High CRI Clicky

Lumenz

Enlightened
I am looking to get a high CRI clicky light for my girlfriend but it has been a while since I have checked out new flashlights so hopefully you will have some ideas for me to check out.

Here are her requirements: high CRI, clicky interface, single mode or easy to get to a medium mode (i.e. 30-80 lumens, give or take) She does not want to have to click more than once, hold the button down, et cetera, and she does not like twisties.

Battery chemistry does not matter that much since I have AAA, AA, CR123 and 18650. She likes the CR123 size. Right now, she is using my HDS Clicky but the light has been malfunctioning (randomly turning off) for a while and she is done with it. I have another Clicky that I gave her to use but she doesn't trust the brand anymore.

Any ideas?

Edit: Price below $100.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Maybe some BLF-348s? High CRI, single mode clicky and 6.99 a pop. :naughty:

Literally opened the thread with this in mind! :p
But really, it is small, simple, and steel at a low price point.

The Eagletac D25 series lights with a Nichia are solid options in your choice of battery- D25C is the CR123A version.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
L3 Illumination L11C - the 3-mode Nichia 219B version...Runs on one AA.. Click once and then light tap for Medium mode (30 lumens)... Excellent beam profile.... Runs about $35 if I recall correctly (3 different color options to choose from)...

cclin

Newly Enlightened
AAA
LUMINTOP Copper or Tool Ti Nichia- Clicky, always start on medium mode

18350 (only slightly thicker than CR123 size)
Manker E14/Astrolux S41 Nichia- Clicky, memory can be programmed any mode you like.

Lumenz

Enlightened
These are some great suggestions. Thank you. I am going to have to go over them with her.

Have you considered sending your Clicky back to Henry for a look-see?

The light that is having trouble went back to Henry once already. I will probably send it back again but I have three of his lights and two of them have had this issue and I don't trust them for anything other than bedside lights anymore.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, she is using my HDS Clicky but the light has been malfunctioning (randomly turning off) for a while and she is done with it. I have another Clicky that I gave her to use but she doesn't trust the brand anymore.
Huh, and here I was getting ready to recommend HDS.

I wonder why it's randomly shutting off? HDS is one of the most reliable brands on the market, so if she can't trust HDS then there really isn't much that she can trust. I would contact Henry since all of his lights are guaranteed for life, and he'll get you squared away.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light that is having trouble went back to Henry once already. I will probably send it back again but I have three of his lights and two of them have had this issue and I don't trust them for anything other than bedside lights anymore.
That's really odd. Are you sure it's not a problem with the batteries you're using?

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
D25C Ti with N219. I personally only own the A versions, but understand the C has a programmable mode memory option for GF's single click requirement. Not really designed for 16340s though (no buck driver)... it'll take them, but modes will shift around.

Not surprised about the HDS, I read/know a few folks that have been back for repairs multiple times - the important thing is that Henry will take care of you, and we should all carry a back up.

Although I love my HDS, it is after all easily the most electronically complex light I own. Don't care if it's potted/built like a tank, the more electronic complexity and circuitry, the greater chance of component failure.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the BLF 348. What I really like about it after the high CRI is that the beam is really smooth all the way across. There really is no discernible hot spot, just nice even luscious 90+ CRI goodness in warm white. And the build is exceptional, especially for the price. [And if you spend an additional dollar, you can get a nice gift box as well]

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA LUMINTOP Copper Tool… always start on medium mode

X2

The Copper Tool is a personal favorite. I like that Copper is germicidal, but some people dislike the smell it leaves on skin.

The TiTool is also very nice, the switch is flush so it can tailstand, and the Titanium does not smell nor tarnish like copper does.

Both meet the OP requirement for direct access to medium with a single click.

my HDS Clicky but the light has been malfunctioning (randomly turning off)

I cant resist asking.. does it do that on a fresh battery, or is it simply the result of using a battery that is drained? Have you checked battery voltage to verify it is still strong?

Not to say you do this, but some newbies will let a light "rest" when it turns itself off, and instead of putting in a new battery, will keep trying to fire the drained battery, which will work briefly after resting, and then shut off again…. If you have 3 lights that turn off, it could be an operator that does not realize that batteries rebound during rest, only to fail again and again upon use.

left to right, Maratac, TiTool, Copper Tool, L11c
IMG_2466.JPG

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I love my HDS, it is after all easily the most electronically complex light I own. Don't care if it's potted/built like a tank, the more electronic complexity and circuitry, the greater chance of component failure.
In theory, yes, assuming all other things are equal. In actual practice, no. Modern electronic components are inherently extremely reliable, and straight up failure of an HDS light is rare to the point that I've never heard of it happening.

Drift Monkey

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the BLF 348. What I really like about it after the high CRI is that the beam is really smooth all the way across. There really is no discernible hot spot, just nice even luscious 90+ CRI goodness in warm white. And the build is exceptional, especially for the price. [And if you spend an additional dollar, you can get a nice gift box as well]
It's actually a dollar cheaper with the gift box right now. I have 2 on the way! :thumbsup:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
In theory, yes, assuming all other things are equal. In actual practice, no. Modern electronic components are inherently extremely reliable, and straight up failure of an HDS light is rare to the point that I've never heard of it happening.

Hmmmm interesting... would this and this count (just based on a quick search)?

Lumenz

Enlightened
Which models, if I may ask? Or more accurately, lumen output/emitter?

The first one I had a problem with was the HD 140 and the other was the HD 170. I don't recall the emitters used in them though. The 140 was sent back and fixed and started acting up again so I stuck it in a drawer and just used the 170. Now the 170 is having problems.

That's really odd. Are sure it's not a problem with the batteries you're using?

The first thing I did was change the battery. I buy Panasonic CR123A's and I use a battery tester on them every 6 months. I use the batteries for my home alarm system so I go through a lot of them.

I haven't cleaned the battery contacts on the Clicky yet so that could be part of the problem. I will do that before contacting Henry.

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
Hmmmm interesting... would this and this count (just based on a quick search)?

My HDS 140 failed completely. It would no longer turn on at all. Henry said it was a problem with a capacitor that affected some of the lights. Sent it to him and he fixed it. Now the problem with the 140 is that sometimes it won't turn on. I have to remove the battery and put it back in to get it to work. A few times, I couldn't get it to turn off. Thinking about it now, maybe the clicky mechanism is falling.

The 170 just shuts of randomly (sometimes even after 30 seconds) and it won't turn back on unless I remove the battery. Fresh batteries don't help. But I will deal with Henry about that problem. I still need to give the HDS lights a good cleaning before I start crying to Henry. My Zebralights have gotten all of my attention lately.

Although I don't trust the HDS lights anymore, I have full confidence in the Zebralights.

Lumenz

Enlightened
Maybe some BLF-348s? High CRI, single mode clicky and 6.99 a pop. :naughty:

Good suggestion. She even liked the look of it but Gearbest is out of stock.

Literally opened the thread with this in mind! :p
But really, it is small, simple, and steel at a low price point.

The Eagletac D25 series lights with a Nichia are solid options in your choice of battery- D25C is the CR123A version.

This may be a good choice because of the mode memory. She just wants to click it on and click it off.

L3 Illumination L11C - the 3-mode Nichia 219B version...Runs on one AA.. Click once and then light tap for Medium mode (30 lumens)... Excellent beam profile.... Runs about $35 if I recall correctly (3 different color options to choose from)...

Unfortunately, she does not want the hassle of having to click multiple times to get her mode. If she is using one of my Zebralights, she will hand it to me if she needs the mode changed.