High reflective tape and/or leg bands for a hiking pack?

sidpost

Newly Enlightened
http://www.amphipod.com/401-402/401.html

This link got me started thinking about night safety. I think I may pick one of these up for my car. Changing a flat at night and similar tasks could really use this type of vest for improved safety.

Last night I was walking with my pack. At about 45 minutes away from my destination it got really dark. I was a good thirty feet from the roadway so, I was not overly concerned with getting hit by debris falling from cars and trucks or just the errant beer bottle thrown by a drunk driver. However, I would like to add some highly reflective tape or straps to the back of my pack.

Where do I look for such a thing? I don't want some piece of Wal-Mart crap that will fall apart the first time I put my pack down, sweat on it, it gets rained on, etc.

While I'm on the subject, where would I find some tape that will permanently stick to a trailer and be highly reflective? Do I need to look at some specialized paint?

Thanks!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

For your trailer, I'd look at an auto parts store - they have reflective tape. For your pack, I'm not sure that same auto tape will work; it tends to crack with time.

I'm currently using some adhesive reflective tape that I bought at a local outdoor hardware store (www.therainshed.com). It is very reflective, it sticks extremely well (it's gone through the winter so far with no signs of detaching or fading), but it's not cheap. Regardless, I value my safety more than money, so I used this tape on my gore-tex pants, jacket, and also put some small strips (left overs, really :)) on my pack.

If what I'm talking about is not on available that website, drop me a PM or e-mail; I will inquire at the store about prices and can buy some for you. Now that I think about it, I should get some more... :thinking:

Before I forget, a couple of days ago, someone asked about reflective vests for running at night, and one of the people replying posted a link to a consumer reports review on reflective vests. Time to make friends with the search function ;)

CLHC

Flashaholic
I think Nite-Ize makes a reflective type of flashing band. Don't know how well it works though.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also want to look at Illuminite products.

My experience in walking at night with both reflective and/or flashing lights is that you will not be seen until to late. "We didn't see you until we saw the white of your legs" was what I heard.
I stopped the reflective stuff and flashing lights and crossed the street when a car approached. In the rare case of two coming from opposite directions I moved to the wideer side of the road. I have also found that turning a light on geets their attention.

As for changing a tire, it's very dangerous, period. Most people that are on roads at night even with big red trucks that flash a lot know this. Most places call for flares or reflectors set up starting at a speed limit dependant distance from the scene.

A few months ago I realized that the STOP on our reflective signs means
Steer Towards Our Patient and SLOW means Simply Look Other Way.

sidpost

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
Time to make friends with the search function ;)

I started with reading the runner's post below which took me to consumer reports. I subscribe to that magazine but, I don't remember that article. I don't run but, found the information about running on streets and such useful especially with regards to traffic and stress fractures on asphalt and concrete.

That started the wheels in my mind turning, especially after walking in the dark a few days ago.

And THANKS! I really do appreciate the help, advice, and putting up with Newbie's like myself.

benh

Newly Enlightened
Galls (http://www.galls.com/) sells highly reflective tape in a variety of widths, colors and types. I bought some black reflective tape for my black bike and it gives it a nice stealth look in the daytime, but lights up bright white in night light.

I'm currently testing a GloToob FX in red as a supplementary be seen light hanging off my messenger bag, and I think I like it, but I'm not sure it's enough by itself. Planet Bike makes a Blinky 5 tail light that is really really bright, bright enough to be useful in the daytime even.

They also used to make a reflective and blinky leg strap called the BRT-Strap, but nobody seems to carry them anymore, so I think they quit making them. If you find one somewhere grab it. They're pretty nice.

Basically, there's no such thing as being too well lit at night. I'm currently running a rear blinky, a blinky+reflective leg strap, reflective tape on my rear stays, head tube, seat tube (all around) and down tube (all around), another blinky on my bag, one on my helmet, a front blinky headlight and a Princeton Tec EOS on my helmet. I look like a circus, I'm sure, but I'm visible as can be.

If weight's not an issue, there's a company out there making amber xenon strobes that'll run off of 12vdc that would be perfect for your trailer.

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
i have seen iron one reflective tape.

btw 28-30 dollars for a reflective vest! pricy... I got a simple disign that has lots of 3m reflective tape on it, for a lot less

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mike_Painter, in that Consumer Reports review, the Illuminite products did not work as advertised (they were visible only when directly hit by the headlights, and even then they weren't as reflective as the Amphipod product). I had been a huge fan of their products before reading this.

After almost being hit by a car while riding my bike (and you can imagine, being a flashaholic, I have "one or two" lighting devices on my bike :crazy: ) I realized you cannot have enough lighting/ reflective devices on your bike/self.

PeterW

Enlightened
I got some 3M scotchlite reflective tape from http://www.flighthelmet.com/. Pretty good value, the adhesive seems good (though I have stuck mine to a piece of plastin in my wallet, so cloth adhesion may be worse).

You can buy iron-on 'reflexite' material (e.g.http://www.teamestrogen.com/).

I keep a bit in my wallet and an EDC light too, in case I get caught out where there are cars and no street lights, I learnt from a damp experience when all I had was a bit of white paper to stop the cars biting me!

Hope this helps

PEterW

tygger

Enlightened
i use refective tape on my 2 dogs collars, harnesses, and leashes and so far i've been most impressed with 3M Solas and the High Intensity reflective tape from Identi-tape.com. of course the 3M Solas tape is the most reflective of anything i've used and sticks extremely well to anything, almost too well. i've found that the Solas tape is best used on flexible material like clothing or when applied to something thats somewhat protected from harsh scraping (it doesn't tolerate abrasion very well) so i usually use that on the collars and harness material. the High Intensity reflective tape is almost as bright but can take a bit more punishment (more abrasion resistant) and is more easily removed than the Solas tape. i'm real pleased with both of them, makes my dogs pretty easy to see even with minimal light. hope that helps.

vic303

Enlightened
Blinky red lights will be seen better than solid red. The human eye picks up the flashing better than steady red.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I've got quite a bit of the sew on type reflective material. Same stuff they put on firemen's uniforms for high visibility. You can attach it to clothing with safety pins or sew it on. It can also be wrapped around object to provide a more temporary solution. PM me if you'd like some. Let me know how much (feet, meters) you would like as well.

Safety1st

Enlightened
This is a very useful thread...

In my job as a Road Policing Officer (UK equivalent to Highway Patrol), i've attended many fatal accidents where a pedestrian and often one from a stranded vehicle has been hit by passing traffic that didn't see them...

It's easy and inexpensive to carry a hi-viz garment in your vehicle....and if you only use it once in 50 years and it saves your life......it was worth it..

dfred

Enlightened
Safety1st said:
It's easy and inexpensive to carry a hi-viz garment in your vehicle....and if you only use it once in 50 years and it saves your life......it was worth it..

I've carried a yellow/reflective mesh vest of one sort or another in my car for a while. Definitely a good idea. I also use it when walking or clearing my driveway of snow at night, activities which take me near or even briefly onto the road.

I like the Amphipod reflective devices. A few weeks ago I bought one of these things. It by far best design for a reflecting "vest" I've used. A bit minimalist, but extremely adjustable, stays put and doesn't bunch-up when walking, shoveling, running, etc... Plus this model has a small pocket in the center of the chest section for ID, lip balm, an extra flashlight, etc.