High output GU24-base LED bulbs?

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
I have a new ceiling fan which employs a pair of GU24-base CFL's. They're not bright enough. I see Feit makes a GU24 version of their 800lm LED. Is there any other choice I should consider with higher output in this size and shape?

I already own some standard base Feit 800lm's, and I have been happy with them.

Thanks...

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
This is a glass dome fixture under a ceiling fan. It uses GU24 bulbs because they're shorter. There's not room for stacked adapters.

AB325A30-519E-47A9-B8D4-1CBA644D5B12-5814-0000074C42EB6760_zps3b95d3ed.jpg

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
Huh? That would look terrible! I just replaced a fan that had four glass-shade bulb sockets because it looked terrible. The fixture is completely open on the top side of the dome. It's not able to "pool heat."

So there's no second source of GU24 bulbs with more than 800lm output?

brickbat

Enlightened
GU24? Blech. Isn't that a California thing? Personally, I'd tear those sockets out and replace them with good ol' E26 ones... And while I was at it, I'd put in 4 of them if I wanted more light.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
GU24? Blech. Isn't that a California thing? Personally, I'd tear those sockets out and replace them with good ol' E26 ones... And while I was at it, I'd put in 4 of them if I wanted more light.

There's not room for a pair of E26 bulbs in this fixture, without re-fabricating the brackets that hold the sockets.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the output of the stock CFLs? and length

There could be room for regular E26/27 base bulbs + adapter (which is pretty short), because your CFLs have the old style tube that goes forward, then makes the transition into the spiral.

wws944

Enlightened
GU24? Blech. Isn't that a California thing?

Yep. Yet another way the State tries to herd us citizens into their way of thinking.

Personally, I'd tear those sockets out and replace them with good ol' E26 ones... And while I was at it, I'd put in 4 of them if I wanted more light.

The adapters are all over ebay and elsewhere. They really don't add much to the length of the bulb.

That said, my patio lights use GU24 CFLs. The Feit BPESL 23TM/GU24 (2700K, 23w, 1600 lumen, 90 CRI) is a decent choice. It is about 4" long, so should fit wherever a A19 would fit. The other ones I have are the MaxLite MLS26GU (2700K, 26w, 1650 lumen, 84 CRI). These are a bit bigger than the Feit at about 4.5" long.

As these CFLs burn out, I will be switching to adapters with LED bulbs. More light with less power. Also the GU24 versions of the CFLs are a lot more expensive than the Edison versions - which further makes the case for LED.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
CFL's are too slow to come on fully. I need bright, right away. Maybe I will fab my own mounting hardware to stuff a pair of dimmable 1600lm LED's in there. :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Amazon sells GU24-to-E26 adapters, use those and whichever bulbs you please.

For future reference: I ran across a pile of these in the Amazon warehouse - they are not UL approved or listed, but otherwise look like any other bulb adapter in the bins of your local hardware store. Not for unattended/overnight use, but would work fine in any other application.

tomas21

Newly Enlightened
Is there a UL approved GU24 to E26/27 model that people have had success with for an LED replacement? These GU24 CFL's in the hunter fans are poor.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
While researching bulbs today I saw that Green Creative is selling GU24 LED bulbs in regular and high CRI variants. No adapter needed.