Hiking trail in China (neat pictures of some crazy people)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Probably better to do it at night when you can't see all the way down. :eek:oo: :eek:

I might consider doing it but don't know if I'd back out halfway through. I was on the roof observatory of the World Trade Center twice and while the height didn't scare me, it's not someplace I'd want to be with only a plank under me and a chain to hold on to. The only thing which might make this hike less frightening is the fact that, unlike the top of the WTC, there is very little to give a sense of scale. I suppose I could pretend the trees 2000 feet under me are lichen covering a small boulder near my feet.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I would be willing to hang out around the bottom (in case any flashlights were still intact after the fall) if that helps.
Topper

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Group hike?

Sure, boot it up! Has to be at night though. Bring the pocket rockets.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took Legend 2AA with me. A little foggy at that morning.
In 1993, there was no cable car yet. I started to hike at 0:00 till 6:00am to reach the peak. My blood pressure did go up to hold that pose.

Wai1.jpg

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
holy .......!!! i've hiked lots of dangerous ridges with no ropes but thats INSANE! my stomach dropped looking at the pictures. but something weird inside of me really wants to hike that trail! what a story that would be. wow.

Arkayne

Enlightened
Jeebus! I'd harness up and clip on to that chain as I walked along. Do those planks even get touched by a maintenance crew of some sort? Or do they repair 'em as people fall through them. scaaaary!

WNG

Enlightened
OMG!!
Gives a whole new meaning to walking the plank.

I hate to admit it, but that woman in the baseball cap has bigger balls than I do.
:0

I hung myself off the edges of the Grand Canyon last year, and the drops were 1000-3000 ft down, but in no way does it invoke fright like these shear vertical walls.

What's the name of this place?? It's amazing!

Marlite

Enlightened
Hi Arkayne

My thought following your mention of "a maintenance crew" made me ponder the hauling materials and construction of the "trail" in the first instance.

Hey Download

My blood pressure rose, with your behind the leg "pose" and how did you dare, to climb in the fog with a flashlight, on boards that were potentially slippery. The 2nd time I ran through the set, it seemed even more dangerous, the third I knew it was impossible!

marlite

tygger

Enlightened
WNG said:
OMG!!

What's the name of this place?? It's amazing!

i think its called Mt. Huashan. one of the 5 sacred mountains. from what i can tell i think there's a modern tram that can take you to the top. the chain trail is for adventurers i think. there may be a spiritual aspect to the treacherous route as well because there's a Taoist monastery at the top. pretty cool. i still wanna climb it. i agree with arkayne though, i'd clip up to that chain somehow. but yeah, that lady does have some major cahunas.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/mt_huashan.htm

Haz

Enlightened
just looking at the pics made my knees weak. I don't know if i can trust those planks and chains.

I believe the padlocks are placed there by the visitors, who want to leave a marker behind to show they have been there.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Wow, just wow. :faint:

Haz said:
I believe the padlocks are placed there by the visitors, who want to leave a marker behind to show they have been there.

Ohh, I thought they were there to give you something extra to grab on to, if you were gonna fall! I wonder how many people "haven't" made it to the top.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want very badly to go hit this trail with my Sony R1 around my neck... Very badly.

greenLED

Flashaholic
tygger said:
there may be a spiritual aspect to the treacherous route as well because there's a Taoist monastery at the top. pretty cool.
Can you imagine what it took to build that trail, and the monastery on top! :faint: Determined people can achieve so much.