite. Tint is perfect. Goes well in the hds reflector. No tint shift and a good combo of flood and a spot with the favoring to flood.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked the appearance of the HDS host. They remind me of that old ARC with the funny boot, but neater. I do not mind a max brightness of 225Lm on the LED option I'd get (SS40 High CRI 4000°K 225 lumens). Two details bother me about HDS that are difficult for me to overcome.
1) no 18350 battery tube
2) crenellations only, no smooth bezels.

For the price of a supposedly custom light, I should be able to get a smooth bezel. Crenellations are vain, useless, ugly, and eat pockets. It seems to be the one superfluous and thoughtless detail all HDS lights have, no exceptions.

I also have a suspicion that I might think the lowest light level is not low enough. Anyone know the lumen value of it?

That's my beef. But I like about everything else about HDS. But just how difficult would it be for HDS to accommodate me and any that agree with me? Who doesn't want 18350 runtime? Who wouldn't consider a smooth bezel? Who would hate a few sublumen firefly modes? Are you with me? Join me in protest! We can change the world! Well, maybe not worth the protest, but sometimes makers listen and adapt.

What I don't understand is the difference between a tactical and a rotary, which I think I would choose from to have HDS customize. Could someone please explain the difference to me? TIA

I also don't understand the difference between a bicycle, executive and LE, but I don't really care because I'm not interested in them. I do think I understand the difference between them and the rotary and executive, which seems pretty obvious... the rotary function.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price of a supposedly custom light, I should be able to get a smooth bezel. Crenellations are vain, useless, ugly, and eat pockets. It seems to be the one superfluous and thoughtless detail all HDS lights have, no exceptions.

What I don't understand is the difference between a tactical and a rotary, which I think I would choose from to have HDS customize. Could someone please explain the difference to me? TIA

I also don't understand the difference between a bicycle, executive and LE, but I don't really care because I'm not interested in them. I do think I understand the difference between them and the rotary and executive, which seems pretty obvious... the rotary function.

I used to think the same about crenellations - until i gor my first HDS. The only reason I find them useful is for when I place the light bezel down, I can see if it's on and where it is in the dark if I do leave it on. I've been carrying one in my jeans or snugs pocket for a couple of years now, and the smotth crenellations have not done any damage.

Both the Rotary and Tactical have the same knob on the back, just the programming is different. With the Rotary the whole dial is used to control the brightness ramp. With the Tactical half the dial controls the ramp, and the other two quarters can be programmed to different fixed levels or flashy modes. You'd have to send the light back to Henry to turn a Rotary into a Tactical and vice versa.

All the non rotary or Clicky models are exactly the same, apart from the way they are programmed direct from HDS, you can reprogram them exactly how you wish. No need to send them back to Henry.

I hope that helps, I havem't had my Cornflaes yet.
P

neco

Newly Enlightened
I like the crenellations and don’t think they look ugly. I would be fine with smooth bezel as well but either way I don’t think it would affect the functionality of the light.

Lowest lumen output is low enough for me, not sure that I personally would have a use for an even lower lower than that. In use I am always using it above that level and the low level on the HDS is way below any of the low levels from the other lights I own.

18350 battery tube would be nice, I would like that if there was the option. But CR123 batteries are easy to buy and very common so no complaints otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who doesn't want 18350 runtime? Who wouldn't consider a smooth bezel? Who would hate a few sublumen firefly modes?

I don't want a smooth bezel. But @TheJlew85 does. Join the movement here.

I'm very satisfied with the logarithmic spacing of the 24 levels. Believe that jon_sliders's opinion is that there are too many sublumen modes! Tough choices. :confused:

+1 on the 18350.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you peter yetman, nice explanation, easy to understand.

I used to think the same about crenellations - until i gor my first HDS. The only reason I find them useful is for when I place the light bezel down, I can see if it's on and where it is in the dark if I do leave it on.

You're putting it down wrong. LOL. I can understand bezel down with incan, only one level, sort of gives another light level. But bezel down with a light that has very low modes has less of a point.

I've been carrying one in my jeans or snugs pocket for a couple of years now, and the smotth crenellations have not done any damage.

