Help with UV flashlight

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I would like to pick your brains about something...

I recently bought an EagTac D25AAA Mini UV - really nice little torch. The label on the package states '1 Watt Ultraviolet' BUT directly underneath it says '350mW 395nm radiant lux' - see photo below.

Could anyone help me to clarify the following:
1. Is the maximum output 350mW or 1W (1000mW)?
2. Is the LED used an Edison Opto 395nm UV or a different one? Some vendors state this is the LED used but I cannot find it on the Edison website.

I tried contacting EagTac but have received no answer so far!

Thank you!

EagTac.jpg

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, 395nm is deep violet but not UV.
That is not complete correct. 395nm is in the UV-A range. That is the range between ~315 - 400nm. But 395nm has lots of visible violet light as you already mentioned.

Also 395nm is dangerous for the human eye and you should avoid looking into a 395nm light for a longer time, except your aim is using a blind dog in the future.

It depends on the usecase for an UV light. 395nm may be ok for i.e. geo caching or seeing if the hotel room is clean.
But if you are interested on checking (most) security marks on banknotes or your passport than you need 365nm. Most security markings are visible with 365nm.

For a great 365nm light I name the HDS 365nm, but it is a expensive light. But since it has a woods lens there is only a minimum visible light... it is my favorite UV light.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
395nm is just barely UV. It's mostly useful for curing some UV-activated adhesives. There's so much visible purple present that it reduces the contrast between fluorescing and non-fluorescing materials. 365nm is the "classic" black light wavelength and is perfect for fluorescent effects.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just built a Convoy S2+ with a Luminus SST-10 365nm LED. Pretty neat. Looks like a black light

When I was researching I read that the Luminous SST-10 was a good UV LED.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My ac repair buddy uses a Streamlight multi ops light for its 390nm uv light to find freon leaks. The laser pointer feature shows the customer where the issue is and the throwey flashlight is handy for peering into crevices.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it keeps the UV rays into a concentrated beam. You can find size (20mm) on eB, or ask Simon to mail a couple.
Can't hurt to wear some protective eye shades too.

It was too powerful for me. I took it apart. I didn't want my kids getting a hold of it.

It's definitely an interesting LED.

A lot of stuff fluoresced…it was fun while it lasted. We brought it on a trip…I wanted to see what a hotel room looked like. But too much stuff lit up.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adventure Sports has their Maglite C/D 2-6 cells 356nm dropin on sale. Setup in reflector and comes with ZWB2 lens. Not as inexpensive as Convoy but mostly Merican installed in a Mag..

Luminol mixture (hydrogen peroxide) in spray bottle will floresce blood, shows up black under uv light. This is what CSI uses to search for trace blood after crime scenes are improperly cleaned up by the bad guys.

Man, I watch too much FBI shows!

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened
Agreed with all above. 395 nm is NOT uv. 365 nm is what people call uv. 0.35W is not much power. See PL-6U for a 4W version in 365. Very dark. Warms your skin. For industrial applications mostly.

LowFlux

Enlightened
I'm going to Porcupine Mountain state park later this year for a backpacking trip and just acquired a Lumintop Tool AA with Luminus SST-10 365nm LED. My goal is to search for Yooperlites while backpacking the Superior Trail. it came with a GITD cap and a Lumintop AA Li-ion. 2 modes, I'm looking forward to my trip! :cool:(y)

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
1 Watt is the power consumed. 350 mW is the power of the light coming out, which would make it 35% efficient.

BTW, 395nm is deep violet but not UV.
Sorry for my late reply and thank you DoctorMemory for clarifying the 350mW is the UV light output.

Like others have said, 395nm is part of the UV-A spectrum.

Best regards.