Help choose emitters

Asusvivobook

Newly Enlightened
Hello folk! I need help swapping out these cold emitters on my Fenix hp25r.I need 1 neutral spot and 1 warm flood. Hi Cri always welcome.

I don't know much about this subject. Please offer me your infinite wisdom and suggestions.

The originals:
Spot Luminus SST40 white (5mm)
Flood Cree XP-G3 S4 neutral white (3.5mm)

Fenix lists the spot as an sst40 but my circuit board says XMA2. I'm not sure what I got but it's cold blue and belongs in the trash.
PXL_20240624_1747108863.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Floodlight Luminus SST40 white (5mm)
to replace the SST40, the only high CRI I know of that fits that 5mm solder pad is the
Warm White 90 CRI XM-L2 3000K
Spotlight Cree XP-G3 S4 neutral white (3.5mm)
to replace the XP-G3, a high CRI neutral white (3.5mm) LED that fits that 3.5mm solder pad is the 519a 4500K

If you dont know how to reflow bare LEDs onto the Fenix mcpcb's, and if you dont have the proper tools and supplies, suggest you contact skylumen.com and ask them if they can do the job for you.

If you want to learn to swap the LEDs yourself, here is a photo tutorial that shows the process and products I use.

It is also possible to replace the mcpcb that holds the SST40, with an mcpcb that would be compatible w Nichia 519a. There are factors to address, mostly related to the cutout shapes of the stock mcpcb being different than a generic mcpcb.. I dont know your skill level, nor am I an expert, but will be glad to help you learn more if you have questions ;-)

ps, a bit more info here

Last edited:

Asusvivobook

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed reply. I mixed up my words. Sst-40 is the spot, xp-g3 is flood.

I don't mind cutting a PCB to size.

So you suggest a 519a for both spot and flood? It's really that good? It's better than the XML2, for spotlight function?

And can AliExpress be trusted with emitters?

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the detailed reply. I mixed up my words. Sst-40 is the spot, xp-g3 is flood.

So you suggest a 519a for both spot and flood? It's really that good? It's better than the XML2, for spotlight function?

Smaller LED dies can provide a better spot, so the larger XML (5mm) die will be more flood than spot. Using a 3.5mm 519A will have a tighter hotspot; if de-domed (further reduction of effective die size), the spot will be more intense. I prefer the Osram W1 for the tightest spot (it's a 1mm x 1mm die on a 3.5mm footprint; but it's also lower CRI cool/pure white).

Optics and reflector can also make the final beam pattern vary widely, so please keep that in mind. Swapping a different sized LED into an original optic or reflector might work, or it might produce an ugly beam as the optic/reflector wasn't meant for that LED size. To avoid this risk, use the same sized LEDs as stock.

If it were me, I would go with a high CRI XM-L2 (only option would be warm tint) and a 519A.

Last edited:

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_3503.jpeg

I'm guessing this is the model of your headlamp? If so, swapping the spot LED to a different sized die has a high risk of producing an ugly beam because the reflector is sized for a 5mm LED and it's smooth. Without an orange peel texture to hide artifacts, a mismatch of LED to reflector likely will make a weird looking beam.

The flood won't matter as much because the pebbled optic hides pretty much all artifacts.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im thinking the optic controls the beam shape, not sure, dont have your light
519a gives you the option to have High CRI using a cooler 519a such as 5700K for the spot and possibly 3500K for flood,
I have no love for XML2 because I prioritize High CRI and non green tint. I love the 519a and it is an excellent replacement for XM for my needs
yes,
I look forward to your project success!
;-)

Asusvivobook

Newly Enlightened
Yep that's the one
I understand the dilemma.
I'll start with the XML2 / 519a

These emitters are pretty inexpensive. So if there are a couple more models to consider, let me know what to buy. I'll grab a bunch and test them all

Google search says that an sst-20 would be a great spot :unsure:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
it does have a small die, the 4000K was popular for a while but it does not fit the XM board the SST40 is on

> Sst-40 is the spot

a new kid on the block is the FFL505a Round.. very tiny phosphor area, likely to be very throwy, and I think it fits the XM solder pad footprint that the SST40 sits on

Last edited: