How can I temporarily attach an emitter to a HS?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I got my first 3 watt emitter...only played with 1 watt's 'till now. I really want to fire it up and see how it does with a few reflectors I have, but I have no idea when the O-sink I ordered will be here. Does anybody know of a way to temporarily attach this emitter to a heat sink so I can play with it? Wouldn't be much of a problem with a star...but it's not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: How can I temporarily attach an emitter to a H

BC, I would use a very tiny blob of Arctic Alumina Adhesive to epoxy it down. It won't be difficult to bust it loose later with an Exacto and then lap the emitter's slug to ensure full contact for the next use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry

MrMimizu

Enlightened

instead of using the adhesive, using some thermal paste would be easier. It'll be enough to "stick" it onto the heatsink and you can just wipe it off when you are done playing with the emitter.
Also, I've turned emitters on for a few seconds w/o a heatsink. Didn't seem to do any harm but if you dont' want to take chances go with the thermal paste.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

If you can drill and tap a couple holes for screws to overlap/hold the edge of the emitter against the sink, heatsink paste will be fine. (I was assuming you wanted longer runtimes.) With heatsink compounds, you want the thinnest layer possible for maximum heat transfer.

Larry

*Retired*

You can also take a sheet of plastic or metal, drill a hole in it big enough for the dome, and just clamp it at the edges to hold it to your heatsink. If you need to run a number of them, you may want to try a hinge on one side, and a clasp on the other. If you want to just do one, try those big black paper clasp things on the edges.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

NewBie's suggestion of the plastic with a dome-sized hole works well. I've been using a jig like that for quite some time now. It works well.

Paul

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried some thermal paste and some carefully placed electrical tape. And I already let the smoke out of it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

MrMimizu

Enlightened

I use arctic silver and my old copper heatsink and i've yet to burn out a led.
I've never run anything for more than 30s though.
How long did you run it for and at what current?
PM me your address and I'll send you a new emitter.
I don't want my advice to have caused someone a burned out emitter.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is VERY nice of you MrMimizu, but it wasn't because of your advice. I accidently put about 16v into it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I was using a battery pack made of 4 lithium ion batteries, only I was just tapping into one of the batteries. The cases of the batteries are bare metal and connected to negative...and the negative wire on the Lux accidently touched the case on one of the batteries making 16v. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a pic of the one I've been using. It's a 2 inch dia Al slug. The black stuff is electrical tape to ensure the leads don't short against the aluminium. The clear plastic is just a piece of packaging material cut at the corner bend (top left) and notched so an elastic can squeeze the emitter to the unmasked area in the center. I ran a 1W for several hours at 360mA. The slug warmed up nicely so the thermal contact was OK. I had planned to improve this but I haven't gotten around to it yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul

tempheatsinksml2zz.jpg

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have used just thermal paste ever since i've started.. and i've put 1A through 3 emitters in series in such a formation on the same heat sink for 5 hrs +/ I have also used a tiny drop of superglue on the edges if i don't want it to slide around.. but usually the thermal past holds it in place pretty ok.

cy

Flashaholic

use my dad's old machinest work table as a heatsink. Solid aluminum 5/8in thick X 10in X 18in.

an old NX-05 optic works great to hold down emitters. for short runs no heat compound at all, otherwise AA grease.

force downwards makes solid contact to this massive heatsink.

heatsink.JPG

heatsink 2.JPG