Help with Surefire - brand new LX2 with fingerprints(?) on reflector

the badger

Enlightened
Hey everybody,

I received a NIB Surefire LX2 Lumamax that I purchased off ebay. When I opened the box and turned on the light, I noticed fingerprints (or smudge-type markings) around pretty much the entire perimeter of the reflector. The lights shows no signs of tampering and as far as I can tell, I was the first person to open the box after the factory. This looks almost like it occurred during the manufacturing process.

Below are some pics of the smudges, but they are very tough to see as it's only possible to really see them when the light is on low mode. And taking a decent photo (with my camera) is proving difficult. The marks are significantly worse than the photos show.

Is this something that has been seen before? What should I do about it?

Thanks!

nbp

Flashaholic
It really won't affect the beam in any noticeable way, especially in a TIR light. I would point it the other way, turn it on and enjoy it.

the badger

Enlightened
Unfortunately I can't ignore it. I guarantee if you saw the light in person your eyes would pop out.

I wouldn't take delivery of an Audi from the dealer with a big *** door ding. Nope.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has them too, smudges and dust. At first it bothered me but after a year of moderate use and superb performance I learned to live with it. Head's sealed so I couldn't do anything to clean it up. A reflector with that much dust and marks would have been a different story though.

the badger

Enlightened
Hey Robert,

I'd love to say "I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one" but I don't feel that way. I am very disappointed that Surefire QC has allowed these lights to pass into the consumers hands.

I realize this light is cheap in comparison to my other lights but that doesn't matter, it is Surefire. I expect more (much more) from them. A shame really, regardless of performance.

Remember that door ding in that Audi…well that doesn't affect performance. It only affects how people view it…

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I can't ignore it. I guarantee if you saw the light in person your eyes would pop out.

I wouldn't take delivery of an Audi from the dealer with a big *** door ding. Nope.

My inclination is to ignore it but if you feel the product is unsatisfactory, your recourse is with whoever sold it to you.

the badger

Enlightened
Haven't received it yet but it's coming! I noticed that my other one is the older version and this one above is the newer model. I may sell the older one as your runtime graph has me liking the output increase of the newer LX2.

nbp

Flashaholic

:shrug: You asked what we thought you should do. I told you what I thought. Really, deal with it or return it are the only two options. You don't want to deal with it, leaving return it as the only option. What's the question again?

Viking

Enlightened
Haven't received it yet but it's coming! I noticed that my other one is the older version and this one above is the newer model. I may sell the older one as your runtime graph has me liking the output increase of the newer LX2.

Are there two versions of LX2 ?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated by many, return it or take it up with Surefire. As for me, I wouldn't be too bothere by the fingerprints since it does not affect the beam. I treat my Surefire more like tools than a collector's showpiece. Having said that, I do understand how you felt and I say return it.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was there a version of the LX2 with a reflector? Am I thinking L2?

The L2 did have a reflector but it was more of a predecessor to the LX2. It did have the 2-stage tailcap but the head, body and tailcap were all completely different. Like with the L1, the L2 electronics were packaged inside the body rather than the head, thus increasing its length.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure anymore :p

I figure if I can't get it resolved easily then I'll just give it to the wife :D "Here honey, put this in your purse." Hahha Outta sight outta mind.

Uh oh. Even if she doesn't obsess over stuff like this like we do, you still better hope she doesn't see this thread!

btw advanced members can sometimes get a little irritated if we don't go ahead & make a decision after they give us their advice on an issue- "Really, either deal with it or return it are the only two options", i.e. continued discussion of said matter is NOT one of those options lol! I understand though, you never want to return anything, & npb's is probably the best advice, but that stuff bugs me too even if it doesn't affect the function. No harm in returning it!

nbp

Flashaholic
Uh oh. Even if she doesn't obsess over stuff like this like we do, you still better hope she doesn't see this thread! btw advanced members can sometimes get a little irritated if we don't go ahead & make a decision after they give us their advice on an issue- "Really, either deal with it or return it are the only two options", i.e. continued discussion of said matter is NOT one of those options lol! I understand though, you never want to return anything, & npb's is probably the best advice, but that stuff bugs me too even if it doesn't affect the function. No harm in returning it!

It's not that I think I automatically know what is best for everyone, but I have seen so many of these threads over the years I just think they get a bit dramatic at times. Members sometimes get upset about dust on reflectors or a slightly offcenter emitter or whatever. It's generally accepted that these "flaws" are mostly cosmetic (with rare egregious exceptions) and have little bearing on the function of the light. So while the thread starter feels he has a valid complaint (and they maybe do, everyone has different tolerances) the reality is there is nothing we can do about it. It's a sealed head, not easily opened or corrected even if you wanted. So it just becomes a slam fest toward whatever manufacturer let out a dusty reflector. So yeah, either a person can just roll with a slight imperfection and use the light and enjoy or they can return it if they are not happy with it. That is their right as a consumer. Again, there isn't really a third option. If the third option is in fact to discuss further, then the OP should be open to all ideas, even if some involve keeping a smudgy light. ;) hehe