HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffg0330

Newly Enlightened
While being home quarantined this weekend I've been reading up on HDS lights as I've always heard great things, and think I'd like the rotary UI. This thread in particular has been amazingly informative and clearly shows the almost cult like reverence some (most) of you guys have for HDS! Having direct access to the company through Hogo is really cool too.
As I find myself considering dropping $300+ on one light I was wondering if anyone might be able to compare beam shots of the NLT 325 LM neutral white at 5000k versus the SS40 high CRI 225 LM at 4000k please? I think there are older photos in this thread that I cannot view or have been removed ....Thanks in advance, I think I'll be sipping the Cool Aide soon :grin2:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shhhhh. Quiet. Get down. {whispering} they don't like it when you cross the beams around here...

Last edited:

Jeffg0330

Newly Enlightened
Shhhhh. Quiet. Get down. {whispering} they don't like it when you cross the beams around here...

Heh, I wouldn't want any beams being crossed. Separate pics would be appreciated if anyone has the time. "Getting both" is not currently an option, leaning towards SS40....

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I don't have a good range to show them, but I own both. If I were only able to replace one it would be the SS40.

The throw is to close to call for me. The high CRI in the woods and trees is amazing. The SS40 dose look a little warm during the day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, I wouldn't want any beams being crossed. Separate pics would be appreciated...

My earlier post was a (poor) attempt at humor. Just joking around. ...... {whispering, looking around nervously} mostly....

Just look at how everything changes color. This is one of the many reasons I don't do tint shots and for the most part, crossing the beams can make one emitter look great and another look like crap, then the one that you thought looked good can be compared with a third, that will make it look like crap... then take that third one and compare it to the first and the first will make the third look like crap. Maybe it will take 4 or 5 to achieve this, but you get my meaning.

When it comes to tint and CRI, all I can really do that is worth a darn is post what we get from the sphere data, anything else is simply witchcraft or opinion... or a combination. I've seen enough of that to justify certain emitters by others that I have come to greatly dislike the topic about as much as the 9mm vs. .40 S&W vs. .45 ACP debate.

The only real way you are going to know is to play with one in person (at least you don't have to shoot 3 people... or around 100 goats "Strasbourg tests"). Most everything else is going to be opinion, which isn't bad if you have done a bunch of reading and know who may have a similar opinion to yourself.

Dan's original post here (2nd, 4th, and 5th pics down) contains that which you seek... and more :)

In any case, welcome to the team!

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone might be able to compare beam shots of the NLT 325 LM neutral white at 5000k versus the SS40 high CRI 225 LM at 4000k please?

2429.jpg

Welcome to the tribe! LOL!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo - Can I get the machining specs for both sets of ACME threads where head and body mate? Sent a PM. Thanks.

PM me your email. I have the hookers and coke you asked for, but will need to send them in an email as I can't attach them to a PM.
Everyone else just ignore this message.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the first thing everyone noticed in that pic.
Wait, were there any other things in the picture?

I've been asking for SS tails every so often for several years now so I'm pretty stoked if it's gonna be a thing. Especially for clickies because you'd only need to buy the tailcap piece.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Especially for clickies because you'd only need to buy the tailcap piece.

I shall refer you back to here:

The problem with the Executive is quite simple... not enough of them get sold for HDS to really put much more into them...
Let me explain.
Rotary style lights outsell Executive style lights by about 10 to 1. So for every time we get battery compartments made, it is 10 times more often to get Rotary parts done, as there is still stock of Executive battery tubes. If we have tubes made twice a year for the Rotary, it means Executive tubes get made once every 5 years. It doesn't make a lot of sense to throw out a bunch of stock that is perfectly good for a product line that is moving much slower than the flagship (Rotary).
The Executive won't die... but it could fade away. Its very existence has been a topic with Henry and myself on numerous occasions and when, finally, a new light comes out... what is the fate of the executive with such a small market for it? You guys know I like options... but we will see.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was afraid you'd say that.

Next question: have you tested how bulletproof the SS tail is versus Al? That's important information we all need to know.

Jeffg0330

Newly Enlightened
Dan's original post here (2nd, 4th, and 5th pics down) contains that which you seek... and more :)

In any case, welcome to the team!

TY for the link to pics. The decision was a no brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.