Help me decide on a new light for the house

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I'm itching for a new light. I'm doing my best to only buy lights I'll use these days (rather then shelf queens and show off only lights), and this time I'm looking for a new light to use around the house.

Parameters:
18650 or 26650
Medium flood and throw, or even a little more floody, but not pure flood for sure.
5700k to 6300k seems to be my favorite tint. I do not like 5000k and less neutral.
Lower cost the better haha. Definitely not more then $200.
I need a low low for waking up early morning and middle of the night.
Higher high the better hehe. You gotta love that and it's great for going outside and lighting up the yard.
Controls on the side. I don't want a rear switch for this light.

Possibilities so far:

SC63 18650 XHP35 Cool White - $85
Pros: Great UI, lowest price, perfect tint, lumen per size very impressive.
Cons: Highest medium mode is 70 lumen, 1300 OTF lumen quite respectable, but these days can be better (I know, we're spoiled haha)

SDminiVN XPL 7000k - $130
Pro's: 1620 OTF lumen for the size is amazing, driver VNX2
Con's: 7000k? Don't know if I'd like it.

R50vn - $135 to $165
Pro's: Incredible output for the size, 2650 OTF lumens (XP50)/3000 OTF lumens (XP70), good UI, XHP70 might be perfect beam for what I want
Con's: Lowest mode is 50 lumens and I doubt that's low enough, using a 26650 light takes me away from my preferred 18650, but with being rechargeable, maybe it doesn't matter.

P60vn triple XPL - $125
I have a Solarforce L2D (has side switch) which has been modded for about 7 amps.
This could work, if Vinh will use a cool white LED instead of the 5000k neutral listed. It also depends on how many amps this drop is pushing, but I can't find that info, nor lumen output.

P60vn quad XPL HI V3 6500k - $180
Again, I have a Solarforce L2D (has side switch) which has been modded for about 7 amps.
Pro's: VNX3, 3000 OTF lumen max, and in a small light, everyone wants a quad, 6500k not perfect but close, and maybe can do 6000k.
Con's: $180 for just the drop in!?! Ouch!!! I have a hard time getting myself to do it thought there is no question his price is fair. Just seems like this is something for people with more money then me, collectors, and fans of the P60 lights (of which I had a huge collection of, but not anymore).

Last edited:

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey kevin, look like r50vn xhp 50 would be a great choice, but low mode is what gonna bother you. The good thing is r50vn came with the free battery.

You can also wait for acebeam ec50 gen 2 with the built in rechargeable.. Low mode is great. Full whole press is turbo..

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey kevin, look like r50vn xhp 50 would be a great choice, but low mode is what gonna bother you. The good thing is r50vn came with the free battery. Exactly

You can also wait for acebeam ec50 gen 2 with the built in rechargeable.. Low mode is great. Full whole press is turbo... I liked this light, but it uses a rear switch for on and off. Does the gen 2 lose the rear switch?
​And thanks for the info.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin1322, the R50vn is also a bit warmer than 5700k to my eye.

The SDminiVN with DriverVN2 and XPG2 is another option ( if Vinh still does it). It's throwy but has a large hot spot and perfect beam, so it's a good all rounder. It puts out 1000 lumens too, so it's on par with other lights of this size, but with better throw if you need it. It is in my top 2 or 3 most useful lights and I keep going back to it. No USB charging any more, but I'll take the performance over the convenience any day.

All the best with your decision. :)

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Tailswitch is gone.. So there is only 1 side switch near the head on the gen 2.
I've been looking at it since you mentioned it. I like it! Thanks man. Wonder what Vinh's going to do to it. If he can somehow push another 600 OTF lumens out of it like the gen one, that will be insane.

Kevin1322, the R50vn is also a bit warmer than 5700k to my eye.

The SDminiVN with DriverVN2 and XPG2 is another option ( if Vinh still does it). It's throwy but has a large hot spot and perfect beam, so it's a good all rounder. It puts out 1000 lumens too, so it's on par with other lights of this size, but with better throw if you need it. It is in my top 2 or 3 most useful lights and I keep going back to it. No USB charging any more, but I'll take the performance over the convenience any day.

All the best with your decision. :)
Another light I want haha. Thanks man.

Last edited:

Saul Good

Enlightened
Have you considered the EC4? I got ahold of one and did a current boost and dedomed xml2 u4. I love it! Beautiful beam, awesome throw, well spaced modes with a low low, and it slips in your back pocket very nicely. Nitecore offers a diffuser that slips on and off easily that turns it into an awesome flooder. I also like that it uses (2) 18650s and a buck driver for more runtime.
I know Vinh mods them, and his price is super reasonable considering how much of a pain it is to take out and mod the driver in this light.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the EC4? I got ahold of one and did a current boost and dedomed xml2 u4. I love it! Beautiful beam, awesome throw, well spaced modes with a low low, and it slips in your back pocket very nicely. Nitecore offers a diffuser that slips on and off easily that turns it into an awesome flooder. I also like that it uses (2) 18650s and a buck driver for more runtime.
I know Vinh mods them, and his price is super reasonable considering how much of a pain it is to take out and mod the driver in this light.
I've found I'm not a fan of the "flat" light. It also seems to be under powered for it's size, IMO. Sounds like it has great run time and probably heat management as well, but for this purchase I don't feel it's needed. Thank you for the suggestion though. Much appreciated.

Saul Good

Enlightened
I've found I'm not a fan of the "flat" light. It also seems to be under powered for it's size, IMO. Sounds like it has great run time and probably heat management as well, but for this purchase I don't feel it's needed. Thank you for the suggestion though. Much appreciated.
You're welcome. To each their own! If having a low low is a must, it's hard to beat ZL for that, especially if it's something that will be on your nightstand. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome. To each their own! If having a low low is a must, it's hard to beat ZL for that, especially if it's something that will be on your nightstand. I hope you find what you're looking for.
I have a stock Nitecore MH20 with a magnet on the bottom that I use for my nightstand now. An amazing little light and really it does the job quite well, I just want an upgrade. The one lumen low is perfect for late nights, but I really don't have a desire for the sub lumen lows that ZL have. And while I love their UI, I hate that they don't have any medium lumen outputs in their medium modes; they're all in their high modes. That's just my opinion though. Cheers.

Latest posts