help me choose a cheap new car?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i prefere a stick shift for real it took me less then a minute to learn how to drive one there so simple .long as the gear postions are marked on the head of the stick . im more happy shifting on my own.
Looks like the stick-shift Spark is winning. ;)

I will say, I miss Suzuki. Unfortunate that they pulled out of the North American market more years ago than I can remember.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I still use a Brother electronic word-processor for when I need to type up new resumes. Though I haven't been job hunting in just a tick over one decade. Still have it though. Still works.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's not dead yet?:crackup:
Nope! Still works. Though, obviously, if it died; I'd just find a Typing Service to put a new version of my resume online. As well as print out a few physical copies. Long gone are the days where if you wanted a job, you simply showed up outside of an American factory; and asked the foreman for one. Usually getting hired on the spot.

So too are gone the days when you called up a company, asked if they're hiring; and showed up with your resume and list of references while wearing a suit & tie. Many companies now do online only where you're just a faceless e-page among countless others, and might call you in for a physical interview.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I learned on a stick shift & they are still the standard here. Im glad automatics are starting to overtake them I cant stand manuals, just antiquated technology & i say that as someone who collected typewriters lol.
Its a funny term, that "standard" refers to manual transmissions, because now in the US, automatics are standard, and one has to special order a manual trans.

My second, third, forth, fifth, and seventh cars were "stick shift". Something that I found interesting is that despite the fact that most tractor trailers have manual transmissions, typically cars and pick ups have a lower towing capacity when fitted with a manual trans than when fitted with an automatic trans.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My car has a manual feature where you shift it into the position that would be low gear for many auto trannies and that puts it into manual mode. The steering wheel has paddles for changing gears like a formula 1 car does. The car has nowhere near the giddy up and go of a formula 1 car though.

My work truck has the same feature but does not have the paddles.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My car has a manual feature where you shift it into the position that would be low gear for many auto trannies and that puts it into manual mode. The steering wheel has paddles for changing gears like a formula 1 car does. The car has nowhere near the giddy up and go of a formula 1 car though.

But it's an automatic transmission, right? IE there is no clutch pedal.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hate hate hate hate automatics .dont trust them . back in my younger days ive replaced many clutches in the driveway the wearable part being the clutch was cheap to replace if done ya self . while in there i did the throw out bearing and another part i forgot

Poppy

Flashaholic
i hate hate hate hate automatics .dont trust them . back in my younger days ive replaced many clutches in the driveway the wearable part being the clutch was cheap to replace if done ya self . while in there i did the throw out bearing and another part i forgot
Probably the pressure plate.

My 1999 Crown Vic had 260,000 miles on her and the trans was strong when she got rear ended and put in the grave yard. Currently my 2008 Grand Marquis has 272,000 miles and still running strong, - no problems.

I had to replace the clutch in at least three of my "standard" transmissions, none of which had over 100,000 miles on them.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
bingo correct answer. i love the crown vics nice comfy ride and dirt cheap used

Poppy

Flashaholic
bingo correct answer. i love the crown vics nice comfy ride and dirt cheap used
I bought mine new, but I agree and have said for years, that they are the best buy on the market place three years old. Typically bought by seniors, who maintain them meticulously, put low miles on them, and then swap them in and buy new.

In 1998 they changed the body style, so I didn't want a 1997. I bought it new.

My point is that you are not in your younger years any more, you aren't about to crawl under your car to swap out the clutch any more, and that the auto trans should be guaranteed for 100,000 miles, or at least 60,000. The limited amount of driving that you claim you will be doing, you may not put on more than 7,000 miles a year so 60,000 should last you almost 9 years. Certainly you can get an extended warranty.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have same auto/manual feature, as well the finger tip paddle shifters. Having turbo it has a lil giddy-up. So far I have gotten no moving violations. That can be accredited to my defensive driving skills, and the fuzz tends to overlook frumpy Subaru's (-;

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Its a funny term, that "standard" refers to manual transmissions, because now in the US, automatics are standard, and one has to special order a manual trans.
The 3-pedal arrangement is solidly in the minority now. Three persistent niches remain: sports cars, performance-oriented/enthusiast vehicles and the lowest end of the sedan market - and sports cars are rapidly moving towards some flavor of automatic - be it decisively quick-shifting ≥6 speed conventional automatic gearboxes or dual-clutch automatics (aka DCT). Otherwise they are increasingly not available.

The couple of times I've driven a vehicle with flappy paddle shifters or something that approximated ratchet-shifting on the traditional automatic lever I wasn't impressed. Perhaps it was the vehicles themselves - sedate loaners or rentals that dampen the sensation of driving to the point that it's boring.

i hate hate hate hate automatics .dont trust them .
This was a valid perspective in decades past - the old 4-speed slushbox wasn't the most reliable thing and you'd conclude a trip to a transmission shop at least a thousand bucks lighter. Nowadays the hydraulic automatic transmission is reasonably solid. I'd avoid DCTs and CVTs in lower-end vehicles; the former tend to be cheaply made and require unicorn blood exotic fluids to maintain while the latter have seemingly inherent reliability issues involving the, well, steel-reinforced rubber band integral to making them continuously variable.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i guess im still sad my tranny died in my first car i trully got so bummed was 16 or so. was a cheap nova i payed cash for man o man it gave me so much joy

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modern automatic transmissions for the most part are said to be very reliable. Our 2019 Toyota Tacoma allows manual shifting in the sense that one can move the center console shifter to the left of drive, then nudge the handle forward to use a faster gear, and rearward to get a lower gear. The computer will not let you make a foolish mistake, over-riding idiocy just like 4WD activation done poorly.

Our 2018 Subaru Forester has CVT and it is mostly great; cruise control is more pleasant and efficient in our hilly country here. Gets good gas mileage. I understand CVT has come a long way.

Saw a Suzuki Tracker a few days ago; so great as long as no roll over happens. Suzuki also had a small SUV that was nice, and their dual sport bikes? Perfect for our country.

Electric bike kit for me, and a solid choice for some. raggie would need cargo carrying ability though, and use ride share during inclement weather. Cars are too expensive. CarFax says my Tacoma is still worth more than our purchase price (upon inspection). That is some crazy messed up times we live in.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two Wonderful Old Subarus, bought used. Leaked at seals, burned oil. Reliable as all get out. This 2018, jury's still out. Subaru is more controlling in its safety measures; kind of annoying.