Holley RetroBright headlamps? Good, bad or ugly?

Wurkkos

ameli0rate

Newly Enlightened
I found these;
holley.com/products/exterior/lighting/headlight/rectangular_headlights/parts/LFRB120

This line concerns me - "Holley worked closely with Morimoto". I've read nothing but bad stuff about Morimoto for years, so I am guessing that Holley is aligning themselves with cheap Chinese junk to make money because there's no enforcement in these matters?

Then there is "produces 32,000 Candela for low beam, and 53,000 Candela for high beam, which is nearly three times more light output than your original headlights" - can one make three times the light output and still be within FMVSS 108 limits? I thought it defined limits to these things (but I'm no pro, so I don't know).

Is there a slight possibility that these are worth trying or are my instincts correct that these sound gimmicky?

-Virgil-

Staff member
I've read nothing but bad stuff about Morimoto for years

The Morimoto brand has been making big strides toward fielding respectable products. That's been mentioned and discussed here on this board before, for a while now.

Then there is "produces 32,000 Candela for low beam, and 53,000 Candela for high beam, which is nearly three times more light output than your original headlights"

I don't have test data, but these numbers are at least believable for peak intensity (hot spot) on low and high beam.

can one make three times the light output and still be within FMVSS 108 limits?

Easily, yes. Beam patterns are defined by test points at various angles. Some test points have a minimum intensity requirement, some have a maximum intensity limit, and some have both a minimum and a maximum.

Is there a slight possibility that these are worth trying

My early pre-vote is that they probably are quite a bit better than a lot of the "LED headlamps" in sealed beam sizes that are already on the market. Whether they're worth trying depends upon what your wants and needs are.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Then there is "produces 32,000 Candela for low beam, and 53,000 Candela for high beam, which is nearly three times more light output than your original headlights" - can one make three times the light output and still be within FMVSS 108 limits? I thought it defined limits to these things (but I'm no pro, so I don't know).

To be fair "the three times the output" is compared to the stock halogen lights, so yeah it can be that much brighter and still be within the limits.