Help me pick a FL for a gift to an art expert

fwafwow

Newly Enlightened
excellent choice, and a very reasonable price for a High CRI LED upgraded light

here is my favorite reviewer.. while youre debating your options

congrats on sorting through all the different suggestions

for an introductory UV light, I still like the Jetbeam... Although I dont think UV is a necessary tool for looking at art, UV is a fun novelty.

If you get serious about UV, I would point you to a more advanced product, that includes a visible light filter. This is one example of such a light.
Thank you. And I have confirmed with another friend who is her work colleague that they definitely use UV lights when examining collections. And ZeroAir is great!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the additional feedback. I don't believe there will always be an answer to where or how the art is displayed. And the type of art varies. Most of her work is with people who are selling a collection. Without naming the auction house, if you have read about a sale, there's about a 50/50 chance her company was involved, and if so, a pretty decent chance she was involved at some point.
Knowing this, do you think it would be prudent to maybe purchase two white lights to cover halogen and sunlight use cases?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the 4500k

y3wXVvf.jpg

4500k 219b 9080
j6f0J3x.jpg

3000K 219b 9080
B18fuee.jpg

rtcIZ8s.jpg

Last edited:

fwafwow

Newly Enlightened
Knowing this, do you think it would be prudent to maybe purchase two white lights to cover halogen and sunlight use cases?
Good question. But then I would also want to think about what lighting they do in NYC (or elsewhere) for the auctions. I think she is most likely looking at lighted pieces, but periodically is looking in attics. And I expect she is not making the technical and expert decisions that would probably be made by the second (etc.) set of eyes.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have confirmed with another friend who is her work colleague that they definitely use UV lights when examining collections
then you might want to consider which battery type you want her to use, and maybe have it match the battery type in the non UV light you choose to gift her

here is an AA model that claims to be 365nm. Inexpensive, but has no visible light filter…

or you can consider the AAA model from Jetbeam, also lacks visible light filter.. Here is the zeroair review

If you decide AAA UV is suitable, and you want to take it to the next level, by excluding the visible light, here is a ZWB Filter, aka Woods Lens, for that light

Here is a Jaxman 365nm UV with Woods Filter (visible light filter).. it runs on 18350 battery.. here is a review

here is the Convoy S2+ UV 365nm with Woods Filter, it is shown w 18650 body.. they also make an 18350 body

you may also want to consider a small coin purse to keep the two lights together

Last edited:

fwafwow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all who gave feedback. I ended up going with two SkyLumens:
  1. ToolVN AAA version with 219b 4500k; and
  2. Lumintop EDCvn with UV-A.
Those don't get me everything, but now I can spend some time thinking of a box and something like the suggested coin purse.