High intensity glow sticks

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other day I saw some of the 30 minute high intensity glowsticks at a store here, so I got a couple to see how bright they were.

I tried one, and was quite impressed - it was probably about 3 times as bright as a normal 8 hour glowstick, easily enough to guide yourself around at night, even to read by. The brightness went down very gradually, but it still appeared very bright after about 40 minutes. After about 1.5hrs, it was down to regular glowstick brightness, and I think lasted about another 2 hours after that.

Pretty nice. Has anyone seen these high intensity glowsticks in colours other than yellow? That's the only colour I've seen so far.

Also got some of the little 2inch ones. Haven't tried them yet though..

Graham

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used those 30min. ones, altho mine are orange. BTW-have you tried the 5 minute emergency orange ones?..If you should happen to get some of those, before you activate one, put it in some hot water for 2-3 minutes..Now we're talking really bright.
shocked.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Cyalume link, Don.

I'd like to see some of those red or white 30 minute ones - I'll have to look further and see if anywhere sells them here. No 5 minute ones here either.

Doug, regarding the hot water trick, would that work with regular ones? Might be interesting to try..

Do the 5 minute ones give off light at normal glowstick levels for some time after the initial burst, like the 30 minute one I tried?

Graham

Darell

Flashaholic
Jeez, Don... what is *that*?

Who here thought that cows needed light guidance to assist them in romance? Come on - raise your hands now.

Just when you thought you knew it all...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:

Doug, regarding the hot water trick, would that work with regular ones? Might be interesting to try..

Do the 5 minute ones give off light at normal glowstick levels for some time after the initial burst, like the 30 minute one I tried?
Graham
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup-the water trick works on all of 'em, and the 5 minute stick glowed about like an 8 hour stick for an additional 15 minutes or so...

BTW-you might want to experiment with the "spent" sticks B/4 throwing them away, as some types will still glow some after exposure to UV light.
cool.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the Japanese website for Omniglow; will have to see if I can find a retailer who sells some of the more interesting ones.

Also have to try Dougs heating tip and see if I can turbo-charge my glowsticks!

Graham

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoffchan:
and if you freeze the sticks, they will stop glowing until you warm them up again.

Geoff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a trick I was gonna mention... I tend to use the red ones and they will easily run for two nights if you put them in your ice chest during the day (between uses).