Help me pick my next purchase

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
Looking to buy another flashlight, and I would like to see what everyone recommends. I don't have a specific purpose for it, but I would like to base this purchase on what lights I already have (round out my collection). So based on this:

-under $300 (not a must)
-no specific lumens, purpose, battery, UI, material, run times, etc.

I know this leaves hundreds of available lights to pick from, and becomes difficult due to the fact I haven't narrowed down any options. And everyone could list 50 lights based on my criteria, but if you could just buy one (or two), what would it be? Thanks in advance. I will be placing an order after some suggestions.

Here's what I have so far:
-Foursevens preon 1
-Foursevens preon II
-Foursevens quark Mini X (used as my headlamp w/ fenix band)
-Foursevens Pen Light
-Foursevens Quark tactical-CR123 x2 (vehicle light)

-Eagletac D25a clicky
-Eagletac D25c ti clicky

-Jet Beam BC40 (sits on my fridge, basically my outside light)

-Klarus XT10 (night stand light)

-Olight i3S

-Surefire E1L

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you could buy either a multiple AA light or a multiple 18650 light if you think you would use them.
Check the EeagleTac or Fenix models with those battery types.

If not get a Surefire Defender Ultra.

ltsba

Newly Enlightened
you can look for thrunite flashlight, like TN31 XM-L2 and Catapult V3 XM-L2, and the nitecore TM26,SRT7,

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you could buy either a multiple AA light or a multiple 18650 light if you think you would use them.
Check the EeagleTac or Fenix models with those battery types.

If not get a Surefire Defender Ultra.

Thanks for the suggestions, here's what I came up with so far:

-EagleTac GX25A3
-Fenix RC40
-Nitecore "tiny monsters"

I've checked out the reviews of each. Problem is during my research of narrowing it down to one, I come across more potential considerations and my list grows
duh2.gif
(guess that is what I get for not having a specific reason to buy another light).

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
you can look for thrunite flashlight, like TN31 XM-L2 and Catapult V3 XM-L2, and the nitecore TM26,SRT7,

Yes very interested in the nitecore TM15 and the TM26. I feel like I will be choosing bewteen the Nitecore and the Fenix.....:confused:

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Malkoff Turn-key MD2 with High/Low Switch. It's somewhat similar to your collection. At the same time it will get you into modular lights expanding your diversity.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
full m3tal, you have a nice collection. Do you want more of the same or do you want to go in a different direction?

A bored SureFire 6P host, Solarforce host or Malkoff MD2 will provide you with a lot of flexibility in terms of different dropins and cells. There are a number of sales going on now, including Five Mega and Malkoff Devices, that could be interesting if you want to go in a new direction with your growing collection.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
agree with yoyoman.

from your list its time to diversify a bit. youve got tons of factory imports.

get something really nice. Ill 2nd the Malkoff MD2 hi-low turnkey with an M61 or start poking around in CPFM for a nice 6P or 9P or something and start looking at dropins, cell, and switch options for the hosts. I bought a Fenix LD22 for my first good light. Started reading a lot on CPF about Li cells and lights with bigger output. Then came Eneloops, a good charger, a Fenix PD32 UE and 18650 protected cells, then an Eagletac DC25LC2.

My next light was a Malkoff MD2 and that is now my go-to EDC light. Nohing I have comes close to the build quality and simple functionality of the Malkoff. With it I have the option of buying an MD4 body to run 2-18650s if I need a ton of runtime, and or different heads if I want a flood or throw monster like the Wildcat or Hound Dog.

Do yourself a favor and look hard at the MD2.

Worth every penny amd its my light purchase with the highest satisfaction and enjoyment level to date.

I like it so much I picked up a Surefire C2 that Im putting a Malkoff M61 dropin into that for my first modular light and some AW17670 cells to run that combo.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
:welcome:

So, the only real criteria are up to $300 (+?) and "something different" ... ?

I'll list three suggestions - practical, impractical, and downright crazy :devil:

1) A good P60 host would be most useful - my choice would be a SureFire C2 (or C3, if you can find one). This would provide you the ultimate in modularity, flexibility, "upgradability", etc. You would still have plenty of $$ left in the budget for accessories, dropin(s), batteries, and such.

2) Although rather impractical, a FireFoxes FF3 or FF4 HID would deliver truly awesome photon goodness :D This torch really has to be seen to be believed.

