Headlight vs flashlight

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Great story again, Poppy! Thanks for sharing it.

I've never been a boy scout, guess I'm more of a loner as I enjoy the kind of activities they undertake bit I'd rather do them by myself

Re: starting a fire, it's one of the 10 essentials I always carry, so I have accelerant, tinder and security matches and a lighter in my backpack.

Guess Police would find it funny were they to frisk me someday... to say nothing of the shovel I carry right by the passenger seat of my pickup truck, as it has no trunk... :)
I 've wondered how those electronic lighters work, and after seeing a survival show on TV where a guy purposely broke a light bulb and used it in the flashlight to start a fire with LEDs that ain't gonna work.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I 've wondered how those electronic lighters work, and after seeing a survival show on TV where a guy purposely broke a light bulb and used it in the flashlight to start a fire with LEDs that ain't gonna work.
lol.. yeah, I think in a similar fashion I saw him start a fire with a 9V battery and the aluminum wrapper from a stick of chewing gum.
Certainly with sparks from a car battery and a length of wire, and using oil from the oil filter as a sustainer.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
lol.. yeah, I think in a similar fashion I saw him start a fire with a 9V battery and the aluminum wrapper from a stick of chewing gum.
Certainly with sparks from a car battery and a length of wire, and using oil from the oil filter as a sustainer.
Yes..... and rubbing sticks together. The advantage of this lighter I can see is it should work in the rain and wind and if you have a power bank it can be recharged. I guess with a headlamp or flashlight you can use the battery and wire either way.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's how we did it back in the day -

You don't need the alligator clips on the wires, but it makes it easier and he was using more steel wool than you need. In fact you don't really need the flashlight, just a piece of wire and some steel wool or little nest of copper wire strands and a battery or two.

Another method if you have the flashlight, is to use just the steel wool to short out the contacts until it heats up.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

You don't need the alligator clips on the wires, but it makes it easier and he was using more steel wool than you need. In fact you don't really need the flashlight, just a piece of wire and some steel wool or little nest of copper wire strands and a battery or two.

Another method if you have the flashlight, is to use just the steel wool to short out the contacts until it heats up.

Steel wool and a 9V battery seems the most compact and easiest method/hack I think to start a fire. taking the tail cap off a lithium ion light with removable battery and steel wool sounds goo too

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Steel wool and a 9V battery seems the most compact and easiest method/hack I think to start a fire. taking the tail cap off a lithium ion light with removable battery and steel wool sounds goo too
Power tool batteries can likely get steel wool going as well.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Power tool batteries can likely get steel wool going as well.
Yep, or just use the heat gun attachment on dry leaves. What I think would be interesting is having a high power corded light or headlamp that uses tool batteries it could be a lot brighter and last a long time at that.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Yep, or just use the heat gun attachment on dry leaves. What I think would be interesting is having a high power corded light or headlamp that uses tool batteries it could be a lot brighter and last a long time at that.
Ryobi makes one. Performance is similar to the HID spotlight they used to make.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ryobi makes one. Performance is similar to the HID spotlight they used to make.
Yeah there are area lights and such too in the Dewalt line which is what I'm working towards now. I should start a thread on tool lights as I don't think there is one specifically for them which includes work lights and lanterns. I have a unimpressive PC tool light of about 60-80 lumens which is very useful as it has a decent optical output and swivels about 100 degrees or so. I do have a brighter dewalt light, in fact 2 of them that are spotlights one about 150 lumens the other I'm not sure but it has a magnet and loop and swivels and so on. I wouldn't bother with a DW headlamp but I do have a USB/12V charger with a light built in (flood about 30 lumens or so I think) that could be used to power a headlamp.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
aaa twisty in the mouth splits the difference..
Splits the difference or the teeth?

We use a slightly modified Nite-Ize headstrap with a Zebralight, EagTac, or Anduril ramping compact flashlight, where the strap can be wrapped a few times around the wrist for most of the time on walks, but easily placed on the head when both hands are needed. Projects around the house, I often forget the light is on my head. Modification involves using stout thread in one spot to cause the flashlight to angle downward, and place the beam slightly further forward.
CFC3DAD0-00FD-4DED-BB7C-87C78299116E.jpeg

Last edited:

pipes

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight, the headlamp is rarely used, however i think its a necessity. There are just some times when you cant tailstand your light and also need both of your hands, with illumination.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool vid with 5 more ways to start a fire with a moonbeam:

Sabrewulf

Newly Enlightened
I always called it headlamp for some reason, I think of headlights for a vehicle.

Flashlights I use much more.
I only use headlamps for camping.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I always called it headlamp for some reason, I think of headlights for a vehicle.

Flashlights I use much more.
I only use headlamps for camping.
I think a third option is needed.... tool/work lights but that would be an overlap from flashlights to lanterns I'm thinking. I've found that I'm using them often now as some of the work I do has a headlamp unable to reach due to obstructions that reflect it back at me like checking plants and working in confined spaces a magnetic positionable work light is more ideal. You can use these lights for camping also and some even have a power bank function if that is needed.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a headlamp while I'm working and a flashlight for searching. I tend to use a headlamp a lot at work or doing work around the house. Both hands free is great. Zebralight h600fc is a fantastic HL and also works great as a flashlight