How do I secure large (3D Maglite) in car?

sygyzy

Enlightened
How do you guys secure large flashlights such as a Tigerlight, or in my case, a 3D Maglight in your vehicle? I would prefer quick access so in the cabin but if it's a trunk, then that's fine. I do not want to drill holes or place anything sticky or permanent on my car. What are you guys doing? And yes, I currently have a flashlight in there already (Inova X5) but I think my Maglite might be useful as well.

Thanks for the help.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I guess that will depend where you want to put your light, say on under the dashboard or in the compartment(center/passenger). NiteIze do have a magnetic clip for AA minimag.

juancho

Enlightened
I use the sticky velcro, in my trunk they keep the flashlight from moving around (big 6 D) and in the dash they keep a PT. 40 handy (I also have in the glove compartment two more flashlights)
Juan C.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglight makes and sells clips designed for this purpose. A couple of screws and they work great, I had mine mounted in the cargo hatch of my truck for years and it took severe punishment without falling out.
They come with 3D mags on occasion or can be purchased seperate, about 5 bucks. My connection is way to slow to find you a link, but I highly recomend them.
Pyd.

DimBeam

Enlightened
Maglite is not worth the effort to secure in the car. I did it and ended up never using it...went to my EDC every time

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Dimbeam

Funny I remember doing that, however since I've fitted an Everled bulbs to my Mags they are now first grab lights in the home and car. I guess I'm easily pleased or perhaps a bit too tight as Alkaline batteries are a darn sight cheaper than CR123 lithiums!

Dont get me wrong though, my high end lights are reserved for use when 'power'is needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that I can fit one D-cell Maglite and 3 road flares directly next to the frame of my seat. I'm the only one that drives this vehicle, so I don't have to worry about anything getting messed up should the seat be moved around. .

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I carried a 3D mag in my car, I was surprised to find that it fit nicely in the glove box. But that was a full-sized car (Ford Crown Victoria), so you your results may vary. In the event of an accident, you don't want that thing flying around in the passenger compartment.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
knot_lover said:
Duct tape works...

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read the topic title that is what came to mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I keep mine under the passanger seat. I friend of mine has some of those Mag-clips to secure the light to the door of his pick-up truck.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
In the event of an accident, you don't want that thing flying around in the passenger compartment.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't. I had a 3D Mag in the back seat of my truck when I hit a tree at 50mph. It came flying forward and hit me in the back of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif These lights make great weapons...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked car rallies for years and restraining loose equipment in the cars is always a high priority. Murphy's Law and Newton's Laws are a baaadddd combination. Spend a few bucks on the clips or try some elastic/nylon tie down straps.

BTW, the loose spare tire, tool box, or the cinder blocks used for added weight in the winter (don't use 'em -- kitty litter and sand are much better choices) are not a good way to help your odds of surviving a wreck. Tie stuff down or get rid of it!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, so much for my idea.
I was going to say put tassles on it and hang it from your rear view mirror.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif-I can see the corners report now... deth by mag light.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
All kidding aside, a light flying around in a wreck is gonna do you some damage. Any object flailing around inside a car bouncing and bashing around during a crash is bad news.

The physics and math are a little too far back in my memory, but that metal cylinder during a 60 mph wreck is probably going to be like getting whacked by a 40 to 50 pound object.

That'll leave a mark.

I'd be willing to bet that in a wreck at speeds like that you would not be able to hold onto the light no matter how hard you tried -- kind of like the 20 pound baby that in a 55 mph crash ends up, through Newton's laws, being as easy to hang onto as about a 600 pound weight (that was a physics problem for some college friends 30 years ago, and they did the math three or four times 'cause few of them believed the force could be that much).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
you could try using a rubber strap wrapped around it a few times tied to something else... perhaps even screwed down. Or get some plastic tubing and make a sleeve to slide it into with a piece of cut foam to keep it secure.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is mine in the van..
PICT6063.jpg