3) ... and if you want to consider "crazy" ... your budget isn't really that far short of a McGizmo (or similar custom), especially "pre-owned". Only real problem here, is that once you get one of these, you might want another, and another, and :eek:

Good luck with your choice !

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! These are exactly the type of suggestions I'm looking for. I will need to expand my knowledge, as I'm new to anything custom, upgrades, etc. But it seems as though I'm in the right place. Thx.

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
agree with yoyoman.

from your list its time to diversify a bit. youve got tons of factory imports.

get something really nice. Ill 2nd the Malkoff MD2 hi-low turnkey with an M61 or start poking around in CPFM for a nice 6P or 9P or something and start looking at dropins, cell, and switch options for the hosts. I bought a Fenix LD22 for my first good light. Started reading a lot on CPF about Li cells and lights with bigger output. Then came Eneloops, a good charger, a Fenix PD32 UE and 18650 protected cells, then an Eagletac DC25LC2.

My next light was a Malkoff MD2 and that is now my go-to EDC light. Nohing I have comes close to the build quality and simple functionality of the Malkoff. With it I have the option of buying an MD4 body to run 2-18650s if I need a ton of runtime, and or different heads if I want a flood or throw monster like the Wildcat or Hound Dog.

Do yourself a favor and look hard at the MD2.

Worth every penny amd its my light purchase with the highest satisfaction and enjoyment level to date.

I like it so much I picked up a Surefire C2 that Im putting a Malkoff M61 dropin into that for my first modular light and some AW17670 cells to run that combo.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty certain I'm sold on the MD2. Thanks.
Can't wait to do some more in depth research on this and get it going.

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

So, the only real criteria are up to $300 (+?) and "something different" ... ?

I'll list three suggestions - practical, impractical, and downright crazy :devil:

1) A good P60 host would be most useful - my choice would be a SureFire C2 (or C3, if you can find one). This would provide you the ultimate in modularity, flexibility, "upgradability", etc. You would still have plenty of $$ left in the budget for accessories, dropin(s), batteries, and such.

2) Although rather impractical, a FireFoxes FF3 or FF4 HID would deliver truly awesome photon goodness :D This torch really has to be seen to be believed.

3) ... and if you want to consider "crazy" ... your budget isn't really that far short of a McGizmo (or similar custom), especially "pre-owned". Only real problem here, is that once you get one of these, you might want another, and another, and :eek:

Good luck with your choice !

I've just recently looked into # 3, and I can tell you it's only a matter of time. I found quite a few things in the "for sale" section that was already sold, just waiting to pounce now. I'm trying not to buy too much too fast, as I look forward to doing research and getting cool things in the mail. As far as # 1, sounds like I'll be learning/researching this option next :)

swan

Banned
Looks like u need something with a bit of throw-fenix tk75 and maybe a 4 inch 900lm pocket rocket- zebralight sc600 mk11= $300 for both.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
We got you on the right track. Now, your original post mentions that you don't have any particular purpose, output or UI in mind. There are many options out there and they offer different capabilities.
> Prometheus Lights Alpha Ready-Made or Blue-Label - Beautiful tint and beam and good runtime.
> McGizmo - Lots of different options in the family and they are all wonderful. They are not lumen demons, but they are very solid, useful tools. Great design and execution.
> P60 hosts come in different flavors and prices. Malkoffs are very solid, reliable and have lego potential. But they are limited to Malkoff dropins, which is not a bad thing. I really like my Malkoff hosts and just another one on sale. Other hosts will take Malkoff dropins, but will also take other dropins (Nailbender, Vinhnuguyen54, EDCPlus, Solarforce, etc.).
> Oveready provides lots of different options and lego ability. Different heads, bezels, bodies and tails. The optons are almost unlimited. Just as addicting as McGizmo, IMHO.
> Peaks are available in different sizes (all relatively small) and different style heads. I only buy my Peaks from Oveready.
> MBI HF is another light to consider if you like small lights. Interesting design and a devoted following.
> Spy 007 - I haven't caught this bug yet. Interesting design and a devoted following. The latest version has just been released and that may be a reason some really lights are appearing in the market place now.

This list is not in any particular order and is not complete. Just trying to show that there are many options out there and you need to think about what you want in order to get a light that won't disappoint you. If you want throw and you buy a mule, you'll be disappointed.

New-XMLight

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD35
Niteye MSC20

Both are small and powerful EDC lights with state of the art electronic/LED.

Last edited: