How do I reassemble M*g switch? (Pic attached)

paulr

Flashaholic
magswitch8xt.jpg

Parts are: 1) Switch body, 2) PR slug/retainer/bulb, 3) Bi-pin slug from Magcharger, 4) spring, 5) allen screw from side of slug, 6) larger (1cm) metal cup 7) plastic sleeve 8) smaller metal cup.

I took it apart trying to put together a Mag85BP and now it's not obvious which order the parts go back in. Also, it's possible that I've lost a part or two, since some stuff fell on the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Anyone spot anything missing?

All advice/instructions appreciated and I'd appreciate permission to use them in an instructional article for the CPF Wiki.

Picture notes: pic was taken by me with an Olympus E-100RS lit with the built-in flash at f/8, scaled and captioned with GIMP. The pic is in the public domain so feel free to use it for any purpose.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How do I reassemble M*g switch? (Pic attached

Put 8 down in 1 with top facing downwards.
Put 4 inside/on top of 8.
Put 6 on top of 4.
Put 7 inside 2 or 3 (depends on which one it fell out from).
Put 2 or 3 into 1.
Align the hole in the slug with the hole on the side of 1 and use screw 5 into the slug.

Sigbjoern

DreamScape

Enlightened

My Attempt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Put 8 down in 1 with top facing downwards cavity facing up
Put 4 inside 1, on top of 8
Put 6 on top of 4, spring goes inside cavity of 6
Slide 7 into bottom of 3 small hole is nearest the bottom with larger part/flange of 7 last in
Then slide 3 with 7 over into 1 on top of 6
Align small hole of 2 with oblong of 1
Pop 5 into small hole and tighten.

Put no. 2 away in a draw or throw away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not done one of these MC Slugs so I might be wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but I had a go for you anyways!!
Was converting a mag last night with Kiu's High Temp Bi Pin converters - Awesome!!

All the Best, Colin.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Throw away 2-8. Get KIU bipin kit and saw #1 in half with dremel. Install kit and enjoy.

paulr

Flashaholic

Thanks guys. I do have one of Kiu's kits but don't have the tools to put it together right now, so I thought I'd try the BP slug first. It looks the plastic sleeve 7 in the pic is from the PR slug, and the BP slug has its own which is smaller (and which was still in my BP slug). The instructions let me get everything back together, I think. Now I gotta find where I put those 01185 bulbs. I think I have everything else ready to go. Woo hoo!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tools required: Dremel withcut off wheel. Dremel pointy milling bit. Small solder pencil and solder. Wire stripper. Metric ruler. Drill and bit right size for screws. 5/64 allen wrench. Small screw driver and small needle nose plier.
If thats too much, and you don't want the kit, I will purchase it from you. PM me if thats the case. I used to build RC models, Installing that kit is easy if you have tha experience. Otherwise be careful. The photo in the directions look like a hacksaw was used to cut #1 in half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif (A hack job. Dremel cut much cleaner.)

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened

Nikola,

I actually used a hacksaw, and was able to make a pretty clean cut by taking it slowly. I didn't try my dremel because I didn't think the cutoff wheel was large enough to make the cut (maybe there are different sizes of cutoff wheels.)

But I didn't proceed with Kiu's bipin kit because I'm uncomfortable removing the split retaining ring, and then not replacing it. What holds the switch in position without the retaining ring? Given the strong spring used in the battery compartment, I didn't want to just rely on the set screw in the switch assembly to hold the switch in place. How have you dealt with this issue?

Tim

paulr

Flashaholic

Let me get this thing flying before I figure out what to do with Kiu's kit. He did a 2nd run of them and may still have some available, so that might be a better way for you to get another one. Wasn't there an assembly method that didn't involve cutting the switch body up?

Meanwhile I had an accident with one of my 3-to-D's (see "3-to-D hazard" in the mod forum) and now I can't find one of the 3-to-D shells. Aside from that my mag85 is ready to go, as soon as that shell turns up in this mess. I hope I didn't throw it out by mistake.

DreamScape

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lightwave said:
Nikola,

I actually used a hacksaw, and was able to make a pretty clean cut by taking it slowly. I didn't try my dremel because I didn't think the cutoff wheel was large enough to make the cut (maybe there are different sizes of cutoff wheels.)

But I didn't proceed with Kiu's bipin kit because I'm uncomfortable removing the split retaining ring, and then not replacing it. What holds the switch in position without the retaining ring? Given the strong spring used in the battery compartment, I didn't want to just rely on the set screw in the switch assembly to hold the switch in place. How have you dealt with this issue?

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Lightwave,

I used a junior hacksaw too and cut very sweetly.
I installed Kiu's kit into a red 2D Mag and because the main part that screws to the switch assembly (Alu Base) is machined perfectly, It holds the switch assembly very tight within the torch. So I had no need to use the retaining ring anymore.

Once I cut the switch top off, I placed it back into the top of the mag with the Alu base on. Then I drilled the two holes making sure they were lined up with the switch base, so can screw in with out the need for the nuts. I then removed the switch, assembled the kit, screwed in the 2 x screws of the Alu base half way. Then but the switch back in, tighten the small allen key screw up then tightened the two screws on the Alu base plate.

If you tighten the screws of the Alu base to the switch assembly before inserting it, I found it wouldn't enter the mag due to misalignment!!

That's how I found it anyway, hope it helps!!

Cheers,

Col /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used a hacksaw on my switch, and cut a little bit around all sides so I wouldn't damage the long conductor inside. Before the kits came out I found this socket in my local hardware store and made my own.

mag85hb.jpg

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

a) I like that hardware store model. Where did you get socket?
b) Dremel has different diameter cut off wheels. I also have the flex extention to fit in tight spot.
c) I agree that the set screw holds switch fine. You don't need the snapring but it WOULD still work with that hardware store model!
I have 2 spare sockets coming- I know what those are going to do. So should it be called the ACE mag 85 or True Value Mag85? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened

Dreamscape,

If I read between the lines, it sounds like you are relying on a very slight misalignment between the switch and the aluminum heat sink to create a tight friction fit when the two are screwed together inside the body tube. If the alignment were perfect, then the switch and heatsink would be able to slide in the tube (before the set screw is tightened.) That gives me the additional robustness I was looking for. From a design standpoint, I was concerned about relying solely on the set screw to hold the switch in position (after all, the designers of the light didn't put that snapring there for looks). But with a small amount of misalignment between the switch and the heatsink, when the screws are tightened to bring the two together, that should create a very solid structure that is "stuck" in place. Thanks for helping me see how this can work.

bjn70,

Very nicely done! I've also made my own bipin sockets using a couple of sockets I salvaged from landscaping lights, and the results were not as pretty or as functional. One ended up being too tall, and I'm using the other one to hold MR-16 bulbs. In it, the ceramic socket is held in place by the plastic stem from the mag switch, so it wouldn't work with really hot bulbs. Then Kiu came out with his kits and I stopped trying to develop my own solution.

Nikola,

Are you using the misalgnment of the switch and the aluminum heatsink to help hold your switch in place?

Lightwave

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have not had any problem with the KIU kit modified switch coming loose at all. Just pressure and slight misalignment must be doing the trick. I just got some 6 volt Westinghouse 35T4 35 watt 6 volt bipin bulbs in and tried them. They work great instead of WA 1274 bulb. You only need 6 cell holder too. Very nice bright cheap $4 per bulb.

Latest posts