HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
I think there were some aftermarket smoothie bezels made in the past weren't there? I can't recall if they were Legacy or Acme though. I should do some research. If they're acme you could just hunt for one of those.

In any case, that's a pretty small aesthetic niggle to deal with for an otherwise outstanding light.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In any case, that's a pretty small aesthetic niggle to deal with for an otherwise outstanding light.

For a $300+ flashlight, I don't think it is nitpicky. There's no need to compromise. There's an interest thread,, apparently there is someone willing to make them if enough express interest. But maybe I've beat it into the ground and should. shut. up.

Let me just say this... if crenellations, or scallops, were a premium feature that cost $50 on top of the price... no one would pay to opt to have them, or very few. If the opposite were true, smooth bezel an extra $50... HDS would clean up with those orders.

What it comes down to is personal bias. Love the light, you'll be willing to accept almost anything, such as a rainbow stamped into the bezel. I admit I am biased towards smooth bezels, but will not admit I am biased against crenellations. My dislike of crenellations is supported and perfectly rational, if a bit purist: don't try to do everything or even two things; do one thing, do it well. It takes a little more strict objectivity to see crens are vanity. Who's vanity is another question, because it is not necessarily the consumer's vanity, especially because none of them have any choice.

Sandpaper.

I read about a guy, maybe here, that would smooth crenellated Elite bezels with a shop grinder. Anyway, you reminded me of some lyrics...

...Blues at sunrise what a way to start the day
Juannes so rough that they're like sandpaper
To smoove out the edges as I
Flow like water from sink, drain, river to sea
I got the recipe, ain't gonna tell ya no more
I got the specialty, ain't gonna tellin' no one
I got the recipe, ain't gonna tell ya no more
I've gots to keep movin'
I've gots to keep movin'

-Recipe, G. Love & Special Sauce, 1993

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
It's not a compromise to me, I like it. Look, every product has a style and features designed by someone, and they do what they think is best. You either buy it and deal with it, you modify it, or you buy something else. HDS does a lot to accomodate the input of customers but it's not design by committee here. So, buy it and deal with it, or mod it, or buy something else.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have both versions (stock & modded) and even leaving functional considerations aside, think that it adds some visual interest to what is otherwise a pretty spare design aesthetic.

2IZytMX.jpg

(And sorry for the poor quality old photo, lol)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should help.
Still not used to those video sunglasses.

img-0674.jpg

HDS actually did produce a small number of non-crenelated bezels about a decade ago (pre-Acme thread). They were not popular at all. According to Henry, it took about a year to sell them all and there were only about 10 produced.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Crenellations are vain, useless, ugly, and eat pockets. It seems to be the one superfluous and thoughtless detail all HDS lights have, no exceptions.

I also have a suspicion that I might think the lowest light level is not low enough.

Who doesn't want 18350 runtime?
Worrying about the appearance of the crenelations and ugliness comes far closer to vanity than the functionality of them, and if you think they eat pockets, you've never picked one up. Better to judge with your imagination than personal examination? You've never met Henry, never talked to him about how he made every single decision about his lights based on function ONLY, and yet you stand in judgement, claiming thoughtlessness. Hysterical.

Your suspicion about the lowest level not being low enough is wrong; it absolutely is low enough to the point that I no longer use the lowest setting, which I had often used on the previous models.

I think all of us, including Henry, want the 18350 runtime, but it got shelved for the time being. I hope it eventually happens, but for now I'm glad to have the Rotary as it is.

...if crenellations, or scallops, were a premium feature that cost $50 on top of the price... no one would pay to opt to have them, or very few. If the opposite were true, smooth bezel an extra $50... HDS would clean up with those orders.
I would possibly pay for the crenelations, if that's what it took, and one of my main complaints the past few years is the hangup over the prettiness of lights as an obsession. The crenelations allow some obvious light bleed to show if the light is set face down and can actually be used as a night light finder. Yes, I've done this. I agree with you that for those who are obsessed with looks over function, that it would be nice if a ground down bezel could be offered at extra charge, but with that in mind, if I really wanted it, I'd just grind it down myself.

nbp

Flashaholic
Ummm. These scallops were not created as a weapon so this straw man argument lacks basis in fact.

To say they are useless and serve no function is to speak for all product users, which no person can do, so just don't.

And it is also equally narcissistic to think that companies should change their products to suit one person's desires.

Similarly, I would tread lightly when telling other members they need professional help. That isn't very friendly.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The maker and staff of HDS have very clearly stated above the purpose of the scalloped bezel, which is to prevent inadvertent bezel-down operation unawares.

No further discussion of inappropriate use or "weapons"

Both HDS staff, and another CPF mod, have already addressed your issue with this here @chillinn

Thank you for moving along from this particular point of contention.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
More intolerance of dissent. Everyone always agreeing is a real problem. Nothing gets better if everyone always agrees.

And you specifically told me you did not moderate this thread.

You are incorrect, and further discussion of this in the open forum is unproductive.

The moderators and administrators of CPF are around in order to keep order. Do not whine or complain about the rules and do not abuse the moderators or administrators for enforcing the rules. It is very disruptive to the board when gripes take over a thread. Take them off the board in either private messages or email. The alternative is to go and start your own forum and set your own rules.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what you are referring to with my being incorrect, but what is unproductive, in fact, is intolerance of anything but linear agreement. Dissent is what is productive, i.e. rational argument devoid of ad hominem fallacy.

I am sorry some flashlight users have a problem with placing their flashlight face down while it is on and forgetting about it. HOORAY for HDS solving that handicap with scallops.

FWIW IMO HDS nailed every other feature, and I'm not sure any other maker has to the extent HDS has. I have one criticism, ONE. And I believe it will be solved by an aftermarket bezel. And if this admission is not good enough for the contributors of the thread, there is no pleasing some people.

Maybe Hogo can enlighten us as to the likely outcome while caving, if "some flashlight users have a problem with placing their flashlight face down while it is on and forgetting about it" ?

Meanwhile @chillinn perhaps you could consider stopping while you are ahead ?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are incorrect!

The crenelations on the HDS are for letting out light when the flashlight is set bezel down.
That is what they were designed to do on the HDS. Period.

I suggest you figure out who is here, in this section of CPF, and do it quickly. You obviously don't own an HDS, and that is fine. I've always said the biggest critics of the light are those who don't own one. Tread lightly with the other members here who have far more experience and knowledge than yourself.

Your first post in this section was arrogant and ignorant. Not a good combination. You obviously don't know how to research, or you would have done some already. I HIGHLY suggest you do some research and some reading BEFORE you post again and figure out just WHO in this thread you are addressing. The members you are insulting have been here long before you and are respected.

You have been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.