HDS SYSTEMS:mounting holes yes/no?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hey HOGO see that picture of the twisty?? See people still want them 😉😉 just saying. 😄

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I thought about fyrstormers clip idea... I like it. Will this configuration work with different clips as in from oveready etc??? Or just this one? Maybe holes for clip in this location and filler screws or stop crews for those who don't want to use the clip? Bezel down for me is best if I m using a clip... bezel down or up for holster. 🤔

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember the AR Anti roll screws? Think I ve almost cracked it.
View attachment 9381
The threads need to either be resized and re threaded to 0-80f or the hole needs to be made a hair bigger for this to work.
Head height .0880 which is good, .135 head diameter which will work, 2mm hex.
No snag!
So I know there is a solution just need to work out the kinks. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1548076940.409404.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
Ok I thought about fyrstormers clip idea... I like it. Will this configuration work with different clips as in from oveready etc??? Or just this one? Maybe holes for clip in this location and filler screws or stop crews for those who don't want to use the clip? Bezel down for me is best if I m using a clip... bezel down or up for holster. 樂
It should work with any clip that has a design similar to the McGizmo clip. Several brands use similar clips nowadays. You might need to shave a little material off the top edge of the clip so the rotary dial won't scrape against it, but that only takes a minute with a Dremel sanding drum and another minute with a piece of emery paper to make the edge straight and flat.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I never understood why HDS doesn't drill and tap for a clips on the new lineup. It worked just fine on older HDS lights.

klackey

Enlightened
I am still for the option of holes or no holes.....in the new iteration. Options are good, a quick set of tapped holes that I personally would pay a slight premium for that set of properly aligned and tapped holes.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
This light is the one I would have loved to have bought from Turbodog. I was able to buy a 123 version of this light from him and it is by far my favorite HDS of all time BECAUSE OF THE CLIP. This bezel down configuration with the tapped holes (that take regular 4-40 screws) and this long stable clip just carries well. Yes, it the clip forces the light to carry a bit further from the body than if it were more of a traditional clip mounted on the tail, but for the HDS rotary, this is the best solution that I have found.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly Henry is not a clip Person and the Holes would be also a weak point in the light Design.

For me it is fine as it is. If I neeed a clip I take a Clicky, if not I take a Rotary.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If I remember correctly Henry is not a clip Person and the Holes would be also a weak point in the light Design.

As far as weak point, nope. There is material specifically in the design for the clip holes. It's probably the strongest point in the light. When the holes disappeared, the material stayed in place... was not removed.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as weak point, nope. There is material specifically in the design for the clip holes. It's probably the strongest point in the light. When the holes disappeared, the material stayed in place... was not removed.
~5 mm?

I remember there were X-ray photos around here somewhere, but they have pic on their website too.

1652692173012.png

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yes. There's a solid piece of metal that the emitter sits on, a shelf.

IIRC, .41" back from the from of the TUBE. Simply look at the emitter and drill into the areas where it's clear of wires/etc. You can easily see where NOT to drill.

Note: this isn't a hack/mod. This is _THE_ way the lights were originally mfg'd. You're restoring a factory deletion.

1652710361272.png

Last edited:

Duster1671

Enlightened
Okay, I dropped the section view of the Rotary into CAD and scaled based on overall length of 3.7". The 1" OD matches up and I added a couple of relevant dimensions.

If I were to try putting #4-40 holes into that shelf that separates the LED board and the driver, I would want to make sure they were located very precisely. The shelf is more like .160" (4mm). This leaves only .024" on either side of the threads.

HDS Rotary Section.png