Heat Management thoughts

jso902

Enlightened
Built my first 'p60' drop-in with a larger reflector (D36). please bear with my newbie questions.

it's a mtg2 at 3amps qlite driver potted on led side.
10 mins on 50% gets the body warm.
is there a good way of transferring heat in a z46 head? (not z44)
several loops on a spring seems like a poor heat conductor.
if i solder off a 7135 chip, will that increase heat to the driver?

Last edited:

jso902

Enlightened
And for those interested, this is what a mtg2 looks like in a z46 reflector in ML mode
uploadfromtaptalk1435920509620.jpg

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting pic. I hadn't realized the MTG2 had such an interesting die shape.

You are absolutely correct that the spring is not a good way to conduct heat. The thermal conductivity of steel is way less than aluminum or copper, and the long, thin path through the metal is an abomination for heat management. My guess, without looking at the light, is that the spring pushes the pill against the body, and that pill-to-body contact is what conducts almost all of the heat.

Removing (or adding) 7135s will reduce the output, reduce the heat, and increase the runtime proportionally to how many you had vs. how many you have now. For example, if you had 4, and remove one, the output and heat generation will be 3/4 what you had before, and runtime will be 4/3 what you had before. If you had 6 and add 1, you will have 7/6 the heat and light, and 6/7 the runtime.

Of course, because the current/light output of an LED is not quite linear, and neither is the current/capacity of a battery, these are only approximations.

jso902

Enlightened
Make sure the reflector is snug fit when inserted into the host....

can't do much about that. the d46 just floats with the shock foam. I'll research if I can find an aluminum or copper ring to replace the shock foam.
I've opted for a copper spring and will lean heavily on programming.
Programming seems to throttle the temperature pretty well.
Plus at 3 Amps, 2 18350 IMR's doesn't last long ( ~6-8 mins of woah.).
so desoldering 1-2 7135 may be my only option if I want longer run times.
Now the hard part is determining how much oomph I wanna lose :(

Latest posts