How about a reflectored L1?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or is SF sticking with optics for now? Low beam on the current L1 is just a little dot, not quite enough for navigating. High beam is great,though

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF L1 with reflector would be great light my opinion says. I'd buy several immediately. My current L1s are low-domes (older style), so luckily I have a little bit of flood despite the optics (but the tint sucks, so its a wash). L1 with reflector would give the beam quality and balanced beam that I want. I currently have to use a Lux-V SF to get this, including L2s, L4s, L5s, and U2s. I love these lights too, but there is a time when a 1-celled light is handier.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys should check with Chop or CM as they used to mod L1's to reflectors and/or upgraded luxIII's....

That would give you a tight spot and sidespill...

cy

Flashaholic
so17 was a straight drop-in in my L1. don't know about newer style L1's

huge improvement in beam quality!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the newer L1s are anything at all like the KL1, then a McR20 can be used. I modded a KL1 with a reflector a while back, and in hind sight, I could have done a couple of things differently. The bottom line, in any case, is that it can be done.

Although I can appreciate the efficiency numbers attained by the new optic used by Surefire, I still find the conventional beam offered by a reflector to be superior for all around use.

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
I think that surefire should replace all their optics (L1, E1L, E2L, KL1, KL3...etc.) with reflectors. Reflectors rule...and I can't stand the square-ish beam that comes from the sf optic.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
colterbay2005 said:
I think that surefire should replace all their optics (L1, E1L, E2L, KL1, KL3...etc.) with reflectors. Reflectors rule...and I can't stand the square-ish beam that comes from the sf optic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a minute, why didn't I think of this before. Since the head is dumb, but is E Series compatible, can we use an Aleph head on one? The Ecan/converter gets in the way, but we don't need it

akula88

Enlightened
This was Chop's mod on my L1-HA head :
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=593570

He did another one on my L1-BK, making it into a LE-compatible head -- making it more versatile. I was kinda cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so I took the SO17xa route, but he actually offered for a turned-down McR20, which has more focused light.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=890302

Since I had my L1-BK head modded to be LE-compatible, it lost it's L1-capability, thus I just had to bore down my L1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and make them E-compatible instead...thus accepting Aleph heads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=830486

GB> I think you need a custom eCan for an Aleph-head to fit into a stock-L1 body. The L1 contacts are a bit short and you also have to consider the protruding plastic locks of the circuit (on the body). Lastly, the L1 circuit drives at around 380ma for the older; and 420ma for the newest (ala-KL4)generation.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I really like the L1 form and the effcient electronics, but LOVE the A1/PR 27mm reflector beam