Help With Custom Built Laser Materials

SuperBert

Enlightened
Im starting a new project which consists of building a high powered, handheld laser module (532nm). Im looking for an output of around 400-500mw. I know with your help I can make this work. I need a list of everything Im going to need and a good place to find it (websites). Ive emailed Boston Laser inc, the manufacturer of the T0-3 laser diode package, to see if they could make a custom setup for me. Thanks in advance guys!

Arni

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
i have also tried to build my own Laser. At the moment i use a 1Watt 808 TO-3 Diode from Roithner-laser. But the hardest thing it to get the right alignment of the lenses and cristals. I get out from 800mWatt 808nm only 25mWatt 532nm. But i think the cristals what i use are not the best. The next time i want to order from Casix some better cristalls. Vashio is also a good place to get cheap Diodes.
Laser projekt

SuperBert

Enlightened
enigmahack isnt available to help with that, and he was the source for all of my materials. I want to do the same casing idea though, i just dont know where to get everything

DaFiend

Enlightened
What happened? i haven't seen him about here lately..... Surely he could have passed all the info on to you.

SuperBert

Enlightened
hes just had some things come up that needs to be taken care of... he was the source of the laser assembly w crystals and everything, along with the driverboard too. makes me sad too!

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Last I checked I was the supplier of the laser components for that project...

Anywho. Your asking for trouble trying to get 500mW out of a portable unit.

For "hobby" application your looking at a few thousand dollars and quite an unmanageable amount of pump source power.

Feel free to shoot an Email to me and we can go over it all.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
I thought I would give my comments on the design of a higher powered "self-contained" laser. I think consideration should be made on a design based on a "lantern style battery/flashlight" or a large Maglight type case that hold 6 "D" cell batteries. ^ "D" cells really are a minimum as my PGL-3 that outputs ~250-300mw and use 2-"C" cell batteries will only give maximum output for only the 1st 3-5minutes of use on a new set of batteries, after those 1st minutes since current draw is so high, the battery voltage quickly drops below 3v and thus the output power starts falling just as fast.. The PGL-3 uses a 1.2w diode so a 2w diode will need to be found for an output of 400-500mw and still ensure the diode is not being over-driven and diode life comprimised. I would estimate the current draw would be between 1.5A to 2.0A as my PGL is at ~880ma. I'mm figuring 6 D cells configured as 2 sets of 3 in series to provide 4.5 volts at twice the current capacity; this 4.5 volts would then be regulated down to 3v for the diode. That way there would be a decent amount of usage time before the voltage would drop from 4.5 to 3v and the output power starts dropping. I know a lantern style is not very convienent, but then again 6 D cell batteries makes for a pretty long device as well. The truth is when the current draw starts climbing like this, you need lots more power; and the PGL-3 is really underpowered by using only 2 cells; it is rediculas that after 10 minutes of use on a set of batteries, the output power has dropped by 25% or more.

Jack

DaFiend

Enlightened
I've spoken to some tech's from other laser companies other than CNI, and they never really want to produce anything over 100mW in a handheld unit cause with out TEC cooling its just too damn unstable. they would rather prefer to make a 70mW that is sweetly stable than a more powerful unit.

best bet is to not go for so much power in a big hit first try and see how you go.

My 2c

Raccoon

Enlightened
If someone were to manage a project with a 6 D-Cell Mag·Lite, I would buy in. The size wouldn't bother me considering the power it would output. There would be no mistake that you're holding a Sub Class IV laser device. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A 6 D-Mag costs only $29.95, correction $17.91, but doesn't come in green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif They make a 3 D-Mag in green though.

The only problem I forsee is the space the laser components will require may take up the space of one of the batteries. Can you get the voltage you require with only 5 cells? What about using shorter + rechargable Li-Ion Bats?

PS. I would also want 5mm dot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi Racoon, I guess I was not thinking of actually using a Maglight per se, but having something of that approx. size machined as it would need a couple of inches extra for the driver board and laser hardware...do they make a 7 D cell maglight?? probably not. mabye a unit that used two or three of the pila batteries in parallel would work well too.

Jack

Raccoon

Enlightened
I would just go with a 6 cell mag filled with Pilas. Because they're shorter than D cell batteries, you should have PLENTY of room with the difference of 6 cells combined.

Also, a $17 mag-lite would be much cheaper than ANY custom machine job. At least a hundred bucks cheaper. And they're pretty water tight.

DaFiend

Enlightened
I think somethink a bit more solider than a mag, same size and length though, just means some machining to be done.Just to get the heat dispersed better.

If you were to start from scratch pila's would be the way to go wouldn't they? Rechargeable, and higher voltage etc. I'm just thinking of shiftlocks PGL.....

Or at least make the driverboard unregulated so you can use pila's modified to fit the housing.

The other thing is you don't necessarily have to use "D" / size, i'm sure there would be AA to D Holders.

I've seen fivemega selling 9 AA to 3C holders , that you can just plug a charger into and recharge. heaps of people using these for mag85 and other mods.

SuperBert

Enlightened
ive got a friend that runs a machine shop, so this wont be an issue... i can have more made for you guys too if this works out well

Raccoon

Enlightened
So what kind of Pila conversions exist for what standard cell sizes? If you can fit the same number of Pila batteries in a 6 C-cell Mag as you can a 6 D-cell Mag, then definitely go with the 6 C-cell Mag.

SuperBert-- If your friend can machine Mag·Like bodies at Mag·Like prices, that'd be most awsomest!

DaFiend

Enlightened
you have to make your own, like shift lock. pila's are longer and maybe a bit fatter than AA. he just wrapped them up in a bit of split hose then had a another home made chock to fill the space that was left.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
PILA150S = 1.5 x CR123 or 2xCR2 in length, thickness is a tiny tad bit more than CR123

PILA150A = same length, but thicker and more capacity

PILA168S = 2xCR123 with same thickness as 150S

PILA168A = 2xCR123 but thicker as 168S

"S" is considdered "SureFire", meaning they< fir SF E-Series bodies.

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
BTW ... if you wanna go really over the top, you can mod a big SureFire incan or a PILA / Wolf-Eyes light ...
bk

comozo

Enlightened
I retro-fitted my CNI laser module in to what are called Brass Nipples [pluming supplies like Home Depot] result turned out great. Brass nipples come in various lengths and inside diameters. Good heat sink too. I can now use AA batteries.