Hello, I am a survivalist and I search two flashlights running on AA and one on CR123

Special-K

Newly Enlightened
Hello to my fellows flashaholics,

Like I've writen I am a french survivalist and I want to buy two more flashlights for EDC and it will be better if they still works when SHTF...
One flashlight must run on AA (LR06) and the other on CR123A or better on 18650.

I'll go for the big one frist:

After a few search I am interested by some Surefire:

_UBR Invictus
_M3LT-S CombatLight
_M6LT Guardian
_P3X Fury
_And the much waited after UDR Dominator!

I am a newbe in the flashlights world but if some reliables mods exist for these lamps I'll be interested by them (where I can buy them, for how much and so on).
I've also seen an potentilly interresting light made by FoxFury, MF TAC-FIRE CREE 1100lm bu no reviews since 2007 when it's was relased.

For these flashlights more lumens the better, I need something with a beam who can break through thick smoke/fog/rain with throw/flood ratio far more favorable to throw but with a little spill.

Throw(distance)---------X-------------|-----------------------Flood/close-up

The durability is very important because I need somthing who can survive fire, rain and rough handling.

I am not yet decided for the AA model, I have a Fenix LD20 and I found it good but now I want a better output and a better constructed flashlight (Fenix deceived me with some of their models like my TK22 full of malfunctions).

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

1200 USD

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box but I am not against adding an extender a new LED and so on.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

All these oprions are ok for me CR123A/18650 Li-Ion or an battery pack and both oprions woutd be great.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

Not necessary.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____150+++ yards

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

I prefer a momentary tail switch or just a tail switich; a twisty is a no go.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

I want at least a Low/High setting but I am not against multiple levels and a strobe mode would be great.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

All of these and I'll add the great outdoors.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

These would be good but not necessary.

Now let's go for the litle one:

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

170 USD

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

Why not.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

I prefer a momentary tail switch or just a tail switich; a twisty is a no go.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
optional:
____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

If possible a very well constructer multimode flashlight using two to four AA cells.

So thank you for your valuables advices on these flashlights and others.
Greetings from France and best regards ;-)

P.S:Excuse my very rusty english.

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
The TK75vn gets raves for its combination of flood and throw - see the Custom Lights section, vinhnguyen54 subforum.

Here's a comparison of some AA lights: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...X25A3-vs-EA4&p=4311666&viewfull=1#post4311666
and also look at Selfbuilt's recommendations for various classes of AA lights (also explore his site): http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/recommend.html

If you don't already have one, another SHTF backup might be good. The Fenix E01 is respected as a tough simple light but it's 1AAA. Perhaps look at the Klarus Mi03 for what looks like a similar light but AA.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Malkoff Hound dog with MD4 body.

Malkoff MDC 1AA.

Peak Logan 123 for back-up and for draining the last drop of energy from the used CR123 cells from the Hound Dog.

Special-K

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

@Clstallus:
Thanks you for your reply, effectively the Fenix TK75vn XML2 6500K De-Dome Burn-in KillerThrow Edition seems to be a good choice especially with some extenders.
For the AA lights I still hesitate maybe a Fenix LD20/22 or an Armytek Partner A2 or Olight S15.
I may also buy a 4 AA cells Nitcore EA4 Pionner or a JetBeam SRA 40 (Can we put the 40mm color filters and difusers from Nitecore on the JetBeam SRA40?).
I may also buy one or two Zebralight SC600 MKII L2 running on 18650 (Do they support CR123A batteries?).

@Gravelmonkey:
I've read a lot on the Malkoff Hound dog MD4 flashlights it's an interresting light but I tend to lean towards the more powerfull TK75vn but tne Peak's Logan with the key chain body running on CR123A seems just perfect for me.

Best regards K.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Hello,

@Clstallus:
Thanks you for your reply, effectively the Fenix TK75vn XML2 6500K De-Dome Burn-in KillerThrow Edition seems to be a good choice especially with some extenders.
For the AA lights I still hesitate maybe a Fenix LD20/22 or an Armytek Partner A2 or Olight S15.
I may also buy a 4 AA cells Nitcore EA4 Pionner or a JetBeam SRA 40 (Can we put the 40mm color filters and difusers from Nitecore on the JetBeam SRA40?).
I may also buy one or two Zebralight SC600 MKII L2 running on 18650 (Do they support CR123A batteries?).

@Gravelmonkey:
I've read a lot on the Malkoff Hound dog MD4 flashlights it's an interresting light but I tend to lean towards the more powerfull TK75vn but tne Peak's Logan with the key chain body running on CR123A seems just perfect for me.

Best regards K.

It's a bit larger than 'keychain carry size' but you could even get a Logan 17500 and spacer kit- allows you to run AAA, AA, CR123 and rechargeable 17500 cells.

Regarding the TK75vn Vs Malkoff Hound Dog, most of the power-outage/hurricane/ice-storm survival threads I've come across here seem to put the emphasis on reasonably low light, I suppose you would get crazy long run-times on low with the a bunch of 18650 cells in the TK75 but according to Selfbuilt's review of the stock light Fenix do not recommend CR123a cells.

You also might want to consider a head-lamp, maybe a Zebralight H600 if the SC600 has caught your eye?

Neither the H600 or SC600 are compatible with CR123 cells which wouldn't be a problem if you were investing in a couple of sets for the TK75vn, you just need to work out a way of charging them when the power goes out (solar/car/etc)

Latest posts