Help! possible reasons my AW rechargeables wont work in my sure fire G-3???

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: OK guys I've given up on my AW 17500s in my S.F. G-3, will they work in a S.F. 9P

I purchased two pairs of 17500s and the B.O.G. drop in works perfect on three primary 123s. see here.....http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html Will the two 17500s power a P91 if I order that?

The fact that the BOG module works fine off 3 Primaries indicates there's nothing wrong with the host or the light module. Adding another lamp module will not solve the problem... I don't think.

The only thing left is the cells and charger. I think a DMM (even an inexpensive) one will help troubleshoot your setup further. It will indicate whether your charger is fully charging the cells, and reveal if you've got a dud cell.

FWIW, my WF-139 will not charge dud cells whose chemistry can't stabilize back up to over ~2.6V. If your charger is similar and you are trying to charge a severely depleted or dud cell.... it won't work.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
Re: OK guys I've given up on my AW 17500s in my S.F. G-3, will they work in a S.F. 9P

The fact that the BOG module works fine off 3 Primaries indicates there's nothing wrong with the host or the light module. Adding another lamp module will not solve the problem... I don't think.

The only thing left is the cells and charger. I think a DMM (even an inexpensive) one will help troubleshoot your setup further. It will indicate whether your charger is fully charging the cells, and reveal if you've got a dud cell.

FWIW, my WF-139 will not charge dud cells whose chemistry can't stabilize back up to over ~2.6V. If your charger is similar and you are trying to charge a severely depleted or dud cell.... it won't work.
Same charger as yours. It was purchased at the same time I got the four 17500s. Is it common to get duds from AW? These batteries and charger were purchased directly from AW just last month.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Same charger as yours. It was purchased at the same time I got the four 17500s. Is it common to get duds from AW? These batteries and charger were purchased directly from AW just last month.

I have no first hand experience with AW cells. I use unprotected ultrafires and white protected trustfires from DX. 16 cells in total used in various 16340 lights. 1 of the unprotecteds is a dud, it works fine but only "holds" ~350 mah.

Its also possible you got a dud charger, but I have two of these from DX with no problems (till my wife spilled water in one of them:()

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened

OK. Well, I think i'm going to run on up to Bass pro shops in Manteca today and see what they have in SureFire stock.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

OK. Well, I think i'm going to run on up to Bass pro shops in Manteca today and see what they have in SureFire stock.

nothing wrong with that!!

Sometimes the simplicity and durability of primaries really makes me think twice about some of my purchases.;)

supergravy

Newly Enlightened

I have the AW 17500's in both a G3 and C3 and they are working fantastic. Something funky must be going on with your setup.

Do they fit OK in your setup? Is it just that the lamp isn't lighting up?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 2x AW 17500s in my G-3 and they work fine. I've tried 2-3 different LED drop-ins and the only thing I've had to do is put in a loose wire circle to make proper contact between module and the metal tube in the G3. (not all modules needed this)

Are your 17500s the ones with the button tops or the ones that the positive terminal is almost flush with the top of the battery? If it's not the button top version you'll need a small magnet (actually AW used to include some) to make proper contact between the batteries.

You might get some bare wire and try to light up the drop-in outside of the light. That should tell you if it's a contact problem within the light.

-LT

mdocod

Flashaholic

We already had this (basically the same) discussion, the answers haven't changed, you need a module with a spring on the bottom, and you can't use a P91 with 17500s...

Here's your thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214083

Buying a 9P may or may not solve any problems, but there are certainly less reported problems in the metal body lights. It sounds to me like your contact problems are related to the BOG module's lack of a center spring....

Eric

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

This thread inspired me to try and put a spring on my bog module. I'm gonna let the arctic alumina set for a while, then see how it works.

Oh, I'll be using a FM 2x18500 body for this, too... it's not exactly a 9P.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened

I remember what you said about the spring. BUT, it looks like if i try that i may end up shorting out the board as it's all exposed on the bottom.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

for the OP. I had issues as well running 2x17500 in my SF L6 Porcupine/SF M3. It seemed to only work if I used my Z46 tailcap. std LOTC, clicky tailcaps did not work. only that specific tailcap would fire up the L6/M3 head while using 17500s.

I did figure out the problem. The batteries are too long. I switched to one 17500 and a RCR123 with a custom metal spacer I made out of junk lying at work. I first tried it where the length of my spacer was exactly difference in length between a 17500 and a RCR123. But it didnt work. Then i shortened my spacer and now my light works with any tailcap.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened

We already had this (basically the same) discussion, the answers haven't changed, you need a module with a spring on the bottom, and you can't use a P91 with 17500s...

Here's your thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214083

Buying a 9P may or may not solve any problems, but there are certainly less reported problems in the metal body lights. It sounds to me like your contact problems are related to the BOG module's lack of a center spring....

Eric
Why can't I use a P91 with the 17500s?

Niconical

Enlightened

Why can't I use a P91 with the 17500s?

The P91 will be too hard on the batteries.

The highest you can (should) go with a stock G3/9P using rechargeables would be the Lumens factory EO-9 with 2x17500. Or there is the option of having a 9P bored out to accept 2x18500 for a P91, or using a 1 cell extender to make it fit 2x17670, also then with a P91.

Alternatively, wait a week or 2 and see what options Lumens Factory might come up with for 3xIMR16340, although I'm not sure they're actually making one of those.

Either way, anything EO-9 or above is going to get HOT in a G3 :(

PS: Mdocod, if you're reading....., how cool is this? I'm giving out incan battery advice!

kramer5150

Flashaholic

oops... my mistake. I fixed my comment above:eek: thanks mdocod

mdocod

Flashaholic

PS: Mdocod, if you're reading....., how cool is this? I'm giving out incan battery advice!

:thumbsup:

niconical has it right on the nose.

To expand on the concept a little further, li-ion manufacturers generally have a maximum recommended "safe" discharge rate of 1.5-2C for most lithium cobalt chemistry cells. This translates to a discharge rate that should be spread out over 30 minutes or longer. In order to achieve 30 minutes of true runtime on a P91 would require a li-ion cell having at least ~1.35AH of true capacity into that load. (which means a label capacity of ~1.5-1.6AH in most cases). The highest capacity 17500s are generally rated ~1-1.2AH and would have a true capacity into this sort of load of around 1AH give or take, which would translate to a runtime of about 22 minutes, which isn't good for the cell.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

How are AW's 18500's for running the P91? (Yellow? lol)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

im confused why would a 18500 work and not 17500?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

im confused why would a 18500 work and not 17500?

Because of the 18500's larger cell capacity it is able to produce more current safely.

The P17500's will actually work, if you double or triple click to fake out the protection circuit, but the 2.5-2.6A the P91 tends to draw is not good for the smaller P17500 cell and may cause it to overheat.