Heat Wave 2022

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
More than a few years ago, I needed to put a can of freon into my car's AC (actually I think it was 134A, not freon). The following year I had to do it twice during the season, and the year after that, it needed it quicker. It was time to bring it to my mechanic, and have it fixed. He found a leak, and replaced not only the the particular part that was leaking but a number of others too. It cost me extra, but he didn't have an angry customer come back a year later when another part failed.
R134A is dirt cheap these days and if you have the tools and find the leaks they are easy to fix. The hardest part for most folks is evacuating the system and charging it properly. I had to borrow a vacuum pump the first 3 times I did my AC on a vehicle but I finally got my own used for $40 it looks ugly but works just fine and is a larger pump. I also have a collection of Orings too and a spare valve or two and spare caps also seems I end up losing a cap on occasion working on the system in the past. Now the new cars have a new type of "freon" that requires new connectors and who knows what else I don't think you can buy the gas for it yet.

Poppy

Flashaholic
And I seriously doubt I could put in a good 8 hour day of labor in summer anymore. Part of it's age, part of it's too much time in climate controlled environments. I run like the winded these days.
I definitely could NOT. For both of the reasons you mentioned above.

One summer I drove a beer truck. Six cases of bottled beer, or ten of cans would fit on the hand truck. Either way it is pretty heavy. One learns in short order that balance is more important than muscle. Yeah, I needed to develop some muscles, but after a couple of weeks I was running with that hand-truck.

I am still trying to teach my grandkids to use a hand truck instead of carrying heavy things, and when using one it is more about balance than strength. Eventually they'll learn.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer has a hand truck where when in dolley mode there are wheels on the back of the handles at the top. You can pluck the top area of the handle from the body, rotate the dolley so those wheels touch the ground, insert the handle portion 90 degrees through some holes and have a pull cart.
A9947CEB-E4D8-4475-A0DC-EC37A3372487.jpeg

Balance/shmalance, all you need is a fairly smooth hard surface.
I was like "dang girl you have better tools than most men"....

We've reached an empass in the weather where the temperature is a lot milder but humidity causes the house to feel stuffy without ac. Set at 80 it doesn't run so in the evenings I turn it down a bit to dehumidify things. By 10 o'clock the house is nice and comfy. But in the day it goes back up to 80.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer has a hand truck where when in dolley mode there are wheels on the back of the handles at the top. You can pluck the top area of the handle from the body, rotate the dolley so those wheels touch the ground, insert the handle portion 90 degrees through some holes and have a pull cart.
View attachment 31769
Balance/shmalance, all you need is a fairly smooth hard surface.
I was like "dang girl you have better tools than most men"....

We've reached an empass in the weather where the temperature is a lot milder but humidity causes the house to feel stuffy without ac. Set at 80 it doesn't run so in the evenings I turn it down a bit to dehumidify things. By 10 o'clock the house is nice and comfy. But in the day it goes back up to 80.
My mom had one of these dollies/carts in the 90s that she used all the time to haul boxes in craft shows. Hers was all steel (no aluminum) and saved a lot of time and effort not having to balance a tall load while navigating narrow aisles and going over extension cords.
I too posted earlier with the problem of a high dew point outside at a comfortable indoors temp and am now feeling ice cold on me as the AC is running and it is 70 outside and was up to 80. If it were not so humid outside I would simply open the door and turn the fan on the AC on but adding more humidity will only cost more to remove it again.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I got up this morning it was 59F and 97% humidity.

I opened three windows, and turned on the dehumidifier.
It runs on about 900 watts. @ $0.17 a kwh I let it run for a couple of hours, and the indoor humidity was a comfortable 45%. Cost less than 50 cents. AND I now have fresh distilled water for my plants :)

1662739278376.png

The current outside temp is 76F with a comfy 41% humidity. We have a predicted high of 80F, so with my central AC set at 73F it will cycle on and off now and then.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
When I got up this morning it was 59F and 97% humidity.

