He is the Master

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. It's funny. After rereading my post I am suddenly aware what a nerd I am. :rolleyes:

Matt, you and Michael aren't actually nerds. The problem is that nonflashlight people just don't realize how cool flashlights are.... yet! After I rescue a litter of puppies from the Ohio River using only my Deft-X-MJ-w21 prototype and some old dental floss I think public perception should begin to swing our way.

Ya, lets go with your idea. They just don't get it is all :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your not the only one who is disappointed. The thing I can get over is how bad the beam from the XPG3 and XPL2 are when used in a reflector. The shape is ok, but man is the color blending nasty!
See. I didn't even make it that far with those LEDs.:sick2: I feel like Cree has run up against a barrier somewhat and it seems a few companies have caught, and then surpassed Cree and now they are resorting to bottom of the barrel methods in an attempt to stay ahead in the numbers game. As much as I loved Cree all these years(the only stock I have ever bought) I have zero loyalty when it comes to the parts I put in my lights. I want only the best. No excuses. BTW congrats on taking things up a notch and getting your own subforum. Hope you knock it out of the park.

Matt, you and Michael aren't actually nerds. The problem is that nonflashlight people just don't realize how cool flashlights are.... yet! After I rescue a litter of puppies from the Ohio River using only my Deft-X-MJ-w21 prototype and some old dental floss I think public perception should begin to swing our way.
Aww. You're so sweet. :p

ive read through the thread a couple times now. so am i correct in thinking the goal is to dissect different LEDs and mash up the best parts and make a Frankenstein LED?
The goal is to continue to have the longest throwing lights in the world. Frankyled is just what I may have to resort to in order to make it happen. ;)

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
The goal is to continue to have the longest throwing lights in the world. Frankyled is just what I may have to resort to in order to make it happen. ;)

well make sure you yell out "its alive!!! ITS ALIVE!!!" when you achieve your goal. also, are you planning on extending your research across multiple LED's? for example, the XHP-70. no it will not become any throw king. however, its output is up there with a 40w HID light. with your improvements would it be possible to get the throw at least in a similar ballpark to allow HID to LED mods?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
well make sure you yell out "its alive!!! ITS ALIVE!!!" when you achieve your goal. also, are you planning on extending your research across multiple LED's? for example, the XHP-70. no it will not become any throw king. however, its output is up there with a 40w HID light. with your improvements would it be possible to get the throw at least in a similar ballpark to allow HID to LED mods?
The research is currently across many many LEDs. Primarily those in the XPG class as far as die size goes. It is in my opinion the sweet spot as far as balancing light production and beam intensity while staying within the thermal limits of the vast majority of handheld lights. I bought some XHP-70 just for curiosity's sake. Unlikely to ever use them in anything. There are far better candidates if I'm looking on both sides of the spectrum- max throw and max lumens. I also cannot see modding an HID setup to LED as being an easy endeavor. To do so would require too many engineering sacrifices. You would cripple your potential from the get go. I am considering moving into larger lights in the future. I made it my stated aim several years ago to build a light that would best the Maxablaster which is at 53,000,000cd. When I can get the underlying technology at a point where scaling up to the Maxablaster's size will result in a win you will probably see me make my move. We are actually not that far off from it now.

Thanks man.

I think I will wish you a complaint from NASA about interfering with their satellites.
Challenge accepted :)

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Maxablaster back in the 90's but I don't remember anything about 53m cds. The jam box i had didnt hold but one cd.

No l dont have anything constructive to add to the conversation. T/S

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^I admit that joke was pretty lame but surely it didn't kill the thread!?!?

I promise to hide in the shadows until I'm called upon. :-(

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^I admit that joke was pretty lame but surely it didn't kill the thread!?!?

I promise to hide in the shadows until I'm called upon. :-(

My friend I think you just need to work on cultivating denial. I'll leave you with some sage words from the great Mike Birbiglia.

"I think that if it weren't for denial I wouldn't be a comedian because to be a comedian you have to go on stage those first few years and bomb. And then walk off stage and think...that went great. Because otherwise you'd never get on stage the next night. You would just think...human beings don't like me." -Mike Birbiglia

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend I think you just need to work on cultivating denial. I'll leave you with some sage words from the great Mike Birbiglia.

"I think that if it weren't for denial I wouldn't be a comedian because to be a comedian you have to go on stage those first few years and bomb. And then walk off stage and think...that went great. Because otherwise you'd never get on stage the next night. You would just think...human beings don't like me." -Mike Birbiglia
+1 you nailed it there. Wimmer is hilarious. Get back on that stage and smile:)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 you nailed it there. Wimmer is hilarious. Get back on that stage and smile:)
Yeah you totally nailed that too Offgrid. He is hilarious. It's funny cause on that last one I was thinking of congratulating myself with a "nailed it" but then I remembered something else Mike Burbiglia said.

"People say "nailed it" way more than people are nailing it."

I really hammered that one home. :D

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah you totally nailed that too Offgrid. He is hilarious. It's funny cause on that last one I was thinking of congratulating myself with a "nailed it" but then I remembered something else Mike Burbiglia said.

"People say "nailed it" way more than people are nailing it."

I really hammered that one home. :D
Well played Michael. You hit it right on the head!!

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
double-facepalm-o.gif

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aww man. Did I just get nailed for posting a bad joke? Well maybe if I just nail down on this comedy stuff then one day I'll get it and be as sharp as a tack just like my buddy Wimmer. With everything I've got going on right now it'd be hard to nail down a time I could do it. Hmm. Oh well. I'll just stick with building lights. Don't need any more face palms.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha no the facepalm was for OG. All facepalms at CPF are for OG. You're sharp like Mack the Knife!

Btw I steal all my material from bulbmogul so I can't even take credit. ;-)

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Now at 33%. Expect to be able to get to 38% with more tweaking. And yes I'm being coy. And yes this is the result of only one aspect of my research. When you combine this with other avenues the result is amazing.

A light at least 33% better than Rev Victor this is gonna be awesome! Sounds like very early stages right now, I hope it's about 6 months away

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light at least 33% better than Rev Victor this is gonna be awesome! Sounds like very early stages right now, I hope it's about 6 months away
Working on two things. A new light engine for current DEFT-X/Victor owners and a new reflector based thrower. Note that there are no plans currently to sell new Victors or any lights containing the collar. Would have to get back under license to do so. The reflector light is going to be really really special. Going to be breaking new ground. And no six months is way too long. Can't say exactly as there is still ongoing development but I would keep an eye out here.