Hi CRI XPL-2 in a Flashlight?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just read there are HI CRI XPL-2 LED's. Are they vaporwear or does anybody actually have one?

Are there any current flashlights that are offered with this led?

Thanks.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree makes high CRI emitters in most of their product lines, including the XP-L2. I don't know if anybody is using them in flashlights yet, though.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Apparently ZL is using the older XPL in one model but does claim HI CRI. HI CRI XPL2 sounds great to me in a small flashlight. I wish they put it in their sc63.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaidomain is selling a few XP-L2 emitters, but they're all either V4 or V6 flux which, I think, would be the 70 or 80 CRI emitters.

http://kaidomain.com/Search/SearchResult.xp-l2

I'd like to see the 90 CRI version myself, although I have low expectations. The construction of the XP-L2 follows along with the changes they made to the XP-G3 (SC5 platform, I think they call it), and those are not very pretty emitters in my experience. Bright as everything, but pretty rough tint/rainbow.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently ZL is using the older XPL in one model but does claim HI CRI. HI CRI XPL2 sounds great to me in a small flashlight. I wish they put it in their sc63.

Yeah, their Googledocs spreadsheet promises a new SC5c Mk II, coming out in 2017, featuring an XPL with CRI of 93-95 and a top end of 400+ lumens. Sounds great, esp. because it says the beam will be Spot + Spill, i.e. not the Floody beam their Hi CRI SC600 PLUS has.

Of course, ZL has not always delivered on every detail of their most ambitious plans in the past....

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The construction of the XP-L2 follows along with the changes they made to the XP-G3 (SC5 platform, I think they call it), and those are not very pretty emitters in my experience. Bright as everything, but pretty rough tint/rainbow.

I don't know the distinctions in detail, but I've wondered as I started to get a grasp of the basic characteristics of Cree's lineup whether the XP-L series has additional tint artifacts in the beam due to the shaved sides on the larger dome needed for the XP-L dies compared to the XP-G dies (basically an XM sized die on an XP sized substrate, if I understand right):

XPG3_med.png
XPL_emitter.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yeah, their Googledocs spreadsheet promises a new SC5c Mk II, coming out in 2017, featuring an XPL with CRI of 93-95 and a top end of 400+ lumens. Sounds great, esp. because it says the beam will be Spot + Spill, i.e. not the Floody beam their Hi CRI SC600 PLUS has.

Of course, ZL has not always delivered on every detail of their most ambitious plans in the past....
Yes the tint of their 5000k hi cri frosted light is unacceptable for my use.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the tint of their 5000k hi cri frosted light is unacceptable for my use.

I still have not held the celebrated/notorious SC600 Mk III PLUS HI CRI light, so I don't know what the 5000k temp looks like. In general, I do tend to prefer lights on the warmer side, so I'm pretty sure that I'll like the 4000k SC5c better than I would like a 5000k tint.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree makes high CRI emitters in most of their product lines, including the XP-L2. I don't know if anybody is using them in flashlights yet, though.

Cree has made these high CRI emitters for quite some time. But they have not seen much use in flashlights. I'm not entirely sure why this is. But it is likely that they are not used because of the preference on the part of manufacturers for higher lumens vs better tint.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Hi CRI Cree L2 EasyWhites used in the ZL H600fd and H600fc III HIs for the 5k and 4K tints respectively.
Best floody beam profile and tints I've ever used and perfect for an area work light IMHO. Would love to see more lights with this emitter.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CRI Cree L2 EasyWhites used in the ZL H600fd and H600fc III HIs for the 5k and 4K tints respectively.
Best floody beam profile and tints I've ever used and perfect for an area work light IMHO. Would love to see more lights with this emitter.

You're not wrong. My H600fd is probably my favorite headlamp. Its great. However, that light uses the XM-L2 Easywhite, not the XP. The XM-L2 Easywhite is a multi-die emitter, like a tiny XHP, and achieves its high CRI by blending 4 "normal" emitters so that the strengths of one make up for deficiencies in the other. Its a good setup, but it does produce a funky beam. That's why those Zebras are only available with frosted lenses.

The goal for this light, with its XP-class emitter and clear glass, would seem to be more output and a more focused beam. XM-L2 Easywhite would be a bad choice for that goal.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
You're not wrong. My H600fd is probably my favorite headlamp. Its great. However, that light uses the XM-L2 Easywhite, not the XP. The XM-L2 Easywhite is a multi-die emitter, like a tiny XHP, and achieves its high CRI by blending 4 "normal" emitters so that the strengths of one make up for deficiencies in the other. Its a good setup, but it does produce a funky beam. That's why those Zebras are only available with frosted lenses.

The goal for this light, with its XP-class emitter and clear glass, would seem to be more output and a more focused beam. XM-L2 Easywhite would be a bad choice for that goal.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Still learning, and would be all over this option.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I still have not held the celebrated/notorious SC600 Mk III PLUS HI CRI light, so I don't know what the 5000k temp looks like. In general, I do tend to prefer lights on the warmer side, so I'm pretty sure that I'll like the 4000k SC5c better than I would like a 5000k tint.
I actually like 5000k but not with a yellow or green tint.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree has made these high CRI emitters for quite some time. But they have not seen much use in flashlights. I'm not entirely sure why this is. But it is likely that they are not used because of the preference on the part of manufacturers for higher lumens vs better tint.

I'm sure you're right about lumens being the preference. More light sounds better to most customers, just like more megapixels sounds better to most camera buyers. I'd bet also that demand for better than fluorescent quality for fixed lighting also consumes a lot of the higher CRI output from LED manufacturers, and lower volume customers like flashlight manufacturers end up paying a premium to get what's left.

recDNA

Flashaholic
it's too bad. There was a time we had to choose between lumens and color rendering. Now it's possible to have both but manufacturers aren't interested.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other thing is that the LED manufacturers only sell in reel lots. I don't know how many emitters come on a reel, but I know that it's n-1 more than I need. So any modders like Vinh or resellers like Mtn Electronics have to find someone who has the wherewithal to purchase a reel's worth and then resell it. I would think that that person would more than likely wait until they were assured of selling most if not all of the reel before they would actually purchase it, so as not to get caught with a lot of unsold inventory if tastes change on them.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory uses the XP-L W2 in their LED drop ins. One has the option of neutral white or 90+ CRI.

Yeah $58. Where did they get these w2 leds? I cannot find w2s anywhere. I did not want to drop in, just the star or the LED

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other thing is that the LED manufacturers only sell in reel lots. I don't know how many emitters come on a reel, but I know that it's n-1 more than I need. So any modders like Vinh or resellers like Mtn Electronics have to find someone who has the wherewithal to purchase a reel's worth and then resell it. I would think that that person would more than likely wait until they were assured of selling most if not all of the reel before they would actually purchase it, so as not to get caught with a lot of unsold inventory if tastes change on them.
I think I read that either Cree or Nichia sell a reel of 1000.