Help Needed - Maglite 2D w/stuck batteries

Ghoster

Newly Enlightened
I was talking with my dad about my plans to put some terralux drop-ins in a pair of my old maglights and he liked the idea. Went to the garage to get his 2D, which was dead. Unscrewed the tailcap to pop the batteries out but they wouldn't budge. He can't remember the last time he used the light (easily years) and I'm sure one or both the batteries leaked. We worked and worked to pry them out with no luck, including slamming the light directly downward as hard as we could. We both kinda figure the light is headed to the trash but he's one to try and squeeze as much life/use out of something as possible (ironic since he hadn't used the light in years) and asked me to post here and ask if anyone has any other suggestions on dislodging the stuck batteries.

The light is still probably toast even if we get the batteries out, but if we do, is there an effective means to "clean out" the battery cavity and possibly restore functionality to the light? Thanks.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take off the head and switch (The switch takes an allen wrench). There's some way to make the body a hollow tube. Use a broom stick to push it out. If that doesn't work and you have a drill press (And a long bit you hate) then use that maybe. You want a weak acid to neutralize the basic Alkaline fluid.

Don't use alkalines!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try using some penetrating oil on the batteries. Leave the light bulb-down for a couple of days, then thump the light (bulb-up) on an old board. Drilling will work as well--like AnApple Snail said. You might choose to junk the light and buy a new one.

I posted contact information for 3 major battery brands here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rer-warranty-procedures&p=3650984#post3650984

They claim that if their batteries damage your flashlight they will repair/replace the damaged light.

Last edited:

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
Had this happen to me before. Hotwire's suggestion worked in my case. I used Break Free, sprayed the battery compartment and let it sit overnight. I was able to slide out the dead batteries easily.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends also whether they were paper covered alkalines or tin wrapped like a duracell. The tin wrapped I have found harder to extract. If you do get them out, a good wire brushing will need to be done to the coroded aluminum inside the the tube. If you know someone with a shop press, it is alot less messy pushing them out rather than trying to drill. Good luck, hope you get it.

Ghoster

Newly Enlightened
It depends also whether they were paper covered alkalines or tin wrapped like a duracell. The tin wrapped I have found harder to extract. If you do get them out, a good wire brushing will need to be done to the coroded aluminum inside the the tube. If you know someone with a shop press, it is alot less messy pushing them out rather than trying to drill. Good luck, hope you get it.

They are energizers, so I'm thinking paper wrapped, though until you mentioned it I had no idea batteries were wrapped in different ways :). I'm going for brake press fluid when I get off work this afternoon, but I'm hoping I can talk my dad into just tossing the light and replacing it. Thanks to everyone in the thread for the tips!

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Energizer Website Info said:
Question:

Is there a guarantee on Energizer® batteries?

Answer:

The Energizer®/Eveready® guarantee typically states: "We will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by these Energizer® batteries. Guarantee void if batteries are charged by user or device." Contact 1-800-383-7323. This guarantee may vary globally, so please check with your local Energizer office for details

i'd call, and then send them the battery/flashlight brick.

Last edited:

TheDread

Newly Enlightened
DO NOT THROW IT OUT!
Me and my Dad had the same problem with his. Squirt LEMON JUICE into it and let it sit for an hour. Then try slamming it again.

Rinspeed

Newly Enlightened
I just hit mine with some PB Blaster and let it sit for couple days and they came out fairly easy.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, my trusty 3D went through this some time ago. After taking the head, switch out and trying to ram it out with a dowel and a hammer, I gave up and it went in the trash.