Here is something new (that I wish I had invented)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ran across this company that has put together some neat LED lighted display stands (they call them "stages") for displaying glass "objects D'arte", crystal balls and translucent mineral specimens etc.
http://www.kaleidoscope-designs.com

Considering that I used to be in the mineral specimen business, and my company manufactured similar lighted display stands using incandescents, I can't believe that I didn't think of this...

As Homer says: "D'ooh
tongue.gif

Well, at least I've been working on something in a similar vein that will be even neater! (shh... it's a secret)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks silveron. That's right up my alley. I collect mineral egg's and spheres. I will email for prices. The only price I saw on the web page was with a bubble glass sphere for $55. If you don't mind please give me some lines for rock bottom price locations of sphere's/egg's.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also create the same effects inexpensively using the Sauce lightwand, a tallish glass/container, and your favourite crystal ball. Works at our parties...
smile.gif
smile.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoh, first post. Welcome DSpeck. And you already know about the Lightwand. Have you been lurking?
Thanks for that info. I have been thinking about the Lightwand lately(having a Flashaholic attack)breath deeply, maybe it will go away, NOT)). I'll give it a try.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
....please give me some lines for rock bottom price locations of sphere's/egg's.....)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Head over to Tucson, Arizona next month (February 2-17)... The largest Gem, Mineral and Jewelry Show(s) in the world is there with literally ten's of thousands of dealers there.

You can see more spheres and eggs (and all kinds of other rocks, gems and minerals, fossils, meteorites and jewelery) there than you ever dreamed existed. You can get stuff directly from the miners or manufacturers in many cases.

Half the motels & hotels in town are filled with dealers selling out of their rooms, and the other half are filled with buyers. (Bring your sleeping bag; almost impossible to get a room) There are tents and trailers in empty lots full of sellers, and the ball-rooms of many motels are filled too.

Many of the wholesale type shows require registration, requiring a business license / tax certificate to get in, but there are many that do not require registration.

The last weekend of the show (Feb 14 -17 this year) has the main public event at the Convention Center where you can see some of the best and most valuable mineral specimens, fossils and gems in the world, with displays by the great museums and by private collectors. There are also many dealers there too, although prices at this show will usually be pretty high.

It will take a week to see everything- bring your comfortable shoes.

These links will give you more info, although they don't cover it all.
http://www.tucsongemshowguide.com/
http://www.tucsonshowguide.com/tsg/

If the LED light box guys are smart, they'll be there too, and maybe selling at a discount.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case anyone is interested- I picked up one of these things a couple of weeks ago- Not the ones from the website in the first post, but from a friend of mine who has a friend in Japan that makes a similar product.
stage.jpg

Anyone read Japanese? Here is the only information that came with it:
ledstageins.gif

It has a 4 LED array- 2 red, one blue and one green, with a small switch that will move the controller through several modes of single colors, alternating colors, random colors, combinations etc.

It runs on a 9.5V "wall wart" AC/DC adapter

Here is a view of the circuit board (which is held in a black plastic disk about the size of a hockey puck).
http://az123.com/LED/ledstgbrd.jpg

It works pretty nicely with crystals etc, although the neatest thing I have found for it so far is a really cheap glass paperweight with red and yellow spirals in it. I tried to take some pictures of it in operation; they didn't turn out very good, But here is an animated gif that will give you some idea, although the reality is a hundred times better- (wish I has a mpeg camera):
http://az123.com/LED/Animation1sm.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a quick and dirty(?) translation..

"New Electro Fantasy Lamp"

Instructions for Use:
-Just connect the AC adapter to the unit and plug into an AC 100V household outlet, and it will work.
-Have fun placing any item you like on the light-up section.
-Press the 'Mode' switch to stop the light colour changing. You can stop it at your preferred colour. Press the switch again to have it go back to changing colours.

Caution:
-No responsibility taken for accidents relating to disassembly/misuse
-Do not use outside or where it may get wet.
-Do not leave on for extended periods (I think..)
- Use only the AC adapter which is supplied with the unit.

That's basically it.

Graham