HDS Systems Headlamps #1

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep - I'd consider an angled 18650 rotary. Seems like a no brainier.
You know they'd sell like hot cakes .. Assuming he could keep the supply/production happening.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, it all started here:

HelmetAIO.jpg

darwin

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have any knowledge to share or just hopes & dreams?
StuGatz found this video so I'm adding it here:

Meeting Henry was near the top on my "list of things to do" while at SHOT Show with @StuGatz and Gear Challenge and I humbly thank everyone involved in making this happen! Since being introduced to his Ra Clicky lights, I was hooked. HDS might not make the most "feature packed" or "state of the art" light, but they make a rock solid, dependable flashlight. About the only way I've found to kill one is to lose it (or to put a lot of effort into the process).

Seeing that Henry is actively designing a headlamp was really cool. Being able to speak directly with him about it was.... something else. Later on in the week, I was able to stop by the HDS booth again for a non-recorded chat about the new headlamp. Henry started by asking what features I thought the headlamp should have. It was an honest, candid, and inquisitive question that was completely unexpected.

First, I let him talk about what his current plans were for the lamp while listening and starting to come up with ideas. He was very good about explaining why certain ideas wouldn't work in a polite way. He was also quite receptive to some other ideas~ you could tell when the gears started turning to try to figure out a way to implement or improve upon a desired feature. Several of the things we talked about ended up on his list (yes, he's keeping one). From the conversation, it seems as though this is being designed primarily as a spelunking light.

Without going into "specific details on an unreleased product still in development," This seems to be a quite innovative light. Here are a few things remembered from what Henry's goals were: [Mods feel free to remove any of this if you need to]

• "At Least" 1 week run time at a usable output (I think he kept using "15 lumen" as a figure, take that as you will)
  • Sealed unit with rechargeable battery
  • Probable ~18650 cell, soldered for durability and shock resistance.
  • Reversible magnetic charging cable that plugs into USB. Can be operated while charging (or run from a USB battery/power source.). Probably right angle plug for routing.
  • Different Accessory backs/mounts ~ This seems to be a feature but obviously at this point in development, no specifics yet.
    • Current thoughts seem to be at least a three-point strap mount and a baseball cap style mount. Potentially some that are compatible with existing mounting systems (MOLLE, etc.)
  • Programable and variable output per emitter.
  • Rotary interface
  • Multi-color Battery level indicator LED (that might be used as locator beacon or red light source ~ feature requested)
  • The lamp will be able to pull from many of the same parts bins as the existing HDS lights, wherever possible.
  • Initially offered in a High CRI option AND a "cooler white" option ~ More options possible in the future, but would require an exceptional use case (don't count on it happening).
  • More cool features as he develops them!

Overall, the headlamp that HDS/Henry is developing sounds as though it will be a VERY impressive headlamp. Very much looking forward to testing one of them out once they're released! With luck, some time this summer.

Because this thread would be worthless without pics... here was one I was able to snap:

cFkiVT6.jpg

Again, I'd like to thank Henry for the time and insight he was able to provide to us this year!

PS: The old Dual output red/white option that they offered a long time ago isn't coming back. It was a fluke ~ apparently caused by one batch or model of LEDs being able to produce red light when polarity was reversed. Henry exploited that "undocumented feature."

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
.......HDS might not make the most "feature packed" or "state of the art" light, but they make a rock solid, dependable flashlight. About the only way I've found to kill one is to lose it (or to put a lot of effort into the process).

Actually isn't that the main selling point of the HDS line of lights? Programable and multiple options for specific use (feature packed) and advanced electronics and regulation (state of the art)?

Trip Miller

Enlightened
Let me start by saying kudos to you for going the extra 100 miles for the above info.
Did you happen to ask if the prototype picture is really anything close to what he expects the final design to be?

darwin

Newly Enlightened
Actually isn't that the main selling point of the HDS line of lights? Programable and multiple options for specific use (feature packed) and advanced electronics and regulation (state of the art)?
Well, I like HDS lights for that and was referring more to HDS lights doing that in a more simple package.

However, we were seeing lights that had lots of other bells and whistles and more recent technologies, some good features but quite a few just to have an additional line item on the page.

Would "low/no frills" be a better way of putting it? They're tools that do their intended jobs well.

Let me start by saying kudos to you for going the extra 100 miles for the above info.
Did you happen to ask if the prototype picture is really anything close to what he expects the final design to be?

It's going to pull from the existing parts bin wherever possible, so it seems as though the emitter setup and rotary switch will be similar to they are now. He said that the main casing might/will probably change, but who knows how much. It seems as though if he can condense the package, he will.

Going to check to see if I got any more pictures of it, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Re: HDS Systems - SHOT Show 2016 - New Headlamp

Probably a dumb idea, but I'd buy a 90 degree rotary. It'd be easy to mount it on a headband and I bet one could easily slap a clip on the elbow section of the light for EDC. I've always liked the angle lights and an HDS angle light to me would be bad ***.
image_zps6hhdfw64.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been more optimistic than many others in this thread seem to be, and I was getting really excited until this point. That would make it a deal breaker for me.
  • Initially offered in a High CRI option "cooler white" option ~ More options possible in the future, but would require an exceptional use case (don't count on it happening).
cFkiVT6.jpg

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this announcement a few weeks ago has seemed to ask more questions than it answered.

I remain hopeful yet concerned that I'm not part of the target demographic.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this announcement a few weeks ago has seemed to ask more questions than it answered.

I remain hopeful yet concerned that I'm not part of the target demographic.
As cool as the programmability is, I'm feeling the same.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the back of it should be curved?

If the production model is anything like the mock-up, then I can't imagine anybody using it with a headband. It seems its sole purpose is as a mounted light, such as with a helmet.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates?
When Henry said June or July it really means it could be as much as two years away. Now that may sound flipant, but if you are familiar with HDS then you know I'm actually being generous. Also people should realize that from the current statements it looks like that headlamp is designed for Henries hobby of spelunking/caving where the form factor he showed may work on a hardhat. No one should wait on this being delivered, get what you can use now and then wait to see what happens. At this stage anything could change, so just carry-on until there is something for sale.

Philip1990

Newly Enlightened
They only need to make the head at 90 degree and provide a basic elastic strap. This format work pretty well.I use a chap nitecore in this fashion, but i would definitively upgrade if they can pull this off.
tongue.gif