I opened three windows, and turned on the dehumidifier.
It runs on about 900 watts. @ $0.17 a kwh I let it run for a couple of hours, and the indoor humidity was a comfortable 45%. Cost less than 50 cents. AND I now have fresh distilled water for my plants :)

View attachment 31782

The current outside temp is 76F with a comfy 41% humidity. We have a predicted high of 80F, so with my central AC set at 73F it will cycle on and off now and then.
I am upset I didn't think about using condesated water from my AC here to water plants until about 2 weeks or so ago. I wanted to tell the folks in I think Mississsippi that are without water to capture their condensate water and use it but didn't know a way to get that message out. I get about 5-8 gallons a day from the AC and with the rain we had over a week ago I haven't turned the faucet on since then. I am running out of a metal trash can full to the brim with water now and at one time I had 3 - 5 gallon buckets full of condensate water but no rain for awhile and the temps barely under 90 has me still using a lot of water. estimating about 8 gallons a day which includes capturing water from my shower saved waiting for the water to become hot close to 10 gallons/day or about 1000 over the summer which is about $15 saved. That isn't a huge savings in money but if everyone were to save that much in a city with 200,000 homes it could be a tremendous amount of water about 200 million gallons. If you capture some rainwater it can add up even more.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My locality has rain water collection regs because of mosquitos. 👎
One year at my dads I dug a shallow trench from the drip line to a garden, filled it with sand and it kept it wet all summer, even in a drought. Ha, it also kept a 5 foot wide swath of grass green all summer.
Where I live now I buried a 1" pvc pipe between the drip line and the garden to thwart that 5 foot swath of green grass when the rest is brown. But I keep a shallow bowl at the end of the drip line so birds can have a bath or drink from it. Blue birds are endangered in my area and providing them a source of water helps them out.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
They already don't allow rain water collection in some places.
Speaking of rain water, I read this info recently (from some other source) and was a bit shocked, but I suppose I shouldn't be:

BTW, you seem to have a fair understanding of dew point for someone in that area. Many have to live in the desert a while to fully understand it. Yes, I've lived in ARK-LA-TX (all 3), so I now have a full understanding of the whole picture:). Most people do not.

Edit: This my 12th state of residence I think. I ran out of fingers and with 2 bad hips I can barely reach my toes, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
..... I ran out of fingers and with 2 bad hips I can barely reach my toes, so I'm not sure.

Someone close to me recently had one of their hip joint/sockets replaced. They were able to ascend and descend a flight of stairs the day after the surgery. Everyone I've discussed the surgery with that's had one states they should have had the procedure sooner.

scout24

Flashaholic
I have a torn labrium in my right hip that occasionally gives me fits. I need the hip replaced, but I'm too young (54) according to the orthopedist, he said they'd have to do it again down the road. Yippie... Back to your regularly scheduled heatwave thread. Second week of September, it's all over but the shouting here. One or two more mowings and I'll be raking leaves.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone close to me recently had one of their hip joint/sockets replaced. They were able to ascend and descend a flight of stairs the day after the surgery. Everyone I've discussed the surgery with that's had one states they should have had the procedure sooner.
I've had 4 hip surgeries in my life, but I'm not an expert - more of a victim I'd say:). Good on your friend for doing it, and glad it's working for them! Our Bro. @Poppy is about to make the move, and hopefully he'll be feeling better very soon!

I've had 4 hip surgeries in my life, but I'm not an expert - more of a victim I'd say:). Good on your friend for doing it, and glad it's working for them! Our Bro. @Poppy is about to make the move, and hopefully he'll be feeling better very soon!

We watched the entire robot-assisted procedure on YouTube after theirs had been conducted. Simply amazing! The very next day I woke up to an aching hip. My first thought was - OH HELL NO! I AIN'T GOING THROUGH THAT!!! Suffice it to say, watch it only after you've had it done.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
We watched the entire robot-assisted procedure on YouTube after theirs had been conducted. Simply amazing! The very next day I woke up to an aching hip. My first thought was - OH HELL NO! I AIN'T GOING THROUGH THAT!!! Suffice it to say, watch it only after you've had it done.
Suffice it to say, watch it only after you've had it done.
:). That is funny! Before a replacement I had done in '95-96, a friend taped an entire procedure on VHS and gave it to me. To this day, after 3 replacements, I have not yet watched that tape!! Maybe some time....of course things have probably changed since then, so maybe I won't.