health precautions to help a horder clean there home?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its very very bad for real worst then ive seen on the tv show with the same name. should i just deny help? im very sensetive to dust. but it smells like urine in the house to

idleprocess

Flashaholic
N95 mask (valved) or P100 respirator should block the dust and inhibit odors. Nitrile gloves should protect your hands without significantly impacting dexterity. Lab goggles or safety glasses to protect the eyes. And of course clothing that's 180° out of phase with your Sunday best.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Ventilate the house. Open windows and use fans to pull air out through them. Do not blow air INTO house. You want to pull air OUT, through the house.

Change of clothes before you get into your car to drive home.

Or just say 'I prefer not to'.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol this is going to suck . i had to go in the house to get her meds she is banned from house from fire dept if im right. but there is no place at all to walk not one peice in entire house where i can see the floor its around 2 feet deep. i never ever seen anything like this before...i found out a few days ago she fell in house and it was 3 days before she was found.

turbodog

Flashaholic
From my limited experience with a hoarder and an estate sale... you need a roll-off dumpster, at THEIR expense. Will be cheaper than a million runs to the dump and you can put furniture/etc in there.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
What's happening here? Can't make sense of what's going on??
a elderly lady on my street is a hoarder well she feel down in her house becuase the hoard. was not found for 3 days she is ok now. but she wants my help to clean the hoard the city im guessing wont let her return home til its cleaned up

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Honestly, this is a multi-person job. My late father had hoarding tendencies, although he thankfully didn't get to "full-blown hoarder". But still, parts of the basement looked like a garbage truck dumped its load. It took me weeks to throw out the bad stuff and keep the good stuff. If the whole house is 2 feet plus deep in junk, you're going to need help.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
a elderly lady on my street is a hoarder well she feel down in her house becuase the hoard. was not found for 3 days she is ok now. but she wants my help to clean the hoard the city im guessing wont let her return home til its cleaned up
Oh ok got it now. Must of missed that part in your first post. Ya that sucks.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the worse part is she is bossy. i dont do good with boses i dont do well at all. i dont need a boos ima hard worker and always know what to do on my own

chip100t

Enlightened
From what I know about hoarders if you give them a choice of what gets thrown out and what doesn't they will fight to keep what is clearly trash. Getting it done while she is away will make it a lot easier.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I guess I'll just agree with what has already been said.

I've only watched a few of those TV episodes. Apparently some stuff can be sold, but most has to be trashed. The hoarder has a reason to keep everything, so you will need some phycological help for the hoarder. Often the house has structural defects, and rot, mold, insect and rodent infestation. As @jtr1962 mentioned, you will need help. It is not a one man job.

As @turbodog suggested, call her family, if possible, if not then perhaps a church group, or social services in her town.

People are crazy, and if you work alone, you may be accused of wrongdoing.

Good luck! Stay safe!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i watched hoarders and always thought to self screw that stay away from that mess and sure enough now im involved . its so bad nothing like hoarders far worse. i ahve no idea at all how she lived in there but now i think about it many nights ive seen her in her car for hours after she got home im thinking perhaps she lived in her car in her driveway

Poppy

Flashaholic
i watched hoarders and always thought to self screw that stay away from that mess and sure enough now im involved . its so bad nothing like hoarders far worse. i ahve no idea at all how she lived in there but now i think about it many nights ive seen her in her car for hours after she got home im thinking perhaps she lived in her car in her driveway
OK, so now you are involved.

What's your plan? Just curious to know, if you have a plan.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive already told her she will need a dumpster truck thingy the things on steel wheel cariied on back of a truck. im going to just be honest and tell her my shoulder will limet me in the work i can provide . ill help with logitecs only unless my shoulder feels better in next few days

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
N95 mask (valved) or P100 respirator should block the dust and inhibit odors. Nitrile gloves should protect your hands without significantly impacting dexterity. Lab goggles or safety glasses to protect the eyes. And of course clothing that's 180° out of phase with your Sunday best.
Raggie:

If you end up going in there to do any work, that's all good advice. I'd go with a half-face respirator (like 3M 6000 series) w/P100 cartridges due to the amount of particulates (dust, mold spores, etc.) you'll likely encounter. I think I picked mine up at HD or similar store, so they're not hard to find. Mold spores can be harmful, and one can catch hantavirus from rodent waste.

I'll add a bit of a personal experience tip: Because some of the odors might get rather unpleasant, go with P100 filter cartridges which are additionally rated for nuisance 'organic vapors', and perhaps 'acid gas' as well. I use these whenever cleaning out kitty litter boxes, and they not only take care of the dust, but I can't smell a thing. I also use them when using certain nasty household cleaning products, and likewise, I can't even smell them. They're amazing.

The carts I'm currently using (3M60923) are the ones below with both ratings, but I believe my last ones only had the 'organic vapor' rating (3M60921), and as I recall they seemed to be equally effective in the above situations; so if you only find the ones with that rating (like 3M60921), they'll probably work just as well for what you're likely to encounter. You probably won't even be able to smell anything foul while you're in there.

3M 60923

Cleaning out even the smallest of houses, stacked to two feet high .... well, you're going to need five guys to make any real progress. I'm assuming the items are not boxed and therefore ready to go.

If the woman is present ..... just walk away.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never saw anything like it in my life. i was guesing it will take 10 or more of them truck dumpsters id say 20 is my guess.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw she isnt the sharpest tool in the shed i was her computer repair man for years. omg what a headache that has been