Hopeful of repair!!!

68 charger

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, it's been a long time since I have been on here....I need help:sigh: I have a Techlasers "Titan" 350mw fan cooled green laser. I've had it for about a year now and it's(was) simply an amazing laser. Unfortunately....I had a battery leak......fresh d cells....one sprung a leak....really messed up the inside of the case...so.....I tear it down(been around electronics for years) manage to get the assembly completely apart and test driver/diode...Wheew...still works....intill I drop the "Head" unit(where the diode/crystal array are) and it pulls the wires to the diode loose. OK...so I can replace the diode but.....There are 3 wires.... 2 red and 1 black, the black is thick and insulated from the case(case is positive) and goes to the flat wire on the diode, and the 2 red ones are much smaller and seem to go nowhere and attach to the case?:shrug: On the aluminum "Disc" that the diode is mounted to, the black(neg) is insulated from the disc but soldered to the flat wire/tang on the diode, the diode casing itself(c mount) is screwed to the aluminum disc/mounting plate and the solder connections on the back of the Disc has a zener diode between the thick black negative, and the disc/case positive! What the heck is going on here? This unit has adjustable power to the diode via a small potentiometer accessable thru the case next to the on switch.....if that has anything to do with the wiring I don't understand.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me? any wiring diagram/references to c mount diodes? any help would be greatly appreciated!

68 charger

Newly Enlightened
Picture is worth 1000 words... ;)

Point well taken:laughing: The thick black wire(1) was soldered to it's corrisponding number on the head mounting plate, this wire is insulated from the mounting plate, and in turn soldered to the "Tang"(1) of the diode. The diode body(6) is screwed directly to the inside of the monting plate(6)

Numbers 2 and 3 are soldered accordingly, and appear to control the adjustable power to the diode.

The thick red wire(5) is connected directly to the inside of the supply housing itself, with an allen screw.

Number 4 is the case(+) side of a zener diode that is soldered between the case "pin" and the insulated "Pin"(1) The case "pin"(4) looks like a brass plug with a bit of wire that sticks out the back of the mount plate(6) and is soldered to the zener diode. On the INSIDE of the mount plate, where the laser diode is mounted, this pin(4) appears to have also been soldered to the diode's tang(1):thinking: This makes no sense to me:thinking:

The 2 smaller wires(2&3) on the head unit, are insulated from the mount plate(6) but have resistance between them:thinking:

Can ANYONE shed some light here for me? I have a 3W diode on the way(the original was 2.5W) and I really don't want to wire it wrong. Please Help:candle:
Diode%20head.jpg

Kenom

Enlightened
It looks to me that you've got #1 is your neg connection. The neg and positive #4 should not be connected by any other means than the zener. 2 & 3 should as you say be connected to the corresponding black wires in the head. The black #1 wire I would venture to say is just your basic ground wire, and by connecting it to either #1 or #6 accomplish the same thing. Now I DO know that a typical c-mount laser diode is reverse polarity from a typical red laser diode in that the "wire" (copper strip) is the neg - connection and the base is the positive.

68 charger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Kenom...now I'm getting somewhere(by the way my sister lives in Helena too)

Kenom

Enlightened
Does the fan operate as it is when you turn it on? Place that c-mount back in it's place as it's very suseptible to static. You can also wire back in the two that you know for sure. The mounts that go to the zener. fire it up and determine what voltage and current your getting from wire 2 and 3.

Helena eh? with it being such a small city that suprises me. I'm no longer in helena but still montana.

68 charger

Newly Enlightened
Hey Kenom, yes...cooling fan works as it is(dissasembled) so I know that it's on a seperate curcuit, still waiting on new diode to show.

Kenom

Enlightened
Ok so you've now got to hook those orange wires to a multimeter and determine what the voltage is and what the polarity is of each wire. We can get it taken care of from there.

68 charger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kelp Kenom! alright....the 2 orange wires(2-3) of the power supply are for power adjust, and I know which is + and -.......wires 2 and 3 on the head however.....have a very distinct resistance between them...but neither one is connected to the case/disc? The power adjust potentiometer seems to work in reverse if connected incorrectly?