High Power LED as bicycle headlight

RodneyHaas

Newly Enlightened
I currently run two of the 200 Lumen Ultafires flashlights. One on my helmet and one on the bike. I have a trail rat next to the one mounted on the bike. It will soon be night riding season again here in Texas, so I am looking at more power.

I was thinking of buying one of the 800 Lumen WF-800 lights. So the questions are:

1) How long is the battery life. I would purchase a few extra rechargable batteries for this. In nomrally go out two to three hours at night.
2) Is this going to be to brite? As in actually blind car drivers?
3) Would I be better off with say a 500 Lumen?

I am looking for a good mix. It seems like the 200 setup is not quite brite enough, or maybe it's just the beam throw is kinda wimpy.

pe2er

Enlightened
I was thinking of buying one of the 800 Lumen WF-800 lights. So the questions are:

1) How long is the battery life. I would purchase a few extra rechargable batteries for this. In nomrally go out two to three hours at night.
2) Is this going to be to brite? As in actually blind car drivers?
3) Would I be better off with say a 500 Lumen?
I Have some experience with this MTE SSC P7 '900' lumen light on my bicycle. I Get approximately 1 hour of light out of a 18650 battery. How this compares to your WF-800, i'm not sure.

I Can tell you that I do like the amount of light this P7 lamp puts out. Mounted on my handlebar and aimed low, it does not blind other people on the road. At least, not that I noticed :D

So my answer to you question 3 would be NO. Get a 900 Lumen light! However, I do not see how the WF-800 could produce 800 Lumen from its 3W Cree emitter. According to one of the entries on the Dealextreme forum, this light produces only 220 Lumens:candle:

mikeh

Newly Enlightened
2) Is this going to be to brite(sic)? As in actually blind car drivers?

That depends on your beam. A single regular cree can dazzle a driver if you hit him in the eyes with a tight spot.

I use these for the low-beam LEDs on my bike:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1918
sku_1918_1.jpg

They sit on top of the cree - e.g. glued to the star-mount.

As well as regular optics for the spotlights.

javiole

Newly Enlightened
900 lumens, you will blind cars, people, rabits, frogs!! be careful if you blind a police car, they will stop you!! on the Surrey country lanes with a ssc p7 driven at 3amps with a 30mm deep reflector (3 18650 parallel battery pack), and the cars where stopping at a side of the road, thinking what the hell is coming over. Solution.... a toggle swith to control a 3 amc7135 board. Position-1-left, 1amp, position-2-centre,off,position-3-right, 3amps. Even with 1amp, a ssc p7 gives a good amount of light. Now, it works great and I only blind those cars who blind me too (it happens very often when riding with my old vega light). Really, it is like driving a car on de dark lanes. Impressive. With the three 18650, I get about 2.30 to 3 hours full beam. I have done up to 4 hours and never run out of battery, since I never use the full beam for long.

I carry another ssc p7 direct driving torch with one 18650 on my helmet (a very small one,very light and nice form factor, that used to have a Q2, one 18650. It reminds me the exposure jostick, but 3 times more power and 1/5 of the price). I switch it on only when a fast descent ahead. Nice to see the end of the curves. Other than that, it is redundant.

It is a pleasure to train at night now. In fact, the best time, if it is not vey cold, is after 8pm, when the roads are clear of cars and you can switch on the full power of the P7. now, try to explain this to your wife!!! I use the lights for mountain biking too.... to be honest, I don't see the point of getting more than that, it is not needed. I've withdrawed all the thoughts about making a tri or quad p7-mc-e light as some other users here.

I hope this help

Last edited:

BillyNoMates

Newly Enlightened
.... to be honest, I don't see the point of getting more than that, it is not needed. I've withdrawed all the thoughts about making a tri or quad p7-mc-e light as some other users here.

I hope this help

There were a couple of fog patches on the way home last night and my 9xRebel was indeed too bright - couldn't see anything due to the glare from the fog. I still left it on full - for some reason I was feelling rather self satisified....(sad, I know).

Not sure I would stop at a single MC-E - there is always temptation to get more light, not to blind other road users but just to get a little bit more throw or flood....