how did are ancesters get buy with candles

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I lived at place one time that was so dark my friends who lived in the countryside who visited would say "now this is dark"……
On a moonlit night I'd pull my ballcap brim down to cut down on the brightness causing me to squint. On a moonless night when the leaves had fallen off the trees the stars were plenty bright. It was crazy just how many stars you could see. On a hill top you could see the city glow way off in the distance.

When it was cloudy a Maglite solitaire was plenty bright for walking down to the lake I lived next to. So a stick candle with a hurricane globe was great.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I have a candle burning everyday from Fall to early Spring, gives off a sense of warmth.
My thermostat is at 61F

nearly all my led bulbs are filament style & do not burn out.

To answer your question raggie, that's all they knew

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doing deck watch in the coast guard on a moonless night was my favorite, usually because when we did it, it was without running lights. The moon just killed my night vision. About half the times I was out there I'd have to radio to the captain there were dolphins running alongside of us. I barely saw them in the daytime but saw perfectly with my night adjusted eyes. I never carried my angle head flashlight without the red filter on it and the only time I'd use it is when they'd wake me up for a watch and I was making my way up to the deck. Of course our ancestors never had to deal with a rookie dropping his flashlight, breaking the red filter, and spilling all that bright light in to everybody's eyes

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Doing deck watch in the coast guard on a moonless night was my favorite, usually because when we did it, it was without running lights. The moon just killed my night vision. About half the times I was out there I'd have to radio to the captain there were dolphins running alongside of us. I barely saw them in the daytime but saw perfectly with my night adjusted eyes. I never carried my angle head flashlight without the red filter on it and the only time I'd use it is when they'd wake me up for a watch and I was making my way up to the deck. Of course our ancestors never had to deal with a rookie dropping his flashlight, breaking the red filter, and spilling all that bright light in to everybody's eyes
i did coast guard training in cape may new jersey. i recall seeing tons of some weird crab. but im pretty sure we used flashlights

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fires outside and wood burning fireplaces inside provided decent light. They had candles, road flares, kerosene lanterns, white gas, butane, and propane mantle lanterns, Aladdin lanterns, tiki torches, cyalume light sticks, and carbide (acetylene) headlamps. They got by.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine they got along better with candles than before there were candles at all. I have some tea candles, but that is it. I don't buy larger candles because they're kind of expensive and I don't really use them anyways. I have old large and scented candles given to me as gifts and they just sit in the closet. I might burn some one of these days and maybe then I'll get into candles.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is interesting. I have wondered about if anyone came up with the idea to put a metallic plate behind the candle in order to focus the beam. And at the same time avoid getting the light directly to the eyes. Was the reflector invented before or after incandescent bulb?

wweiss

Enlightened
i did coast guard training in cape may new jersey. i recall seeing tons of some weird crab. but im pretty sure we used flashlights

Those strange crabs may have been "Ghost Crabs" - they glow in UV like scorpions. (Ocypode ceratophthalmus)
I've seen them at Cape May Point many times...

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
This is interesting. I have wondered about if anyone came up with the idea to put a metallic plate behind the candle in order to focus the beam. And at the same time avoid getting the light directly to the eyes. Was the reflector invented before or after incandescent bulb?

Some interesting reflector tech if you research "limelight" spotlights for the stage.

It's unfortunate that we underrate the tech of our ancestors, e.g. 2000 year old water pipes in Pompeii as well as the steam engine from that era.

Last edited:

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
definetely before, I`v seen candle holders and oil lamps with reflectors and even lenses from the Victorian era ;)
Polished metal reflectors, for both sunlight and firelight, have been in use since the time of the Classical/Ancient World.
The Lighthouse at Alexandria used reflectors, in around 250BC.
There are Roman oil lamps with flip-up reflectors, too. Close them down and they extinguish the flame - Simple, single output torch! :)

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those strange crabs may have been "Ghost Crabs" - they glow in UV like scorpions. (Ocypode ceratophthalmus)
I've seen them at Cape May Point many times...

The only wildlife (other than dolphins, porpoises and sharks) that I remember were the eels. Every damn time I jumped in the water. What the hell! Was i made of fish food? Do i look like your mother?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
People did NOT sleep thru the night because of the dark.
The book by Ekirch is excellent, and he has a couple essays on the web which are the basis for the book.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

Humans Used to Sleep in Two Shifts, And Maybe We Should Do It Again
MELINDA JACKSON AND SIOBHAN BANKS
4 APR 2018
>
snip
Historian A. Roger Ekirch's book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393329011/?tag=cpf0b6-20
describes how households at this time retired a couple of hours after dusk, woke a few hours later for one to two hours, and then had a second sleep until dawn.

During this waking period, people would relax, ponder their dreams, or have sex. Some would engage in activities like sewing, chopping wood, or reading, relying on the light of the moon or oil lamps.

Ekirch found references to the first and second sleep started to disappear during the late 17th century. This is thought to have started in the upper classes in Northern Europe and filtered down to the rest of Western society over the next 200 years.

Interestingly, the appearance of sleep maintenance insomnia in the literature in the late 19th century coincides with the period where accounts of split sleep start to disappear.
snip
>

Sleep We Have Lost: Pre-Industrial Slumber in the British Isles
Author(s): A. Roger Ekirch
Source: The American Historical Review, Vol. 106, No. 2 (Apr., 2001), pp. 343-386
Published by: Oxford University Press on behalf of the American Historical Association
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2651611
Accessed: 25-10-2015 21:43 UTC

https://sci-hub.st/https://doi.org/10.2307/2651611

[h=1]Sleep: Theory and Practice in the Late Renaissance[/h] KARL H. DANNENFELDT

Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences, Volume 41, Issue 4, October 1986, Pages 415–441, https://doi.org/10.1093/jhmas/41.4.415

Published: 01 October 1986

https://sci-hub.st/https://doi.org/10.1093/jhmas/41.4.415

wjv

Enlightened
Flashlights have been around for a while. . .
So not all of our ancestors were without flashlights. . .

Eveready two 'C' Cell Vulcanite Baby Flashlight with Walleye Lens
Model 2602 - Approx 1914

GEzEjIF.jpg

Of course, they did not have the capability to do an LED upgrade :huh:

rkJW4ke.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Flashlights have been around for a while. . .
So not all of our ancestors were without flashlights. . .

Eveready two 'C' Cell Vulcanite Baby Flashlight with Walleye Lens
Model 2602 - Approx 1914

GEzEjIF.jpg

Of course, they did not have the capability to do an LED upgrade :huh:

rkJW4ke.jpg

wowy there beatiful

Latest posts