Help me choose my first flashlight

Please help me decide on which light to purchase.

• Quark Mini123

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Quark Mini AA

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Quark 123 R5

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Quark AA R5

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Quark 123 R2

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other: Please specify

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Out of those lights I would go for the Quark AA Tactical. Just because you have the option of putting a nimh, 14500, or primaries in it.

I personally like my 123^2 with a 17670 in it as an EDC.

What would be the advantages of nimh, 14500, or primaries? Are any of these cheaper and would cause the light to out perform the CR123 version?

I saw a review of a few lights on this forum and the nitecore EZ AA with lithium was much brighter than with standard AA.

LumaNaughty

Newly Enlightened
What would be the advantages of nimh, 14500, or primaries? Are any of these cheaper and would cause the light to out perform the CR123 version?

nimh are nice because you can use them for other things. I personally like the 14500 because it makes the Quarks brighter. Unfortunately like I can't run my AA^2 with 14500s or I would, makes me think that I should have bought a AA instead of a AA^2.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
Why are are there as many people voting for the AA R5 than the CR123 R5?? While AA are cheaper, CR123 batteries are not that expensive. Am I missing something?? Maybe lithium AA batteries work very good and are still a bit cheaper than CR123.

I voted Quark AA over Quark 123 because for an EDC light, I like a little more length. I find I carry my Quark AA more often because it's easier to handle. Not to mention the battery versatility.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Spend the $$ and buy a light you'll have for 10 years+

RA Clicky

So are you saying that these really expensive LED flashlights that I have been considering (4Sevens, Nitecore, Fenix) will not last me 10+ years??

I sometimes expect too much but I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if those brands wouldn't last me 10 years. I have a $4 flashlight I purchased 6 years ago that is still running as good as the day I bought it. It is also made of plastic.

At least if i go with 4Sevens I would get a 10 year warranty.

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
If you want a keychain light get a mini, if you want a duty light get one of the regular quarks, but my gut is telling me you should probably just go with a quark. If you want more throw go with the R2 and if you want more flood for up close work go with the R5.

Also consider getting the prism head if it is something you think might help you.

When choosing between the lights listed Sol-leks nailed it. Just wanted to add that going AA will make it easier to find batteries. I have the Mini Quarks in AA and 123. The Li-ion 14500 will get you about the same brightness as the 123. They are both light duty compared to the regular quarks.
If you are going to treat your flashlight rough than I recommend you go with one of the reg Quarks since the wall are thicker and can take more punishment and they can come with a clp and more accesories if thats important to you. Go tactical if you want it programmable.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight SC30...this things is an awesome EDC! 193 OTF on high and has a moonlight mode as well. Both ends of the spectrum in such a small package.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote: Quark AA

This is my EDC. It's small, light weight, easy to use (who ever thought there'd be a day when you'd have qualify a flashlight as "easy to use"?), and the output levels are very useful and practical in a wide variety of situations. Plus, AA batteries are cheap and readily available.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
When choosing between the lights listed Sol-leks nailed it. Just wanted to add that going AA will make it easier to find batteries. I have the Mini Quarks in AA and 123. The Li-ion 14500 will get you about the same brightness as the 123. They are both light duty compared to the regular quarks.
If you are going to treat your flashlight rough than I recommend you go with one of the reg Quarks since the wall are thicker and can take more punishment and they can come with a clp and more accesories if thats important to you. Go tactical if you want it programmable.

If a flashlight can use a Li-ion 14500 battery, then will they always be brighter than if I use a akaline or is this just with certain models?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
size matters, i went with the quark123 and never looked back, i have the more throwy XPE emitter, and its the regular version so i can tailstand it (invaluable IMO) i love the little guy, i run rechargeables through it. AA just don't cut it for me, if you are going to end up going rechargeable anyway, why not get the smaller form factor of the 123? Although out here, CR123 primaries are rare, if i had come out here without rechargeables or a charger, i would be rather SOL and then i guess i would have had to order a bunch of AA lights...darn lol

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
size matters, i went with the quark123 and never looked back, i have the more throwy XPE emitter, and its the regular version so i can tailstand it (invaluable IMO) i love the little guy, i run rechargeables through it. AA just don't cut it for me, if you are going to end up going rechargeable anyway, why not get the smaller form factor of the 123? Although out here, CR123 primaries are rare, if i had come out here without rechargeables or a charger, i would be rather SOL and then i guess i would have had to order a bunch of AA lights...darn lol

Aren't the CR123 batteries you find at your local store (pretty easily) cr123 primaries?? Such as duracell or I can even get surefire batteries locally.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i'm currently in iraq, i'm sure i could petition supply for some batteries, but as far as finding them at the on post stores i have only seen them for sale as 1 at a time duracells for $5 a piece! yet they sell the G2, G2L, and the 6PL...just not the batteries lol.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
i'm currently in iraq, i'm sure i could petition supply for some batteries, but as far as finding them at the on post stores i have only seen them for sale as 1 at a time duracells for $5 a piece! yet they sell the G2, G2L, and the 6PL...just not the batteries lol.

Yeah I could see where the CR123 could be rare.

Latest posts