How do I fix these beam artifacts? - Beamshaper!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
aan.sized.jpg

The infamous "Donut Hole" is the least of my problems.....

Yes, color rendition and artifacts are represented accurately. It looks WORSE in person. There is the light blue corona, your eyes are not messing with you. Please do not adjust your monitor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is a spotlight using a Philips 55W H3 incandescent automotive bulb, possibly scaling to 100W. Anything I throw at it WILL have to be able to withstand those heat levels. I'm quite certain Krylon coat would burn right off (plus I don't trust my sputtering skills), and so would any plastic diffuser I can put in front of the beam.

This beamshot was taken at 15ft.

PLEASE tell me if this is NORMAL for spotlights - no fix is just as much a fix as any, because I'm guessing this light is built for pure throw at the expense of everything else. The hotspot is fine.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How do I fix these beam artifacts?

The Thors all have artifact, it's a little cleaner than that, more circular pattern vs. smudge, but still there.

Short of finding a huge sputtered reflector or using an etched glass lens, your stuck!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, at least if everybody has it, it's not so worrying. I should think that at normal working ranges it looks a bit better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

At short range when using it for room illumination, what I do is I point it upwards and let it bounce off the ceiling. Much better that way and it provides a much more even flood. This light hangs around the house ready for emergency use.

Actually a crazy thought just occured to me. To withstand this kind of heat I'll need metal, right? Stippled metal, right..how bout I grab some aluminium foil, crush it up nicely, and pop it into the light. It's metal!

Update: I tried it - and I gave it the equivalent of an extremely hardcore orange peel coating that's probably way off the scale. It's hard to control the stippling that occurs with Al foil..

The upshot is that it now has the most BEAUTIFUL flood beam I have ever seen at 15ft with NO artifacts at all. The downside is that there is NO throw whatsoever now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you guys want an area flood, you now know where to get it - mom's kitchen for starters!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

aao.sized.jpg

It really does deliver a totally smooth beam that even Surefire would be proud of. Problem is, it's so smooth it doesn't even have a hotspot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spotlight with bezel closed and glass window back in its original place - yes, it closes and locks securely once you trim off the excess foil:
aap.sized.jpg

*Retired*

That looks like one of those Harbor Freight lights with the larger flat area in the reflector at the base of the bulb. Is it the "funnies" around the beam you are concerned about? Did you try your AL foil trick just on the flat area?

Kevin, have you tried lightly frosted glass? There is also a very lightly "frosted" glass called Anti-Glare (not Anti-Reflective, but you can get both AG and AR...)? 110 etch should slightly blur the defects, 75 would start smearing them together.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm! Newbie, that is a great idea.. if it's just the flat part that's causing the artifacts I might be able to install the foil trick permanently.

The spotlight in its original form is here.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!

Does that remind any one else of the old Jiffy-Pop popcorn thingies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep in mind that a reflector-level mod such as texturizing (or crinkled foil) will affect only the reflected part of the beam. This means primarily hot-spot related artifacts.

A lens-level treatment such as LDF, frosting, holo-diffuser, will affect the entire beam and may be more effective in addressing bulb-related artifacts. This is especially true for top-fill bulbs which have that pigtail on the top.

The third approach is to selectively etch regions of the bulb (tip or sides) to achieve the desired beam modification. Surefire do this with some of their bulbs and I have used acid and sandpaper etching to good effect.

Wilkey

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Azecos said:
be carefull not to damage the reflective coating with that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's worried about that.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really that's not bad for a spotlight on an inside wall, take it outside and point it at what your trying to see and the artifacts will go away. My spotlight's look horrible inside on a white wall but outside at range they work wonderful.

I don't think you need to fix anything it looks good to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
Kelly

larryk

Enlightened

Sway is correct, all my spotlights, and ones I've owned in the past, look bad when shinning 15 feet at a white wall. The only exception is the MaxaBeam. Take it outside where it is meant to be and you will not notice the artifacts anymore. Larry.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
larryk said:
Sway is correct, all my spotlights, and ones I've owned in the past, look bad when shinning 15 feet at a white wall. The only exception is the MaxaBeam.

[/ QUOTE ]

WooHoo MaxaBeam!!! No artifacts!!! I love XSA bulbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

O yeah, my input. I say the same thing as Sway and Larry. Artifacts are normal and will go away once outside. Then again, are spotlights meant for indoor use in the first place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened

I have "sputtered" some of my spotlight reflectors using high-heat (500-deg F) clear engine enamel with some success.

It doesn't make the beam perfect, but it does partially blend the artifacts in the corona without greatly affecting the hot spot or drastically reducing the throw.

It definitely increases the side spill, thus making it more useful for some purposes.

I've also found that the high-heat engine enamel doesn't tend to crackle with age like the Krylon seems to on such things as plastic Mag reflectors.

YMMV - Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey, one of these days I'm going to have to get some hydrofluoric (sp??) acid and etch a few bulbs.

I've done area-specific etching using a sand blaster and gotten some very nice beams, but it's hard to control the degree of etching and seems to reduce the output more than is necesary.

John

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ginseng: Surprisingly, this completely cures it of any and all artifacts. I myself was amazed. No bulb artifacts, or if any, they are too diluted to see at 15ft.

Sway: Thanks for confirming it, that is what I guessed. At its 'normal' intended working range it should be fine. It's just like the P90 and P91 I own, if you go whitewalling with them you can see the artifacts, but in production use it doesn't bug me at all. It's good I don't need to intervene. The foil is just for fun, to play with.

greenlight/azecos: Appreciate the concern. The stock reflector is fine, I took care not to press or scrub the foil against it.

MaxaBaker: indoor flood light, now made possible with the Al foil mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was just mulling the possibilities for using it as a blackout flood around the house, which I agree is totally not the spotlight's domain. But this is definitely a play light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts