HDS Systems Headlamps #1

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been almost a year & I have been sidetracked from the flashlight scene mostly.

Anybody have new details worth sharing?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It's been almost a year & I have been sidetracked from the flashlight scene mostly.

Anybody have new details worth sharing?
Henry has plans to unveil the new streamlined design headlight at the SHOT Show. The head will be smaller by design, and smaller yet due to the 18650 being moved to the back, which will also serve to make the whole unit balance better on the head.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Yeah, me too. I think most of us were not too excited about the design we saw last year.
I wasn't. At all.
On a side note, I hope the batteries won't be soldered inside the battery pack, kind of a deal killer for me. Henry should be able to design a shockproof 2x18650 battery compartment with integrated charger/balancer :)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I speculated all along that his headlamp prototype last year was more about function than form. I'm curious to see how much advancement has been made on it since then.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I speculated all along that his headlamp prototype last year was more about function than form. I'm curious to see how much advancement has been made on it since then.

I think it was more of a poker move. He wanted us potential buyers to show our cards first. [emoji6]

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Hey Pete. How'd you get the inside scoop?
Had lunch with Henry and among lots of other things, we talked a lot about the headlamp. He had the networking prototype and his original Rotary with him.

Great guy to talk to, incredibly intelligent and I still love that he's the one that gave us the Clicky and the Rotary UI.

I hope the batteries won't be soldered inside the battery pack, kind of a deal killer for me. Henry should be able to design a shockproof 2x18650 battery compartment with integrated charger/balancer :)
The battery will be removable, but will be a single 18650 in the back of the headband.
Yeah, exactly. Then when he started getting all the feedback, he did what he always does and went back to the drawing board to see how he could answer as many concerns as possible, and still makes the light he wanted to do in the first place.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had lunch with Henry and among lots of other things, we talked a lot about the headlamp. He had the networking prototype and his original Rotary with him.

Great guy to talk to, incredibly intelligent and I still love that he's the one that gave us the Clicky and the Rotary UI.

The battery will be removable, but will be a single 18650 in the back of the headband.
Yeah, exactly. Then when he started getting all the feedback, he did what he always does and went back to the drawing board to see how he could answer as many concerns as possible, and still makes the light he wanted to do in the first place.

Very exciting & thanks for sharing!

I'm guessing it will be another year before any production really ramps up but then it will be the one headlamp to rule them all! (I hope)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Very exciting & thanks for sharing!

I'm guessing it will be another year before any production really ramps up but then it will be the one headlamp to rule them all! (I hope)
I'm sure it won't be any time soon, but at least things are going in the right direction and I can't wait to see what the new HDS headlight reloaded version looks like.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry spent a few years designing and testing the Rotary before it was released, so I suspect we're probably a year or two away from being able to buy the HDS headlamp.

Sabbs1

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely, first light I ever purchased was a rotary. Love it! Exciting news! By the way first post!

Sabbs1

Newly Enlightened
Rotary would be great like the old model surefire minimums, 0-100 lumens and everywhere in Between!