How do you dispose off of your spent batteries?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tossing your CR123A"s

I load my Splash-Lite only with used 123 cells. It'll run for quite a few hours on Surefire/Aleph depleted cells while providing a good level of task lighting. Even when my ZTS tester says 0% capacity remaining, the Splash-Lite still puts out enough light to navigate through the house.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic

Alin10123 said:
The inova lights are regulated.
Not all are. The X5 is an excellent 123-drainer but it's not regulated.

I generally take them out of my incan lights and put them into LED lights (Inova X5, L1, a Milkyspit convertible light, etc.) and use them around the house at night.

Roccomo, after they're truly drained I toss them in the trash.

kjlh3

Newly Enlightened

You may want to rethink just tossing them away in the trash. Simple reason being, the lithium in them is a key ingredient in the manufacture of crystal meth. I know your asking why, well it gives a chemical reaction that the "tweakers" need. So, to help a brother out, find someone that will dispose of them for you. Trust me, these guys go into your trash to find them.....

InfidelCastro

Banned

Can you imagine if they tried to limit battery sales the same way they do with cold pills now???
rant.gif

kjlh3

Newly Enlightened

InfidelCastro said:
Can you imagine if they tried to limit battery sales the same way they do with cold pills now???
rant.gif

That will probably never happen, they are tooooo expensive to buy at your local store. Most lawmakers have no idea that they are being used for that purpose, therefore you will never see it happen. Look how long it took to get the sudifed law passed. Generally speaking it is a maximized profit business, they are not going to buy or steal good batteries when they know they can find them in the trash. Plus they are to stupid to get on-line and find them at discount prices, so I think you are safe.....

carrot

Flashaholic

msnyder said:
Will I be flamed for suggesting...Moderator note: "dangerous suggestion edited out"
Well, personally, I would rather not catch fire from exploding lithiums.

donotwantflamingman4ug.png

Nor would I like to inhale the toxic fumes, but if that's what you like to do on your holidays, you're probably free to do that. It's not illegal, yet. America's (mostly) the land of freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:

greenLED

Flashaholic

InfidelCastro said:
rant.gif
Don't get me started... :mad: Of course it's much easier to make the life of the average, law-abiding citizen feeling like crap with a cold (or bad allergies) than it is to tackle the real problems behind meth... :rant::rant:

Noted about disposal. I guess I'll call our local service and wait for their hazardous waste disposal days.

InfidelCastro

Banned

So I guess I'm the only one who keeps using them until there's nothing but a barely visible arc of electricity in my lamp. :D

I can never get them to completely die, I usually get bored and finally change batteries. :D

Illum

Flashaholic

Load your batteries into unconductive paste, seal them in drums glued shut using tile caulk, then print a few of these
http://www.autolabels.com/images/503.gif
out and post them on there bury them in the nearest cave or tunnel and dynamite the entrance

Seriously, they are called "disposable lithium primaries" so I would duct tape the contacts to prevent shorting and toss them with my other trash

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast

PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Whenever I am getting ready to toss 'em I DO tape the ends. Then they go in the big bag with everything else....

If i were to store two lithium 123's together in a tube for example. They can still touch positive to negetive with each other right? You still haven't really made a complete circuit yet right? So there really isn't any change of the +/- on both lights to touch each other.

I was wondering because in the pelican M6 holdster, there's a spares section. The spares are stored one on top of the other. Just wanted to make sure that was safe while they are fully loaded with juice.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

As long as there is no way contact can be made. That holster is nylon or such, yes?

I keep two 123s in a Walmart orange match container in my truck. I worry about those two batteries zero!

It's perfectly legal to throw them in the landfill destined trash, except for NiCd and lead acid, but I suppose that's not environmentally responsible.

How do you guys dispose your spent batts?

Martin

Enlightened
I put all my spent batteries into my purse so I don't forget taking them to the supermarket.

It's perfectly illegal to drop them anywhere else than into a public battery collection container. Many supermarkets and most shops selling electrical / electronic stuff provide such a container. The public recycling centers do too.

This is a fairly good approach, because it stops my wife from dumping my rechargeables into the bin. Now she will put any suspect battery on my desk, allowing me to retrieve my rechargeables.

As per July 2006, it has even become illegal to drop electronic appliances (flashlights !) into the bin. Instead, they have to go to a public recycling center.
Germany, that is.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dig a hole in the ground, then connect the 2 ends together, buried them and run away to see it nuke.

:p kidding.

i toss them into the bin.