Heat Wave 2022

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
We have periods with 20 degree spreads like 60/80 for low/high. Then those opressive humid periods where 78/88 low/high take place. In winter the 20 degree spread is typical.

But the in between is the pleasant weather period where you wear a jacket in the morning but down to short sleeves by lunch. Often 30 degree gaps between low/high takes place. That period some years lasts weeks and other years a few days before the extreme hot or cold sets in. Lately it's been a 35 degree spread.

Some people speak of dew point to judge the comfort level of a forecast. Nothing wrong with that. I watch forecasted lows. Say the forecast is 95/62 I know the humidity will be down enough where the air cools after dark. 95/72 I know to expect a thick humidity.
Yes, one thing that some people don't realize is how much effect cloud cover has on temperatures. In the daytime clouds can have cooling effect but often there is a raise in humidity and at night they can act like a blanket to keep the heat captive and have a warming effect when combined with higher than average temperature winds coming in.
Winds here can rush temperature changes in pretty quickly at times and the moisture coming in can raise dew points and reduce temperature ranges from day/night. It also can increase the effect of temperatures on the body either make it feel more hot or more cold and if not taken into account a normal temperature with stiff winds can feel miserable and has to be planned for. I've worked in the cold and was fine with 3 layers of clothing but a 15 mph wind made me need to add another layer or two going from 2-3 to 4 or 5 layers. In the summer sometimes you need to wear lighter colors wicking clothing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Right now the weather here is such that if you close the windows about mid-day there's enough cool remaining to not turn on the ac. The lows are enough where the house is nice n chilly in the morning.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
🔥 Yesterday morning we fired-up the pellet stove for the first time this season. 🔥
If I understand this article correctly we could go from extreme heat to the exact opposite.

A particularly cold winter with difficulty in heating due to the energy crisis would be a disaster for many.
I have not been able to understand if it concerns only Europe or even the American continent.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Temps dropped into the high 40's last night and the night before, with the daily highs at just about 70F.
Each morning when I got up, I turned on two kitchen stove jets, and the fireplace to take the chill out of the air.

1664045109422.png

Later today, I taught my grandson how to turn the gas back on for the furnace, and how to light the pilot light. I explained to him how the system works, and that if the pilot light won't stay lit, the cause is most often a failing thermocouple.

He is maturing. Now he asks intuitive questions, instead of "Poppy!, is this one of those learning things?"

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
We are out of the 100s here about 82 here today after a smidgen of rain and looks to be mid 80s for a week ahead instead of mid 90s to 100 it has been for awhile. The irony is on hot days I capture 5-8 gallons of water from my AC but now I am getting almost nothing. But then my plants need a lot less water when it is not so hot out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was always under the impression that an Indian summer was when it gets hot after a frost has occured in Fall.

We were in the low 40's for a low recently but are going back to normal Fall-like temperatures this coming week. 80's for high and 60's for low. It's usually October when we get to really cooling down.

This time of year I like to be on a tall bridge around sunset on full moon day. The harvest moon starts to peak on the horizon at the same time the sun is setting on the horizon.

One year when I was in Greensboro NC I found a dirt hill that was higher than everything around it. Due to the pollution there the sunsets are unbeliveable color schemes and on harvest moon day it was not dissapointing. A coca cola red sky to the west and pumpkin orange moon rising to the east. My camera was snapping photos about once per minute. Later I discovered the camera was loaded with black and white film. Draaaaaaatz!!! Nice pix resulted but not in color dogonit.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wait until the gubment writes a 2000 page bill called "save the summer act" because the word Indian is hate speech. 🙈

The "sunshine protection act" was said to take 200 plus pages to say "no more daylight savings time in America". It replaced "the uniform time act" of 1967 which replaced "the standard time act" of 1918.

Leave it up to the gubment to complicate pouring milk onto ceral.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Wait until the gubment writes a 2000 page bill called "save the summer act" because the word Indian is hate speech. 🙈

The "sunshine protection act" was said to take 200 plus pages to say "no more daylight savings time in America". It replaced "the uniform time act" of 1967 which replaced "the standard time act" of 1918.

Leave it up to the gubment to complicate pouring milk onto ceral.
No, they would instead of going forward/back an hour, they would skip a month and make January after November and put December back after March or something like that.