Good to know, yes, very helpful

I like the crenellations and don’t think they look ugly. I would be fine with smooth bezel as well but either way I don’t think it would affect the functionality of the light.

Thanks for the input, neco. My rebut is that it is an aesthetic choice, but also that I don't want a useless feature. It's like saying, I don't use it, but I don't mind the can opener function, and it's there if need it. Whatever it is crenellations are supposed to do, which I always thought was a knife of sorts, (bykfixer has explained that originally they were for a martial art called... escapes me, but the point is that it is a handheld weapon), something else does it far better. Namely, a knife. Don't want a flashlight on my knife, either.

Smooth bezel proof of concept is profoundly attractive!
0zWllfF.jpg

Sos24, appreciated! 0.02Lm is low enough!

I like to do this.

Brightness levels:
wTacyZU.jpg

Runtime:
z27q76l.jpg

Thanks for the link, lion504.

Believe that jon_sliders's opinion is that there are too many sublumen modes!

We had a chat last night. He prefers smooth ramping to little jumps. Honestly, I would similarly prefer a dimmer switch somehow stuffed in an incan E z52. Works with the dining room chandelier, no reason it can't work for a flashlight. But the majority rigidly prefer only running lamps at their single spec.

An 18500 body could be a big jump in run time, but also host 16340, cr123, 14500...

Good points, Strintguy. Beyond 18350, I too would like to see 18500 and 14500.

So I guess we are stuck with CR123A for the best runtime in the most compact form. I don't mind running CR123A, intrinsically, but running them is outrageously more expensive than running secondary Li-ion, and the lumens are burdened with guilt.

I'd just like to wrap up my post with what I really appreciate about HDS:
1) constant current
2) current regulation
3) HiCRI options
4) one hand operation
5) tail standing or tactical button options
6) sleek and simple design to the host shape, grippy knurling, no extraneous decoration (except crenellations)

Edit: one thing I haven't seen is any images of the light from front on. I'd like to see the reflector and LED placement.

Edit2: just finished searching Google Images. No HDS front pics. Another observation: HDS clips are outrageously expensive. There is a $12 option. They should all be between $12 - $25. $41 is nuts for what you get, unless that is sterling silver. $57 is crazy. No deep carry option. For as popular a light as the HDS EDC is (btw, also hate the model name "EDC." That trendy name is spent. Call it "Pegasus," or better, "Apollo." Something more original that is inspirational), it is surprising how few aftermarket accessories there are. I want a stainless removable bezel down deep carry pocket clip. Not too much to ask. Dedicated mic stand mount sleeve. Standard tripod mount sleeve. Delrin tail stand sleeve for the raised button option. Lanyard with "HDS Rotary" stitched in. Borosilicate glass Blue, Green, Selective Yellow, Amber, Red, Deep Red, IR & diffuser filter sets (filtered color is inefficient, but better than nothing) that snap inside the bezel, light sealed, extremely close to but not quite against the lens that won't pop out until you want them to.

Edit3: Found one

7SAjOUR.jpg

I would not mind a metal ring around the LED to hide the driver, like in the newer generation Maratacs.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The crenelations are there to see if the light is on when bezel down on a table, and for use with the locater beacon in the same way. Easy to find it on the nightstand. It is why they are smooth crenelations. Anyone using an HDS as a weapon is either an complete idiot or out of other options.

HDS was actually using the term EDC long before it was hip. It is like people calling any light with a dial for adjustment a "Rotary".

Something to read:
https://www.hdssystems.com/Content/Pioneer/

18350 has been brought up a lot. Don't except it in the next several years.

HDS is NOT a custom light. It is more a small production run light with options.

And as far as protesting goes, you would not like to hear my views of how they should be gunned down and their families charged for the bullets.

Last edited:

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
The HDS bezel is a pretty common "standard" size, so it has been relatively easy to find or make filters for it.

The older SureFire filter sets worked nicely, Olight (IIRC) filters also could be adjusted to fit, even water bottle caps make a nice diffuser.

nbp

Staff member
The crenellations are not sharp at all. It’s not like the Surefire Porcupines or something. Don’t worry about them eating pockets - it won’t happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.