Curly

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the wrong place for this...

Need some help here...

Setup:
Cree LED P4 lets say
Power source - car battery
Not a flashlight

I have a project up my sleeve but I would like 3 settings. Does anyone know of a good regulator for this, and how to get the three modes?

The alternate power source would be 18650. I don't particularly want to use a flashlight circuit board because of the mounting logistics.

Much appreciated!!

linterno

Enlightened
DX 7882 driver could be a good option for you. It has 3 group. One group is low-mid-high not high-mid-low.

I don't have a lux meter but with 2 or 3 eneloop I see no difference in output in a mag 2D I modified using this driver and a SSC P4 USWOx led, so I guess it is well regulated.

If you are going to use it with 18650 and you don't want to overdischarge your battery then you could use DX 7612 driver (linear current regulated). You will notice dimming when the battery is almost empty. This driver has the same groups than 7882 (at least in the ones I have used).

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merry Christmas. Notice the OP mentioned using a car battery, so we will assume he is talking at least 13 volts. I am afraid those suggestion won't work in a stock configuration.

DX does have some drop ins at that voltage range, sku 11836, 11621, 6090. But they are all single mode. There is the Kennan driver as well, again single mode though. I can't think of any 3 mode 13+ V budget drivers off the top of my head, but you should check out the driver thread. It can be found in the sticky right at the top.

There should be other options not so budget orientated as well from Taskled or The Sandwich Shoppe. Very nice drivers also availible from www.ledsupply.com I won't point you towards anything specific but have a look around and if you can't find what you need reply to this post.

Curly

Newly Enlightened
LED Supply definitely looks like the place for drivers. Thanks for the reference! I guess three modes be be tough through them, but with the nice drivers they supply I don't think it matters. One nice thing is they have dimmable drivers.

So now it's on to choosing the LEDs and optics.