How do you carry your headlamp?

veppe

Newly Enlightened
When I go somewhere I'd need it, it's either on my head or in the pocket. And when I come back home, I just leave it somewhere, then cannot find it and have to search for it for couple of hours when preparing for the next trip, and finally yell my wife 'have you seen my headlamp?' :)

lilypirogova

Newly Enlightened
When I go somewhere I'd need it, it's either on my head or in the pocket. And when I come back home, I just leave it somewhere, then cannot find it and have to search for it for couple of hours when preparing for the next trip, and finally yell my wife 'have you seen my headlamp?' :)
haha were getting older :rofl:

kielbasavw

Newly Enlightened
I stuff mine in my camel back m.u.l.e. and wear it on the long walk back from a deer hunt.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the magazine pouch behind the passenger seats in the cars.
Easy to grab while driving, and nobody knows they are back there.
Other in my nightstand.
When at the cabin, one goes in my carry all pack. Just loose.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got a ZL H600w this winter and it's become my 24-7 light. I looked for clip options before remembering Davidt1's trick to rig a neck light with two constrictor knots and a small slack loop between them, along with the larger neck loop with adjustable, sliding friction knots. I've hardly taken the light off since. Also, the slack loop between the constrictor knots makes for a good bite grip, very useful.

Last edited:

Nikyu

Newly Enlightened
I keep mine in my Waterfield messenger bag with my other EDC gear, my iPad, etc.

irusro

Newly Enlightened
My ZL is usually hiding amongst the stuff in the bottom of my daypack. But I do keep a Photon light clipped near the inside / top of the pack so I can find the ZL if it is dark out.

LMart

Newly Enlightened
You'll laugh. I use an old plastic container for chocolate covered cherries from Trader Joes. Keeps my headlamp and spare batteries easy to find in my hiking backpack and guards against accidental bumps against the on switch.

desmobob

Enlightened
Mine just gets put in a pocket on my pack. When it gets close to dark, I take it out and put it in one of the thigh pockets in my cargo pants so it's easy to grab and put on.

Take it easy,
Bob

sipster

Newly Enlightened
Carry mine in a backpack pocket, with a slip of paper between a battery and the contact, so it won't turn on when i don't want it to.

D6859

Enlightened
Carry mine in a backpack pocket, with a slip of paper between a battery and the contact, so it won't turn on when i don't want it to.

Yours doesn't have a lock-out function? Unscrew the tailcap about 1/4 - 1/2 and the light won't turn on?

Last edited:

InTheDark

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up finding a nice velcro pouch that fit my headlamp and a spare battery and it's become the default home for my headlamp. Of course I just broke my current ST6 headlamps, so I'll be looking at some of these ideas again

On head, in pocket, or around neck. I have a bad habit of taking the headlamp out of my pocket and swinging it around by the strap. My ZL H600 has taken some pretty good hits doing this, all my fault of course. So now I try to keep it around my neck when I'm not actively using it :)

One of the reasons I was looking for an alternative way of carrying. Sometimes I'd carry the headlamp in my pocket, and reflexively pull it out and put it on my head. Once in a while it would catch on something, and of course my hand is already pulling it up forward my head. The band would stretch, and the light would come slingshoting out torward my face. I can just imagine the headlines, "Man found knocked out cold with a headlamp shaped impression on his forehead, Police baffled" also had to buy a new headband elastic because all that stretching probably killed it.

I got this little pouch with my first 3G USB dongle back in 2007 or 2008, and finally found a good use for it. A Zebralight H32(w) with the headband attached fits perfectly. I made a hole for the lens and stitched an o-ring to it for stability. I know, technically I didn't stitch anything to the hole :whistle:

ho4_K3.jpg

This is one of the coolest things i have seen on this site. I'll probably be picking up a zebra light just so I can do this

I always blame the kids, even though they normally don't touch my stuff. That way I don't have to admit I'm getting older and more forgetful

My ZL is usually hiding amongst the stuff in the bottom of my daypack. But I do keep a Photon light clipped near the inside / top of the pack so I can find the ZL if it is dark out.

This is the sign of a true flashaholic. Carrying a light, to find your light. You should take it one step further and put a glow in the dark sticker on your Photon, so you can find that in the dark

Last edited: