Help, shopping for a rechargable

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I currently have the personal carry lights that I like. Now I am interested in home lights. I am looking for utility. I plan on having a charger close to the front door, the backdoor, the garage, and possibly the bedroom each with a light ready to use without loading batteries, this is the only reason that I have not considered SureFire. I do not want an adjustable beam but one that puts out a beam of good utility value. These lights are not intended to be blast your eyes out tactical lights, if I need that, I will grab a 12ZM. Again, this is for general utility work. something in the 60 to 120 lumen range will do nicely. Also, I hate plastic lights but on the charger being of plastic is ok. This light is also not intended for long power outages, I have other plans for that problem should it occur. I would like all of these lights to share a common battery. I have considered Streamlight, what do you guys think and what are my other options. Don't tell me that 10x dominator.

To sum up.

Midsized to small utility.

Non adjustable beam with good beam angle for general utility functions.

60-120 Lumen range would be nice, I will not fault too much if higher.

Light of metal construction.

Common battery among 3 or 4 lights, could all be the same exact model or not.

What do you Guys have for me?
Open to suggestions.

To stave off suggestions that are already covered by my arsenal, I already have I think 8 SureFires, several Arcs, LE...LS...AAA, Freeplay, D cell Maglights, 2 headlamps, lots of working 1920's era brass antiques lights, Inova 5x, and assorted other junk quality lights from before I found this site.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Wow! that is quite a collection. For your
recargeable light, i would suggest Sure-Fire
8ax system. It has a nice utility beam, comes
with two batts. and it is made out of hard
anodized aluminum, with a pyrex lens.
grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
BAsed upon the initial post, SF's wont fit the bill...BUT I know what will:

Pick-up a Streamlight Stinger, aluminum model, with the new piggy-back charger. The new charger charges the light and a spare battery stick at the same time. Streamlight also offers fast chargers, and you can always upgrade the Stingers to a Stinger HP.

D'oh, I just remembered that the Stinger has an adustable beam...Oh well, buy a dozen, anyways!!!!!

--dan

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non-adjustable beams of the non-rechargeable Streamlight 4AA and the 3C are quite tight & non utilitarian. The spill is usable, but I only use them for reach. Actually, I seldom use them .

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon,
To fit your criteria, I would suggest the SL Stinger. Maybe 1 UltraStinger for long reach. They're not the same voltage, but the do use the same charger. Since you're going to leave them pluged in, I wouldn't worry about the rapid charger.
TX

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
A Stinger, or PolyStinger would do the job for you very nicely. Stingers seem to hold their charges well, so you might want to go to www.Brightguy.com and buy some of the Stingers as just the light, and then just rotate them throught the chargers. This would save quite a bit of money.

Grog

Enlightened
If it must be a fixed beam I'd go with the SL 20 if you want metal. I prefer the poly version myself, it can take a beating.
smile.gif
smile.gif

The beams are as perfect as can be.

If the adjustibilty of the Stinger is not a problem that would be good also.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I have had or played with all the lights
mentioned in this topic, and i would still
recomend you get either a sf 8ax or 8nx. These lights are FAR superior to anything
streamlight makes, and they have nicer beams
than the stinger, or ultra stinger. I used to
have a stinger, but i used it out in the rain
once, and it filled up with water, so i gave
it to my grandma, and bought a real light:
a sf 8ax! (by the way, i don't have any affiliation with sf in any way, and i don't
work there)
grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love SureFire lights, the only thing stopping me from getting them is the lack of charge in body ability of their metal rechargables.

DonL

Enlightened
Jon, if you want a Surefire with a drop-in rechargability, look for one of the earlier 8N or 9N models. The batteries can still be taken out and charged separately on their quick-charger if you want, or the light can be left complete in the cradle.

Also, please don't be too quick to underestimate some of the polymers on the market today. The PolyStinger and 8NX are very rugged and durable lights, and the ability to charge both the assembled light and a spare battery at the same time is a big advantage. If you don't want to adjust it, then simply set it in one place and forget about it.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, having looked at all the rechargeables, I'm going for the Mag charger system. Runtime, and mostly, aesthetics. I know SF and SL are popular here <shrug> but they just don't impress me. The 123li ones kinda, but the price is ridiculous. Still, the D3 is tempting as a one-step-up from the Brinkmann LX. The M6? Too big. If it ain't pocketable, then a McCulloch.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Radellaf, have you ever actually seen a sf or sl in action? I think you would change your mind if you had actually used one. To
be fair, i have never used a mag-charger, but i have been on the recieving end of one
(it is a long story),and it is really bright from that end.
grin.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, can't say that I have, though from what I've read the Brinkmann LX is about the equal of the SF e2, at least in performance if not looks. I wouldn't run the HOLAs, and I really don't like "tactically correct" switches. Even less do I like the extra rings they put around the bodies for a "tactical grip" on everything but the e series. They look like macho gun-accessories, which, basically, is what they're sold for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif No slight to you if that's your thing, it's just not mine.

As for SL, well, I just bought a Stinger. Batteries plus had them for $80 with 2 10-hr chargers and AC & DC cords /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. I might use the DC one in the car...or just retire the LX to the car since I don't use a light in the car much, and the Stinger should be as bright or brighter with its 6W bulb. I don't expect it to outdo the 8W Mag charger, but it is much smaller.

I'm hoping to make it an EDC if I can get it to fit in my bag. At least it has a chance! BTW, it came with a smooth reflector. Hope the beam isn't too bad.

The charger is more complex than I'd guessed. It's an LM317 circuit, but the LED is hooked up through a transistor whose BE junction (I think, if the leads are EBC) is across the 317's current-setting resistor. Maybe it goes out when the battery is charged? Maybe that reduces the charge current? They say you can leave the light on-charge, but I won't take their word on that if it's always being C/10 charged.

