Here is what a Flashaholic can get for $2.99

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Waiting in line at the drugstore last night there it was staring me in the face "9 LED Flashlight" $2.99 or 2 for $5.00. Picking up the package I read it was an aluminum body so I couldn't resist and threw it on the counter with my other stuff.

Now I'm not as seasoned as most on this board but I wasn't expecting much Figured I could give it away to a budding flasher in the making as they build their way up to a Flashaholic and hopefully get them enthused enough to join CPF.

Below is a picture.

299lite.jpg

It really is aluminum with decent threads to take it apart. It's made overseas and has one of those 3 AAA battery holsters that slides out of the body then back in after you install the batteries. It's made by a company called Innovage and came in Blue, Silver, Black and red.

I loaded in some fresh alkalines and put it back together. No O rings or anything but it seems to lock up tight with no rattles or clanging around when you shake it.

I pushed in the forward clicky tail cap which was rubber coated and although it was no SF I was impressed with the movement for a $3 light.

Beam was bright but had no discernable center hot spot that I could see. Again no surprise for $3. Fair amount of light and if I had to guess somewhere iin the 40-50 Lumens.

For a throwaway or giveaway light it's great. Can't say I will put it in my top tier but this light would be better than no light at all.

Just thought some of you might be interested.

Bob

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I bought something similar last year. I paid a few dollars for it. 9 or 10 LED, similar body, 3AAA power source. Unfortunately the price says a lot. It was very roughly made, it was in the range of 30-40 lumens, and by the next night a few of the LED's had died. If the power source costs more than the light, then I"d be worried.
I hope you have much better luck than I did.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of these as my first LED flashlight. You can get em at dollarstore, and they are even better than most "NEW NICHIA LED TECHNOLOGY UP TO 10X BRIGHTER" ROV/Energizer lights.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sometimes in life you get what you pay for. Then there are times you get less... a lot less...:mecry:

3rd from the left, my pre-CPF days:green:
dscn9408ht1.jpg

dscn9409qr6.jpg

dscn9410dk9.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
looks like he got it at walgreens. those 3AAA 8-9LED lights are cheap. I can get them at a dollar store now everyone sells them for $5 and under and you cannot use rechargables in them or you burn the leds up. They are good for starter and giveaway lights but soon you will want a luxeon base light.... 40-45 lumens? maybe if the LEDs are screaming to death. more like 20-25 IMO.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Innovage is a brand I've seen at Walgreens and the same with the red and yellow special sticker, but others may use them. The problem with some 3aaa lights is they don't have the needed resistors and over power the leds. i had bought a 2aa incan Innovage (to mod) and was pleasantly suprised to find a forward clicky which worked pretty nicely. I'll definately keep an eye out for these, buy 2 for my little neighbors to borrow and put rechargeables in them in case they don't have resistors. Good find:thumbsup:

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Walgreens is right folks, sorry I should have put that in the OP. It's a giveaway for me I just thought for 3 bucks. Sounds like they are lot of these type around.

Just wanted to give back to the community in case someone had not seen them before.

Thanks for the input

Bob

Fird

Enlightened
with a little modification, shortening the spring in the tailcap or removing material (mine had a plastic disc insert behind the spring), and a pvc insert around the battery, one can fit 18650's in the body :-D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Walgreens is right folks, sorry I should have put that in the OP. It's a giveaway for me I just thought for 3 bucks. Sounds like they are lot of these type around.

Just wanted to give back to the community in case someone had not seen them before.

Thanks for the input

Bob
They higher quality ones that cost $5 or so are not too bad. My roommate has one with nichia LEDs that seems to be decent quality. I have a cheap 8led version that I fried the LEDs in it and ended up putting a resistor in the spring tailcap to reduce it so that it only uses 25ma max on nimh. I put some 26k mcd leds in it also but the threads wore out from changing batteries a lot. I saw one at a ace hardware store with a laser in the middle for about $5 that felt higher quality that usual. I managed to get a few closeouts on luxeon LED 3AAA lights which take a little getting used to the beam but are a lot nicer and no worries about fried LEDs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
$2.99?

You over-paid for it. I love how the pic shows $11.99 as the Suggested retail price.

That light can be found at Dollar Stores for about $1.99.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one from Radio Shack about a year ago that was similar. Mine had what looked to be a 1w luxeon. It wasn't too bad for the price. Makes decent loaner lights.

dmz

Enlightened
Contracted ACU Gray SO-LED
SPECIALOPERATIONS-LIGHT EMITTING DIODE

The ACU SO-LED produces bright white light and is housed in a durable composite case with ON/OFF slide switch and a 6 position rotatable head.

$2.00

http://www.countycomm.com/acusoled.htm