Help me choose a flashlight.

tn4072

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a new AA flashlight. I will primarily be using alkaline batteries. I would like to keep the cost under $75. After doing some research on this forum. I have been looking at:

- Quark AA, R5 Edition (around $57)
- Jetbeam Jet-I Pro V3 (around $70)
- NiteCore Defender Infinity (around $65)

I am leaning towards the Jetbeam, but would appreciate input on other lights listed. Are there any pro/cons to a particular light. Thanks in advance.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
You may not want to use these lights with alkalines. Unless you use high/turbo sparingly. They will be pretty hard on the cells.

Personally I would go with the Jetbeam.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
jetbeam for more throw
quark for more flood.

i would go with the quark in warm white XP-G which might still be in stage one of pre-order.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bear in mind that you will only get the 145lumens on the jetbeam with an alkaline not the full 240..

I would go for the quark or the nitecore and get yourself some eneloop ni-mh cells and a charger, the performance/runtime of the lights will be so much better than on alkalines.

Tbh I cant understand how anyone could even consider spending this much on a light if they then plan on using such a low performance battery chemistry with them.. :confused:

If however you are getting free alkalines from work or something and that is the main reason youre looking for a light, then the best regulated high performance flashlight that will run on them is the Fenix E20. That will run full power fully regulated for a good runtime on Alkaline cells due to having a circuit specifically designed for people on more of a budget. Any other high output light however will drain your cells very quickly to a point where it really isnt worth having such a high end light to run them on.

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to buy a new AA flashlight. I will primarily be using alkaline batteries. I would like to keep the cost under $75. After doing some research on this forum. I have been looking at:

- Quark AA, R5 Edition (around $57)
- Jetbeam Jet-I Pro V3 (around $70)
- NiteCore Defender Infinity (around $65)

I am leaning towards the Jetbeam, but would appreciate input on other lights listed. Are there any pro/cons to a particular light. Thanks in advance.
You would be far better off if you went for an iTP torch ... The iTP A2 is amazing and the price is much better than the ones you have quoted.

Fabulous reviews on CPF.

OCD

Enlightened
The Quark has the added benefit that if you decide you want more brightness or better run time, you can by an additional 123 or a 2xAA body for less than the cost of another light.

But, buying additional lights IS fun! :naughty:

joe1512

Enlightened
I'd like to point out a few things:

1) Alkalines are bad for these types of lights. They simply can't handle the higher current drain and thus they are very inefficient. Its like driving a car at 200 mph. Your gas mileage will suck bad!

2) Alkalines also can leak. This will ruin an expensive light.

There are several good alternatives for you to consider:

1) Rechargables. If you are gonna use the light a moderate amount or more, buy a 4-pack of Eneloop batteries and a charger. Eneloops do not lose their charge over time like normal rechargables.
Also, you will run much longer on 1 rechargable vs 1 eneloop on medium or high. They are 1.2 Volts (vs 1.5 alkaline), but work fine because they can handle higher current.
example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

2) Primary Lithium batteries. These are 1.7 volt AA replacements that are specifically for high current things like flashlights or flash cameras.
These are nice because they aren't that expensive, last a LOT longer than alkaline, and won't leak. An example,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00003IEME/?tag=cpf0b6-20

A more advanced choice is a Rechargable Lithium. You would need to research before doing this.
An example is: http://www.batteryjunction.com/protected-14500-lithium.html
They need a special charger, special care, and will burn up lights not made to handle them. They are 3.7 volts instead of the normal 1.5.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
The Jet I Pro v3 is on my list to buy. That would be my pick. Not sure if I really need it since I have the JetBeam RRT-0 already and it takes 1x123 or 1xAA w/ AA extender which I bought also. Now it is over your $75 limit but with the CPF 20% off JetBeam code at bugoutgearusa.com, It really brings the price down and you get the functionality of being able to use either a AA or 123 cell. And the output boost w/ 123 cell is nice!

And I concur with KingCanada about the use of alkalines. If this is a user, get a good rechargeable like Sanyo Eneloops or the Duracell rebrand we call Duraloops (LSD NiMh cells with white tops and "Made in Japan"). If it is used often, you'll go through alkalines fast. Another option is to use Lithium primaries like the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. The cost more but you easily get triple or more runtime.

Last edited:

RedFalconBill

Newly Enlightened
If however you are getting free alkalines from work or something and that is the main reason youre looking for a light, then the best regulated high performance flashlight that will run on them is the Fenix E20. That will run full power fully regulated for a good runtime on Alkaline cells due to having a circuit specifically designed for people on more of a budget. Any other high output light however will drain your cells very quickly to a point where it really isnt worth having such a high end light to run them on.

If you look on NiteCore's own website, you can see the Defender Infinity does not work very well with alkaline batteries.

If you want simple, the E20 will work for an hour with alkaline batteries. Also consider the EagleTac P100A2. It is simple to operate and offers two levels of output, Turbo and General.

If you are still looking for a 1xAA flashlight, give the iTP C7T a look.