Interesting that they say not to discharge the batt periodically as it's bad for "battery and lamp life", whereas Mag says to run it down (not out, just to where it starts to dim) twice a year. I'll have to agree w/Mag on this one. Fortunate that I have a Maha C777-II+ on the way if I want to fast-charge the pack, but I don't think it will discharge a 3-cell pack. The RS pack-charger I'm replacing won't even charge less than 4 cells, though. OK for the Mag's 5 cell pack, but not for the Stinger.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Batteries Plus had a bogus reason for not taking a return if I don't like the SL. They claim the batt is "dormant" and that once you charge it, it is no longer able to stay good on the shelf. What's the deal? First I hear LEDCorp saying that about alkalines, and now Batteries Plus saying it about NiCds. I read the battery sheets, and Cadex's book, and AFAICT there's just no truth to the idea. Furthermore, the Stinger's manual says it has (from the Streamlight dealer, not just Streamlight themselves) a 10 day satisfaction guarantee, so they should have to take a return charged or not... eh, I shouldn't worry. Apart from the one comment in this thread about it not being watertight (I don't use lights in the rain, generally) everything I read about the Stinger highly recommends it.

I guess I'm nervous about a return policy since I basically bought it on impulse, after talking with a security guard who had one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Didn't know the guy, but he stopped by the coffee shop I frequent. I didn't recognize his light for certain, asked him if it was a Streamlight...he said no, a Stinger, we talked about it briefly and, well...now I have one. Only thing he didn't like about it was the price (with the fast charger, which I guess a security guy would want).

It was kinda fun buying it on impulse, esp. since I haven't had the money to do that for like 8 months now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif (used to do it all the time out of job-boredom...less bored now working part-time, and less rich). But, looks like I'll get a fat tax refund. I figure I'll save most of it, but a portion of it I'm just going to have fun with. These days, that means flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To that end I'm also looking forward to an LGI, and a Q3L-Madmax in a Legend. Finally found a Legend for sale around here, at REI, who has never had them in stock before. Past that, I'll just cache $100 for when a nice 5W luxeon light comes out from one of our resident /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif mod-men. Sounds like a few are in the works.

And, if the Stinger won't make an EDC, then at least with the Madmax on the table at home, I won't miss keeping the Arc SLS 1x123 in the handbag.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Stinger fits the bill. Lots of bad press on here about SF rechargables.

Another light to consider is the Tigerlight FBP. It's a bit more expensive than the Stinger, but has a bit more light output, too.

What I wish is that somebody would put a 7-LED head on a Polystinger. That would be a nice light...

Knife11

Newly Enlightened
Get the 10x Dominator!!:D Sorry I had to do that!

I guess I'd get a couple of stingers but they're kind of expensive to get a lot of them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif well that's my idea.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, thanks for the reassurance.

After 5 hours charge I tested it out a little and, wow, it is rather bright. In my usual "point two at the ceiling and alternate between them" test, it was a bit brighter than my Brinkmann Legend LX. The LX had a larger minimum spot, I guess because it has a non-mirror-finish reflector. I think I like the Stinger's tighter spot better. It's nice to have the tighter focussed spot, and there's so much spill light that near things are lit up quite well. So, just as well not to have the stippled reflector.

Also, the size is just small enough to lie horizontally in my bag with the SCH3500 phone over it. BTW, the bag is an eagle creek exit pouch. Pic at http://www.eaglecreek.com/40113.html , modified with an elastic loop in the main compartment to hold the Arc LS, usually next to the phone & a GPS.

So, I think I'm satisfied with it and can feel good about the purchase. It's another proprietary batt. pack, but gets me my 2nd brightest flashlight in a nice size package.

Now, where to put the car charger in the '00 Civic, or whether to install it at all, is the question. Trunk would be easy, screwed into the back seat, get constant power off the amplifier. Or, it would fit in the upper left of the glovebox, where I guess I could attach it to the plastic with adhesive or RS's super-lock 'velcro', and get switched power off the lighter socket. Actually, unless it ends up living in the car, no need to attach the cradle. I can just let it rest in the glovebox. It would then take two hands to re-insert the light but big deal...it wouldn't be that easy to snap it in one handed anyway, unless I was the passenger, in which case I'd have my hands free.

The Tigerlight is pretty nifty, too. Might have been better than the Mag Charger...maybe. NiMH, and smaller. But, it's 11oz heavier and 5/8" longer than the Stinger, so a tough EDC for me. Also, the switch is on (IMHO) the wrong end. http://www.tigerlight.net/TigerLightTab/Specifications.php

Know if anyone's done NiMH packs for the Stinger?

A 7-LED head? How about a 5W LS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (with 2 or 3 power levels)

If I want 7 LED's worth in a rechargeable I'll just carry the Arc LS with NiMH AAs. Or, when it arrives, to have a tailswitch and less crushing of batteries, the madmax in the 2AA legend.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
.....I do not want an adjustable beam but one that puts out a beam of good utility value.....

[/ QUOTE ]

JonSydney,

I share you feelings about focusable lights, but the bezel of the Polystinger (and presumably the Stinger) has a nice firm "tack" that would make it hard to defocus inadvertantly. I've found that with a sustained burn, as the head heats up the bezel becomes even tighter.

As a result, I don't consider it a real problem.

Brightnorm

Albany Tom

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
A 7-LED head? How about a 5W LS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (with 2 or 3 power levels)

If I want 7 LED's worth in a rechargeable I'll just carry the Arc LS with NiMH AAs. Or, when it arrives, to have a tailswitch and less crushing of batteries, the madmax in the 2AA legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

All sound good, except I want a light that clips into a recharger, so I can just leave it plugged in all the time. (Am I spoiled, or what?)