HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some may think I am crazy, and they would be right. I have read before in places where folks talk about their (edited) lights and HDS comes up and they say no one ever needs a light like this because no one abuses their lights and just carries them around in a snot rag and blah blah blah blah hurray (edited). Generally then followed by how their (edited) light is made in the U.S. and other such nonsense that isn't true if they actually had a modicum of research skills to figure it out.

So here is a true story:

Back on January 17th 1995 I was living in Higashinadaku (say that 10 times fast) Japan. Suburb of Ashiya... very close to Kobe. I was playing a card game with a Japanese friend of mine in my walk-in closet apartment. It was small enough that I could sweep the floor, cook diner, and open the far window without ever leaving the bathroom. We played until about 3 in the morning then when he was leaving, he noticed a half full bottle of ginger ale (really... it was ginger ale... at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it) and he told me I should put the cap on the bottle. I said "Why? What is going to happen?" I actually said that. I remember it well because of what did happen a few hours later... and yes, this dumbass ended up cleaning ginger ale off of everything I owned. At least I was alive to do it unlike many in my neighbored. Just look up Great Hanshin Earthquake 阪神 淡路大震災. So, that phrase "Why? What's going to happen?" hasn't left these lips since.

What is going to happen? I'm quite sure I don't know... but damn it, my flashlight better friggin' work.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
This is a great upgrade! I opted to get an SS40 with the untreated stainless switch cap (silver) because I guess I've become an HDS collector of sorts and am a sucker for the limited stuff. I also look forward to a an AA tube with the improved switch cap. With that switch cap, that thing should survive anything.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
When will the new tailcaps be available for the 2xAA and 18650 tubes?

They are right now. Rotary style 18650 and 2AA tubes have switched to the black stainless switch cap. Look at the description on the accessories page and states that. They will be shipping in 4-6 weeks.

neco

Enlightened
Any photos of the black stainless tail cap option? Wondering if the difference between the body and tail cap will be noticeable or not. Trying to decide between black or silver tailcap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any photos of the black stainless tail cap option? Wondering if the difference between the body and tail cap will be noticeable or not.

Likely the same as color variation btwn bezel and body. Noticeably different blacks up close, but blends together nicely at a distance. The TiNi on SS is more of a purpley black up close.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever finish they are using, on the newer bezels, matches perfectly with the rest of the head and body. (At least in my experience) The older bezels definitely had a purple/black finish.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever finish they are using, on the newer bezels, matches perfectly with the rest of the head and body. (At least in my experience) The older bezels definitely had a purple/black finish.

moved to special passivation process with a military black nitride awhile ago.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap my aluminum tail rotaries are useless now. :D

After I finished throwing away my useless Al tail caps I read this:

moved to special passivation process with a military black nitride awhile ago.

So now my old purpley bezels are useless too???? #$%&!?

All I have left is a battery tube with a jangly reflector....

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I finished throwing away my useless Al tail caps I read this:

So now my old purpley bezels are useless too???? #$%&!?

All I have left is a battery tube with a jangly reflector....

send them my way, I will dispose of them properly.

Hogo, can I get a few spare bezels and some of the new tailcaps?
😁

djj

Newly Enlightened
Is the new SS tailcap stronger than the Ti tailcap? I'm remembering that for a Ti part to be stronger it has to be bigger because of lower density than SS.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the new SS tailcap stronger than the Ti tailcap? I'm remembering that for a Ti part to be stronger it has to be bigger because of lower density than SS.

Comparing 6al4v titanium to 303 stainless... or comparing any metals to each other (just go on a knife forum and see the knife steel debates rage) is a little trickier than simply is one stronger than the other. The quick down and dirty answer is yes, the 303 is stronger given the exact same dimensions part (for this application). The Young's modulus is 28 303 vs. 15 6al4v.

A couple other factors came into play here as well, as I briefly thought about a titanium switch cap....
1. The cost increase would have been close to $100 rather than $10. A $10 increase, percentage wise, is pretty small. $100 increase... not so swallowable.
2. When passivated properly, the military black nitride finish (the same currently on the black bezels) is a great finish and matches the black hard anodizing very well. Not having done it on titanium parts, I wasn't willing to risk it, and #1 above pretty much killed the idea for me anyway.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too cool. Couldn't resist. Just ordered executive rotary, silver bezel and tail, SS40, Sapphire lens, and raised switch. In the space of a month or so I've gone from 1 HDS to 4.

:ohgeez:

Really excited about this one.

autumncrown

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am wondering about the throw of the ss40 vs the NLT. I could not find any beamshots comparing these two. Did I miss them?

Edit: NVM, found a couple impressions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.